The QUICK question thread.....

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
Hey Daniel. I'm not sure I understand what you are after here, but I think I might have an old Superstar Components rear hub on a 135 wheel hidden in a storage shed on broken wheel. It's not a promise because I haven't looked for a very long time. Is it the hub you want?
no don’t want a hub, just the axle with 142x12 end caps

Last edited:

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Has there been a change to splined freehub lengths to take 12 speed?

I've taken an 11 speed Shimano cassette of an old XT hub and put it on a newish Novatec boost hub that held a SRAM NX 12 speed cassette, and there's a little bit of slop there. Assume the freehub is slightly wider and I now need a spacer - if so, what size and from where?

moorey

call me Mia
AFAIK generally no change in the freehub. Hope pro4 with HG splined freehub need a small spacer to run an 11 speed cassette (assume also for 8/9/10 and 12, not sure). Theirs is to accommodate a wider road cassette. Can’t comment on the Novatec though sorry. Maybe similar story.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
pretty sure there shouldnt be any spacer as the HG spline is made for 11speed, and NX cassette was made to fit HG spline

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Has there been a change to splined freehub lengths to take 12 speed?

I've taken an 11 speed Shimano cassette of an old XT hub and put it on a newish Novatec boost hub that held a SRAM NX 12 speed cassette, and there's a little bit of slop there. Assume the freehub is slightly wider and I now need a spacer - if so, what size and from where?
Sure that a spacer didn’t come off with the NX cassette? Possibly the novated free hub is road compatible so came with a spacer?

Scotty675

Cable thief
I've got novatech hubs on an old set of wheels, I've run 10,11 and 12 speed cassettes and never had a problem. These are older non boost hubs so they may have changed.
Not sure what cassette has gone on but one of the spacers didn't fall out from between one of the smaller cogs. Sounds silly but if cassette was stripped and cleaned it may have been missed.

x3foz

Likes Bikes
hey gang, my mate has a 2012ish Scott spark with one of those 3 chamber rear shock set ups! can he swap it out for something like a fox etc

tobbogonist

a registered member
I found this dent.
Quick question, should I worry about it?
The size of a thumb and goes in about 4 mm.
I would already be on a new bike if every bike shop on the world wasnt sold out right now.

tobbogonist

a registered member
Just cut it out with the angle grinder and use some structural tape over the top.

Or, just ride it and don't worry. Top tube?
Yeah top tube tube, I'm more worried about it ruining my polished aluminium finish. It's going to take some buffing.