The QUICK question thread.....

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
I'd assume you were trolling...but I like this. I haaaaaate non split races.

Got an old loose bearing headset I'll try it on first. braces for people thinking i'm serious..
Actually serious. I've only done it on my DJ bike (current one and others in the past) because that's the setting where I want to be able to swap forks from suspension to rigid semi-regularly without it being a PITA to swap the race every time, but it's always held up fine.

What is a split crown race except a crown race with a split cut in it?

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Best thing about bmx is the forks don’t need a crown race.
And press fit bb’s that work.

O’l screwy and a hammer is the go. Taaaaap a tap tap.

Screw drivers (especially flat blade ones) hit a point in size where they stop being screwdrivers and start being lever bars and chisels.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
For those who use Bike-Components.de, do they charge AU GST as required like CRC/others? Or should I be budgeting for a 10% sting in the tail?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Steel frames and a tighter fit.
Isn't steel more inclined to flex than aluminium? As for fit, I had assumed they were of same tolerance - tight!

Also not doing the load, distance, or in dusty/wet/muddy conditions.
I'd imagine that bmx BB often take a lot more force, but I couldn't imagine a lot of people pushing out the same sort of distance on a bmx!

moorey

call me Mia
or more though.
For those who use Bike-Components.de, do they charge AU GST as required like CRC/others? Or should I be budgeting for a 10% sting in the tail?
I thought they did. Bought tyres, it was added into the cart when I specified Australia, I think....been 8 months

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
Isn't steel more inclined to flex than aluminium? As for fit, I had assumed they were of same tolerance - tight!

I'd imagine that bmx BB often take a lot more force, but I couldn't imagine a lot of people pushing out the same sort of distance on a bmx!
Bit of force, and a lot of spinning, I would have thought. Unlike an MTB where you upshift and then its a heavy load again....at least in my mind. More about the distances and conditions though.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Bit of force, and a lot of spinning, I would have thought. Unlike an MTB where you upshift and then its a heavy load again....at least in my mind. More about the distances and conditions though.
I'm thinking forces from big landings without suspension. But there probably aren't many riders smashing that out for 50km.

moorey

call me Mia
If you've watched much BMX racing.....I don't think you'll see many landings with big forces...its all pumped or smooth. MORE about the distances and conditions, like I say. Most BMX is in short bursts, not lots of them (compared to MTB riding) and in more favourable conditions (asphalt or groomed, drained gravel)

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Yeah bmx is heaps easier on parts :rolleyes:

BMX bb’s have larger bearings.
Steels much stronger than aluminium, and isn’t as soft so tighter fits are possible.

Dirt jumping and street isn’t easy on bearings, the shock loading and the G’s you pull on the transitions are larger than your giving credit. Sit and spin doesn’t equal quicker wear. It actually gives better wear because the load is spread more evenly.

Last edited: