The QUICK question thread.....

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
QQ.
Why do my maxxis tyres always seem to have the tread slip a bit sideways on the casing? Mostly rears. Looks like a rim that needs truing, but when you check the rim, it is actually the tyre.

Any other brands less susceptible to this?

moorey

call me Mia
QQ.
Why do my maxxis tyres always seem to have the tread slip a bit sideways on the casing? Mostly rears. Looks like a rim that needs truing, but when you check the rim, it is actually the tyre.

I almost solely run MAXXIS, only ever had 2 do this. More issues previously running swobble. Are you using a bit of soapy water, and inflating really well to set the beads, depending on the casing, they’re pretty stiff.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
QQ.

Only ever had this happen with one Maxxis, and it was one I got lazy with and levered onto a tight rim rather than really getting it into the valley properly around the rim first...

creaky

XMAS Plumper
QQ.

I’ve had various brands doing this over the years. Have always wondered if it was due to bead stretching/damage if using tyre levers to get the tyre on at that point, but I have no solid 'data' to confirm.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
QQ.

I've noticed this more often with Maxxis, also had the odd kevlar bead stretch making mounting tubeless impossible.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
Sounds like it's more common than I thought. Could be mounting related, although I typically check the raised line around the bead on maxxis is always the same distance from the rim all the way around. Generally only usey hands to mount.

Could just be one of those things that I have to ignore.

moorey

call me Mia
Sounds like it's more common than I thought. Could be mounting related, although I typically check the raised line around the bead on maxxis is always the same distance from the rim all the way around. Generally only usey hands to mount.

Could just be one of those things that I have to ignore.
Also sounds like confirmation bias. If you post up about any tyre brand with wobbles you, would get people responding, and given Maxxis are the biggest seller by a mile, there will always be some. Not saying it doesn’t happen, just not commonly, or a Maxxis specific problem.

Edited becoz rongness.

Last edited:

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Also sounds like confirmation bias. If you post it up about any tire brand weird I feel wobbles you would get people responding, and given maxes are the biggest saw by a mile, there will always be some. Not saying it doesn’t happen, just not commonly, Or I Maxxis specific problem.
I've got a lot of Vittoria, Specialized, Onza and Michelin tyres as well but never had wobbly tread or stretched bead problems with them.

I think the Specialized and Onza tyres come out of the same factory, and the non dh casings tend to have weepy sidewalls. This is curable, so I don't really see it as a problem.

The Michelins can have weak sidewalls in the lower rank tyres (wild AM) and can lose sideknobs.

The Vittorias have been the best of the lot for me but are pricey locally.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk