The QUICK question thread.....

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Always use a proper e-cable cutter

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk
@HamboCairns !!!!!!!!!

I'm in a bind, sadly the best I could do
There is way better options that probably won't leap to mind immediately. Hack saw, sharp chisel or strong knife or axe driven through with a hammer, the shitty wierd cable cutter on snub nose pliers, angle grinder, jaws of life, fuck it I've even done it with a really heavy duty set of scissors! just go to a hardware store and drop a $20 or whatever on a set of side cutters. You don't need to have the park tools ones to win.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Yes, that is a parrot-beak cutter, which properly surrounds the cable so it doesn't fray or deform much (in the case of outers). Common side cutters, which are the shit I think of when I hear/read the term are straight bladed things which are basically nail clippers with delusions of grandeur.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Yes, that is a parrot-beak cutter, which properly surrounds the cable so it doesn't fray or deform much (in the case of outers). Common side cutters, which are the shit I think of when I hear/read the term are straight bladed things which are basically nail clippers with delusions of grandeur.
Like a shitty pair of tin snips...

Go the parrot beaks!

moorey

call me Mia
@HamboCairns !!!!!!!!!

There is way better options that probably won't leap to mind immediately. Hack saw, sharp chisel or strong knife or axe driven through with a hammer, the shitty wierd cable cutter on snub nose pliers, angle grinder, jaws of life, fuck it I've even done it with a really heavy duty set of scissors! just go to a hardware store and drop a $20 or whatever on a set of side cutters. You don't need to have the park tools ones to win.
Hacksaw? On either inner or outer? Hell no! You’re going to have cable strands caught in the teeth going everywhere and an horrific finish. I’d go tin snips sooner :oops:

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
@HamboCairns !!!!!!!!!

Axe and hammer next time then! I seem to have gotten away with it for now, the cable end remained compact with no fraying.

My next tool purchase will definitely be a wire cutter (nothing flashy).

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Today I learned they're called Parrot Beak Cutters.......

I thought they were just called cable cutters
They were invented by Sir Charles Parrotbeak, what do you expect?

Hambo your favourite shoppe Buntersings sells Zenith and Trojan branded cable cutters which look like the real thing. Whether they are made of shit materials remains to be seen. Mine are 117.98 years old and have cut 13 squillion stainless 4mm and 5mm cables and still cut inners neatly and sweetly but they cost 4x the cheapies.

Last edited:

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I’ve consulted the cables and the outers have told me to tell you they’re doing fine.
Thank fuck for that...

Edit: I used to butcher my outers too. More often than not I would have to stick something up the inside and squeeze the outer with pliers to get it round again. Luckily I have access to a very small tool. Once I used the proper cutters that doesn't happen and my tool is less abused.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Thank fuck for that...

Edit: I used to butcher my outers too. More often than not I would have to stick something up the inside and squeeze the outer with pliers to get it round again. Luckily I have access to a very small tool. Once I used the proper cutters that doesn't happen and my tool is less abused.
I've found a battery powered grinder to be the perfect level of overkill for cutting outers, still have to get the little bit of melted inner out though.