The QUICK question thread.....

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
When I'm shifting up (easy to hard) I feel like there's a moment of free movement (like there's no chain) before it bites and changes. Is this normal or is there a particular adjustment to be made here?

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
Whingebagoes are worse. Fuckers sit on the white line so you have to run in the wrong lane just to get a look and then speed up in overtakingbareas.
To be fair - some of those Winne-buggos are so wide they are touching the white line on both sides at the same time :oops:

treble

Likes Dirt
Possible entry for the f-wits thread, but would a Shimano m8000 XT shifter, m5100 Deore mech and ZTTO 9-42 cassette be compatible (all 11 speed)?

moorey

call me Mia
Ok cool. Yeah XD is fine. Just noticed the derailleur is designed for 51 tooth. Thought there might be some generational change between the 5100 and 8000.
They do say 11t minimum….but AFAIK that’s because shimano only make 11t in 11sp, and don’t want you using other brands cassettes. Pretty sure the m8000 derailleur says the same, and I run the 9-42 ZTTO.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Ok cool. Yeah XD is fine. Just noticed the derailleur is designed for 51 tooth. Thought there might be some generational change between the 5100 and 8000.
Yeah, generational geometry change for 5100 gives more sprocket clearance than 8000. Not an earth-shattering problem on a smaller casstte, just adjust the b-gap to suit. It'll be fine with 42. All Shimano's MTB 11-sp. stuff runs the same cable pull, so no problem with shifter compatibility.

moorey

call me Mia
Yeah, generational geometry change for 5100 gives more sprocket clearance than 8000. Not an earth-shattering problem on a smaller casstte, just adjust the b-gap to suit. It'll be fine with 42. All Shimano's MTB 11-sp. stuff runs the same cable pull, so no problem with shifter compatibility.
Despite others saying it works, I maintain the 12sp shimano mechs won’t work perfectly with 11sp. Tried 3 times now, always get weird minor unacceptable shifting issues.

moorey

call me Mia
I haven't tried mixing 11 & 12-sp. stuff, so I'll file your experience to memory. :)
@Scotty T (I think) had the same experience. The indexing seemed fine, but consistently hesitant to drop down in particular gears. I played with fickle 12sp chain length and B screw, lined up the lines as recommended…just not quite. It’s most likely user error, but I ran out of patience, and I’m far too fussy about shifting.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
All Shimano's MTB 11-sp. stuff runs the same cable pull, so no problem with shifter compatibility.
Shimano is good like that.

My gravel bike has a 11spd road hydro Shimano 105 set up. Was running the RD105 with a road link to fit 11-42 cassette.
Swapped to a GRX rx812 rear derailleur to get rid of the road link and it shifts perfectly, same pull ratio.

treble

Likes Dirt
Thanks all!

I’m a bit confused with the b-gap. There’s a marking on the derailleur to adjust in reference to a 51t. Don’t think I can wind it in close enough to line up with the 42

moorey

call me Mia
Thanks all!

I’m a bit confused with the b-gap. There’s a marking on the derailleur to adjust in reference to a 51t. Don’t think I can wind it in close enough to line up with the 42
Yeah, it’s not so easy. Even on the 46 it didn’t equate perfectly, and probably didn’t help my attempts. I only have the long cage XT. Middy wasn’t available unfortunately. It’s better suited to the 46.

tobbogonist

a registered member
Sooooo - Mr Caravan driver - you can do 85 in a 100 zone but only 70 in a 80 zone and only 50 in a 60 zone - is there a reason or are you all just dicks.
I am convinced there is a secret website where the drivers vie for the top spot of how many cars they can back up behind them.
I've had to do a few trips with the tiny house trailer fully laden with supplies. About 3 tonne. Where we are there is one road, single lane highway. I'm certain I've become a valid excuse for why people are late for work in the area. 'that fucking 90's discovery was doing 60 up the hill again'.

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
These only come in Deore wide range, yeah? Can't see options for SLX/XT for the poseurs out there. Asking for a Friend...