The QUICK question thread.....

moorey

call me Mia
I’m not going to buy this, but I’m pretty sure this isn’t a 2012 patriot because it has a 1 1/8th headtube and a 2012 patriot has a 1.5 https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/kewarra-beach/men-s-bicycles/orange-patriot-mountain-bike/1280012086
Is it an older patriot, or an underforked 222?
More telling, that’s a 27.2 post. That looks like 05ish to me…but there’s sooooo many variations of a patriot, it’s impossible to know without closer looking. Swingarm style looks oooooold. This is a 2013 patriot..

ausdb

Being who he is
I need to service my sons old 2008 Rebas, I have a spare set of grey 32mm wipers with foam rings like these.

But according to the RS parts lists the ones should be -11.4308.850.000 Reba/Pike/Boxxer Dust/Oil Seal/Foam Ring Kit
which has an extra seal like these
Boxxer Reba Pike 32mm wipers

Is the extra seal really needed?

SummitFever

Eats Squid
I need to service my sons old 2008 Rebas, I have a spare set of grey 32mm wipers with foam rings like these.

But according to the RS parts lists the ones should be -11.4308.850.000 Reba/Pike/Boxxer Dust/Oil Seal/Foam Ring Kit
which has an extra seal like these
Boxxer Reba Pike 32mm wipers

Is the extra seal really needed?
No. Extra seal not needed.

Minlak

custom titis
Is there a thread for asking DIY related questions?
Yes there is

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
Yes there is

I tentatively clicked on that, thinking it was an autofellatio help group.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
I'm building a patio and I need to hold the uprights
with stirrups. I don't have a vertical drill that would ensure a perfect alignment with the stirrup holes for bolts, is there any other way you'd recommend for holding them in place?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Mark them and drill from both sides. I did that for the 150mm square posts on my gazebo. Only had to ream one of 32 holes in situ. And drill as close to square as you can, get someone to eyeball you or stop and check, use a square etc. You know to leave a small gap under the post?

HamboCairns

Mark them and drill from both sides. I did that for the 150mm square posts on my gazebo. Only had to ream one of 32 holes in situ. And drill as close to square as you can, get someone to eyeball you or stop and check, use a square etc. You know to leave a small gap under the post?
Ah I didn't know about the gap!

What's the reason for that?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Ah I didn't know that!

What's the reason for that?
Allow water to drain otherwise the bottom of the post can stay wet and rot. Biggie up there. Eventhough there are holes in the base the post is in contact with 70 or 80% of the gal and it will seal leaving the water that the post absorbs in rain to seep out through the side, bottom section can stay lots wet. Even with H4 treated posts I leave a gap or put drainage under if concreted in.

HamboCairns

Allow water to drain otherwise the bottom of the post can stay wet and rot. Biggie up there. Eventhough there are holes in the base the post is in contact with 70 or 80% of the gal and it will seal leaving the water that the post absorbs in rain to seep out through the side, bottom section can stay lots wet. Even with H4 treated posts I leave a gap or put drainage under if concreted in.
Great tip thanks!

How much gap do you recommend?