The QUICK question thread.....

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looking for recommendations for a tubeless touring tire to fit 29 inch wheels. We received the maps of out trip starting in mid July and it's over 99% paved. I was going to ride Rekon Race tires but with little gravel something smoother with less rolling resistance would be better. Thanks

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Looking for recommendations for a tubeless touring tire to fit 29 inch wheels. We received the maps of out trip starting in mid July and it's over 99% paved. I was going to ride Rekon Race tires but with little gravel something smoother with less rolling resistance would be better. Thanks
Assegai front/ Dissector rear. For that 0.00000000000001% chance that you need the grip. You'll hate yourself otherwise. What's the internal width of your rim?

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I've been very impressed with the Vittoria Terreno Zero TNTs on my monstercross. They have a variety of widths and the pricing from bikebug is good.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

DMan

I've been very impressed with the Vittoria Terreno Zero TNTs on my monstercross. They have a variety of widths and the pricing from bikebug is good.

He is doing for than 10km though...:p Maxxis Rambler. Roll really well and quite grippy.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Schwalbe Thunder Burts. Been running them on my gravel/bikepacking bike for a long time now.

Can also swap in a Racing Ray for more grip on the front.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Maxxis Pace.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
What do the off-road sections consist of? Are they just gravel roads/mostly-smooth green trails? Or proper rocky trails?

Unless proper rocky and with some descending speed (ie: steep gradients) in the mix I'd be looking at some 700cgravel tyres. Much lighter, way less wind resistance on the road sections, still capable of riding some mellow trails at a respectful pace.

I run 700x44c WTB Riddlers on my flat-bar gravel bike, and they're a pretty sweet bend of easy spinning on paved road/bike path/gravel roads, and while I wouldn't say they're great off-road tyres - they're predictable enough you shouldn't die unless you do something stupid. I've been quite surprised how well they grip tbh, but 0mm of suspension travel front and rear of that bike doesn't see me getting too adventurous with them.

DMan

What do the off-road sections consist of? Are they just gravel roads/mostly-smooth green trails? Or proper rocky trails?

Unless proper rocky and with some descending speed (ie: steep gradients) in the mix I'd be looking at some 700cgravel tyres. Much lighter, way less wind resistance on the road sections, still capable of riding some mellow trails at a respectful pace.

I run 700x44c WTB Riddlers on my flat-bar gravel bike, and they're a pretty sweet bend of easy spinning on paved road/bike path/gravel roads, and while I wouldn't say they're great off-road tyres - they're predictable enough you shouldn't die unless you do something stupid. I've been quite surprised how well they grip tbh, but 0mm of suspension travel front and rear of that bike doesn't see me getting too adventurous with them.
Yep, like he said. The Rambler looks very similar to the Riddler actually.

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Thanks.
We just received the maps 2 days ago and the ride is 99% paved. Having said that, we will be on the Alaskan Highway from Whitehorse to Northern Alberta. I have read that the definition of paved varies considerably. Then paved pretty much all the way to Moab, except about 50 kms of good gravel.
We rode on Schwable Mondial's the length of the Andes a few years a few years ago. They were great; except for the punctures. So that's why I am after tubeless with low rolling resistance.
The wheels on the bikes (both 29er hard tails) will have proper MBT tires for Whitehorse and taken off till Moab.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
44mm Riddlers weight the same as a 2.1 (54mm) Thunder Burt.

Your wrists will love the bigger bag 29ers if you can fit them in.
I had some 29er Maxxis Torch I ran for a bit (setup tubeless with great difficulty), the reduced wind resistance with the skinnier tyres when I changed to the Riddler was very noticeable.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Thanks.
We just received the maps 2 days ago and the ride is 99% paved. Having said that, we will be on the Alaskan Highway from Whitehorse to Northern Alberta. I have read that the definition of paved varies considerably. Then paved pretty much all the way to Moab, except about 50 kms of good gravel.
We rode on Schwable Mondial's the length of the Andes a few years a few years ago. They were great; except for the punctures. So that's why I am after tubeless with low rolling resistance.
The wheels on the bikes (both 29er hard tails) will have proper MBT tires for Whitehorse and taken off till Moab.
You can run nontubeless as tubeless, you just go through more sealant to get the bead to seal. I honestly think that it wouldn't be that much more advantageous running tubeless on the road, the higher tyre pressures usually makes it harder for the sealant to work and you've got to stuff around with tyre plugs for the bigger holes.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Thanks.
I still reckon the Vittoria Terreno Zero TNT in a 700x35 are the go. I'm very impressed with them and after coming off Schwalbe Mondials the rolling resistance is night and day. Also I've found Vittoria TNT tires on my MTBs very tough.

The only thing I would say is that you run a very fibrous sealant like Stans Race, or Effeto topped up with the Vitamina particles. The higher pressures you will be running mean that a regular sealant will struggle.

Another option would be to run Mr Tuffey tyre liners and those Tubolito tubes? I've found the tyre liners to be really good at keeping glass and thorns out.

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I still reckon the Vittoria Terreno Zero TNT in a 700x35 are the go. I'm very impressed with them and after coming off Schwalbe Mondials the rolling resistance is night and day. Also I've found Vittoria TNT tires on my MTBs very tough.

The only thing I would say is that you run a very fibrous sealant like Stans Race, or Effeto topped up with the Vitamina particles. The higher pressures you will be running mean that a regular sealant will struggle.

Another option would be to run Mr Tuffey tyre liners and those Tubolito tubes? I've found the tyre liners to be really good at keeping glass and thorns out.

Thanks. I read on the Vittoria site that the Terrenos won't work on my hookless wheels. But I hadn't thought of tire liners. I have heard good things about them. I will look into it tonight when I finish my domestic duties.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Did Vic and NSW governments admit that they think the school system is just a complicated babysitting franchise? Or can some educators on here defend this proposal?

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
Did Vic and NSW governments admit that they think the school system is just a complicated babysitting franchise? Or can some educators on here defend this proposal?

Yeah it's pretty shit. The whole education system is going down the drain, and they couldn't care less. What they care about is keeping the indentured slaves feeding the machine.