The Rotorua Questions Thread

frank_n

Likes Dirt
HaHa, Dont have GoPro etc....not fast enough. I find taking pics on the phone as I'm riding......a challenge so I don't. I'll try to take some during the trip. List of trails rode today;
1st loop - (shuttle) BillyT, GRock, Roller Coaster, Chop Suey
2nd; (shuttle plus additional climb) Tuhoto Ariki, then by accident Riff Raff and Rocky Horror both Cat5 these were mostly walked, climbed down.
3rd; Be Rude not to and Mad if you don't. Climbed back up to Hot X Buns(bloody hard slog up), then Dragons Tail and Mad if you Don't again. Then rode out for a coffee and a soak in the hot pool. Legs are feeling it.

Last edited:

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
HaHa, Dont have GoPro etc....not fast enough. I find taking pics on the phone as I'm riding......a challenge so I don't. I'll try to take some during the trip. List of trails rode today;
I take it Corners, Huckelberry Hound, Split Enz etc are all gone now to logging?

I agree that climb/walk up to Hot X is crazy.. somehow never have the mojo to ever get up and do that one again because of it.

If you have time at the end of the day and no more shuttles and you are at the junction at the top of Be Rude Not 2, ride down and then across to the Challenge tracks, they are good fun fast rolling trails that are an easy climb back up and worth repeats and ok to do with tired legs.

bowtajzane

Likes Dirt
Mate good to see your having fun..if you don't have fun there then there's no hope for you. ...
it's good to see your getting outside your comfort zone,even if buy accident.....
the Ziwi's black trails are definitely that...bit of a shock to the system sometimes...:shocked:
definitely do as Moggio said....do a few repeats of challenge tracks, then have coffee at the trailhead.....
don't forget to checkout the pastry shop in town,i think someone posted the name of it in here somewhere...:hungry::hungry:

frank_n

Likes Dirt
Split Enz is out, not sure about Huckleberry but I think so. Huck Riding, Nat DH & Corners are still accessible.
Today's trails;
Rose bank, then peddled up to K2(mistake as its part of racing) back down to Gunna Gotta, Paddy'run, Tickler which should be named Teaser because each time you think the climb should end - it continues! Bunny Jugs 1 & 2.
Shuttle up, rode Eagle vs Shark (woo hoo), climbed Hill Rd (full sun) to Frontal Lobotomy, along that climb, took Shark Link by mistake but fun. Back along Hill Rd, Frontal Lobotomy again, legs beginning to flag now.
Then Corners, Spring Roll, Sweet and Sour, Dragons Tail, Mad if You Don't and finally rolled out.
Will use the shuttle more tomorrow.

frank_n

Likes Dirt
No just booked in to the Thermal Spring Holiday Park. 3.5/5.
Today's rides;
9:30am Shuttle to station9 then peddle up to and down Tihi o Tawa, last section of Billy T, G Rock, Chesnut, Roller Coaster and Moonshine as the warm up.
Short climb to pick-up (station7) - back to 9 then longer climb to Tuhoto Ariki (better the 2nd time), one OTB then climb to Kung Fu Walrus, great track, then onto KFW ext - these tracks are at the top of the forest and don't get much sun so muddy and roots - a contrast to the lower tracks. On to the shores of Green Lake, just stunning. No-one around here. Rode along and up Geff's link and climbed Pondy Rd. On to Pondy DH (reminds me of Adelaide tracks, hard packed with erosion channels). Then Pondy New, back onto Moonshine, connect with Roller Coaster, then Old Chevy (more like lumbering V8) and roll out and back to campsite for a sandwich, hot pool and general revival. Went to town tonight, browsed, eat in the market, popped into the Brew Bar for a local pint (driving so only 1), groceries and home again to do this. I'll post some more pics later.

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How good is Kung Fu Walrus eh!! Think its my favourite trail now. For the record, split enz is gone, frankenfurter is being felled as we speak. The bottom block of Corners and Red Riding Huck is being prepared to be logged. They are clearing some skid roads but will be rideable until Christmas. Bottom half of National Dh is gone already

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
No just booked in to the Thermal Spring Holiday Park. 3.5/5.
Today's rides;
9:30am Shuttle to station9 then peddle up to and down Tihi o Tawa, last section of Billy T, G Rock, Chesnut, Roller Coaster and Moonshine as the warm up.
Short climb to pick-up (station7) - back to 9 then longer climb to Tuhoto Ariki (better the 2nd time), one OTB then climb to Kung Fu Walrus, great track, then onto KFW ext - these tracks are at the top of the forest and don't get much sun so muddy and roots - a contrast to the lower tracks. On to the shores of Green Lake, just stunning. No-one around here. Rode along and up Geff's link and climbed Pondy Rd. On to Pondy DH (reminds me of Adelaide tracks, hard packed with erosion channels). Then Pondy New, back onto Moonshine, connect with Roller Coaster, then Old Chevy (more like lumbering V8) and roll out and back to campsite for a sandwich, hot pool and general revival. Went to town tonight, browsed, eat in the market, popped into the Brew Bar for a local pint (driving so only 1), groceries and home again to do this. I'll post some more pics later.
If you hit Tuhotu Ariki again, take the fork near the end onto Hatupatu. It is a very cool trail

frank_n

Likes Dirt
How good is Kung Fu Walrus eh!! Think its my favourite trail now. For the record, split enz is gone, frankenfurter is being felled as we speak. The bottom block of Corners and Red Riding Huck is being prepared to be logged. They are clearing some skid roads but will be rideable until Christmas. Bottom half of National Dh is gone already
from SouthStars Shuttles FB post:
We've had a few people asking about upcoming logging. Logging the bottom half (below Hill Road) of Jumps and Corners tracks is scheduled for January 2017. During the week of March 21st 2016, in preparation for this logging, Timberlands will be clearing some old skid roads off the side of Hill Rd into this block. This means during this week instead of the shuttle starting at 1pm, it will start at 4:15pm from Waipa. The bottom half of Corners and Jumps will be shut during this roading operation, but there are plenty of other tracks to ride for that week. The Rotorua Trails Trust plan to reopen these tracks following this week. The shuttle will operate normally for Easter Friday-Easter Monday and thereafter. When we get to January 2017 we may still be able to operate the shuttle outside logging hours, and during the weekends, provided the shuttle route doesn't get too beaten up by the logging trucks. We will also look at other options such as Katore Rd during logging. Following logging, the trails will be rebuilt, bigger and better!

Rehab to get the tree growth might take a few years though. The landscape after logging is very barren, chopped up etc. (my words, not the Shuttle company)

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
from SouthStars Shuttles FB post:
We've had a few people asking about upcoming logging. Logging the bottom half (below Hill Road) of Jumps and Corners tracks is scheduled for January 2017. During the week of March 21st 2016, in preparation for this logging, Timberlands will be clearing some old skid roads off the side of Hill Rd into this block. This means during this week instead of the shuttle starting at 1pm, it will start at 4:15pm from Waipa. The bottom half of Corners and Jumps will be shut during this roading operation, but there are plenty of other tracks to ride for that week. The Rotorua Trails Trust plan to reopen these tracks following this week. The shuttle will operate normally for Easter Friday-Easter Monday and thereafter. When we get to January 2017 we may still be able to operate the shuttle outside logging hours, and during the weekends, provided the shuttle route doesn't get too beaten up by the logging trucks. We will also look at other options such as Katore Rd during logging. Following logging, the trails will be rebuilt, bigger and better!

Rehab to get the tree growth might take a few years though. The landscape after logging is very barren, chopped up etc. (my words, not the Shuttle company)
Agree. Rotorua soil doesnt like the sun. Will be a sad day

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Shame about Corners bottom half being logged probably one of the best tracks ever.
Next would be Eagle v shark woohoo.