The Rotorua Questions Thread

frank_n

Likes Dirt
Today's trails;
Caught 9:30am shuttle to Station 9 - BillyT, G Rock, Chestnut, Roller Coaster & Moonshine. Rode up to Station 7 and caught next shuttle back to S9.
Eagle vs Shark then rode up and completed Sidewinder. Continued riding up to Hot X Buns, much better this time as I'm more confident on the tracks. Then onto B Rude not to, quick ride to Lion, across to Turkish Delight and Soakhole. Along Pigeon Run(but not the jumps). Then rode to and did Te Huinga, up Arepa, the a Down the Guts onto Roadside then rode to and completed Rose Bank.
Moved in to a new cabin, this one has a double bed, whoooo hoooo, possibly good nights sleep for the next 5 nights!

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Tempted to head over for a week, next month. The excuse being a prep run for lugging my bike and shit over to the states and europe later this year.
I'm going to have to be very budget conscious though so what are the cheaper accommodation options like in terms of bike storage and security? Ideally, I'd like to keep the bike in my room so thinking motels might be the best option.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Tempted to head over for a week, next month. The excuse being a prep run for lugging my bike and shit over to the states and europe later this year.
I'm going to have to be very budget conscious though so what are the cheaper accommodation options like in terms of bike storage and security? Ideally, I'd like to keep the bike in my room so thinking motels might be the best option.
I stayed with these guys www.rocksolidrotorua.co.nz last year. They had a storage area inside the hostel where I kept the bike locked up. The building was overly secure. I could have easily kept the bike in my room if I had wanted to "sneak" it past the front desk. I washed the bike down in a shower before leaving. Location is convenient to town, really central. It is a bit of a hike to redwoods and skyline. Owners were nice folks.

frank_n

Likes Dirt
POSM, The Thermal Park accom isn't bad. 3.5/5. budget wise the cabins at the Thermal park are NZ 70-80 night. 4 single bunks in a cabin or better is the double bed/bunk configuration. You can put your bike in the cabin or lock it to the balcony outside. If you stay there, Redwoods MTB area is a 5-10min bike ride away. This is at the south end of town (Springfield). The caravan park is like a Big4 in Oz. cooking facilities etc, I'd suggest you take 1 fry pan, 1 pot and basic utensils with you or purchase at the local supermarket (that is what I did). They said they have utensils for use but most have walked away.
Thermal park is an NZ18.00 each way taxi ride to the centre of town, however it is easily rideable if you want. Everyone is very friendly. Riding is good.
You might find it better to fly to Rotorua and get a taxi to your accom. Car hire from RentaDent incl bike rack is quite cheap. Weather is unpredictable , could be sunny, could be raining.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Cheers lads.

Will most likely fly into Auckland and hire a station wagon. I'll be flying with Qantas as I get extra baggage allowance (and free booze)

Food-wise, I'll probably live off take-away/counter meals so self-catering isn't an issue. As I'll be able to drive to the trails every day I've got a bit more freedom of choice where I stay. Anyone know what accommodation is like in town?

frank_n

Likes Dirt
Tons of it, backpackers etc.
I talked to the owner of this establishment and whilst I didn't stay there she sounded very helpful and they have good reviews
Funky Green Voyager - BBH
Station wagon from James Blond is probably your best bet. I had one for two weeks, no probs. just check there is a spare tyre in the vehicle. Ran well, comfortable.

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
I talked to the owner of this establishment and whilst I didn't stay there she sounded very helpful and they have good reviews
Funky Green Voyager - BBH
My folks stayed with them when they were in Roto. Owned by a couple with young kids, IIRC he's a Kiwi and she comes from Germany. Decent place but nothing fancy. The combined kitchen and living was quite big. The Christmas pot luck lunch they did was really good.

crae

Squid
Hi there heading to Rotorua with 4 mates on 13th April. Flying into Auckland arrive at 1:30pm. Hired a station wagon from NZ rent a car for $140 NZD for 5 days returning 17th April.

Mates have booked a house somewhere close to redwoods. Should be epic with some dry weather.

Thinking about hiring a bike bag for my Norco Sight for $50 a week Ecco brand? Flying with Qantas as I had frequent flyer points and I am a gold member so I get extra baggage for free. Flying back with Virgin as they were the cheapest.Need to purchase travel insurance. Mates have used TDI but fine print says u need to pay extra for other valuables. Assume this relates to my bike? i will call them to find out the go.

Anyone suggest anything to take for the trails? Just the usual pumps, spare tubes (running tubeless but), tyre combos? Was going to put Highrollers 2 front & rear as I have them sitting here. Open or Full face helmet?

Any other must Do's when in town?

crae

Squid
Heading to Rotoura on 13th April to 17th April with a group if 5.

Flying into Auckland with Qantas as I used some frequent flyer mileage and they offer extra baggage for free.

Thinking of hiring a EVOC travel bag for $50 a week. Assume this is better then bike box from local bike shop?

I will be taking my Norco sight killer B. The plan is to ride Redwoods 90% of the time.

Hired a cheap older station wagon for my bike for $138NZD which I thought was cheap hopefully it gets me there:shocked:

Was going to put new Maxxis Highroller 2 front and rear running tubeless also. assume this will work well in Rotorua:happy:

Is there any particular tools accessories that are essentials to take on the trip?

Any must Do's apart from riding in Rotorua Eats, coffee, pubs etc

Hoping for some dry weather but hey its NZ!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Evoc bike bag is nice and safe for your bike. However they weigh HEAPS! And are a bitch to wheel around. If packed well the bike box would be my preference for next trip. To get my bike in the evoc I had to pop pedals, bars, rear much, much hanger, and seat/post off. I was able to fit all my ride gear in there as well.

Familiarise yourself with the drive from Auckland to Rotorua before you get there. Basically there are 2 ways. One is practically a straight line. The other a winding mofo that takes forever. The gps will send you the winding bullshit way 9 times out of 10.

I ran high rollers in Rotorua and was well pleased.

Tool wise I had all my hex keys, tubes, tyre leavers, pump, and shock pump. No really much need for anything as the town is well stocked with bike shops. But if you wish to avoid a holiday $ blow out...

Things to keep an eye out for..."eat Street" (you'll find it easy enough) has some good places to eat. Some have great dinner deals before a certain time, I think it was 7pm. I can't think of anywhere particularly awesome that I ate. Coffee was generally a let down. There is a nifty cafe at the base for redwoods, a wash station for bikes, and excellent public toilet facilities. I usually like the coffee from the ye olden times bus cafes at the airport.

A big must do is the hot springs. Nothing like a soak in natural hot springs after a hard day at it.

Insurance wise...I use TDI when travelling. Have done so for years. Fortunately never needed to claim, so don't know how good they really are when it counts. For your gear, most household contents insurance will provide cover while I'm NZ. This is usually for up to 60 or 90 days. In my opinion it is a better option because will usually be new for old. Have a close look for yourself.

Helmet! I took my full face. It was hot and unnecessary. Take both if you can.

You'll have plenty of fun, it's a great place.

crae

Squid
Thanks for the reply pinkpoodle. I am leaning to a bike box as well. I will make some calls today to LBS around the area. Plan to get my bike serviced before I go anyway.

That's a shame about the coffee. :shocked:

Will check the travel route to Rotorua I have done it before a while ago cant seem to remember what way I went. I didnt recall it was that long.

What about riding gear short sleeve v long sleeve, wet weather gear etc? Being in QLD I only have short sleeves and no warmer gear while riding.

I ended up taking out bike insurance for $30 per month this covers the bike for travel old for new if anything happens. I will cancel it when I get home.

Will take TDI travel insurance as you say also.

Cant Wait!

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Unless you buy extra luggage for the flight you can't take much. Evoc bag is nearly 7Kg, leaves you 16kg for bike, shoes, tools, helmet etc. Carry on 7Kg can use for your clothes... wear all your warm stuff. We went with a bunch of us and all just took a few tools so there was no doubling up and kept the weight down. So really you got to take the basics and just buy stuff as you need it in Rotorua.

frank_n

Likes Dirt
Heading to Rotoura on 13th April to 17th April with a group if 5.

Flying into Auckland with Qantas as I used some frequent flyer mileage and they offer extra baggage for free.

Thinking of hiring a EVOC travel bag for $50 a week. Assume this is better then bike box from local bike shop?

I will be taking my Norco sight killer B. The plan is to ride Redwoods 90% of the time.

Hired a cheap older station wagon for my bike for $138NZD which I thought was cheap hopefully it gets me there:shocked:

Was going to put new Maxxis Highroller 2 front and rear running tubeless also. assume this will work well in Rotorua:happy:

Is there any particular tools accessories that are essentials to take on the trip?

Any must Do's apart from riding in Rotorua Eats, coffee, pubs etc

Hoping for some dry weather but hey its NZ!
If by extra baggage for free you mean you can take 2 checked-in bags then taking an Evoc bag is not an issue. The bike weighs ~14kg + 7kg + 2kg of spares/tools and you can put extras in 2nd checked bag.
Tools : Set of useful Allen keys , 1 multi-tool, shock pump, mini-pump, torx keys. knife(cutting duct tape etc), chain breaker, lock-tite. Duct-tape. I don't think you need to take a floor pump.
Spares: rear derailleur hanger, 4*CO2 canisters (you are allowed to fly with a small number, e.g 2 in bike bag, 2 in 2nd bag) inflation head. Couple of small bottles of Stan's. Tyre levers. Digital pressure gauge.
I wouldn't bother with spare tyres. I used (tubeless) Schwalbe Racing Ralph (rear) and Hans Dampf (front) and didn't have a problem but it wasn't really wet. Maxxis Highroller would work well.
There are not many rocks on the tracks in RR so you are unlikely to do damage on the wheel/tyres. Hucks to flat not included.
Pick-up some duty free on your way.
Hope your group of 5 have more than 1 station wagon between you.
Beer, food is plentiful.
Redwoods shuttles : check
Southstar Shuttles Rotorua, 0276543038 See Facebook status below for daily updates!
NZD 100=20 shuttles.
Rainbow Mountain DH track(20min drive Sth of Redwoods) is worth 1 ride, hard climb up though.
Natural hot water spring in river at base of Rainbow Mountain is a good soak + byo booze after riding.
Lake Taupo / Craters of the Moon MTB park for a day trip (1hr Sth)

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Arrived here last night. Got out on Redwoods today. already don't want to leave!

Pink P, I took the windy road and spent most the journey stuck behind a convoy of b-doubles. Bollocks to that on the return journey. Also so many roadworks!

Not much advise I can give right now but the Irish bar Hennesey's is closed down however there is an awesome deli next door that's become a pop-up bar for Hennesey's whilst their renovations are on the go.

It's got good food, a decent selection of beers and a chilled atmosphere.

All the backpackers where I am staying are boring fuckers. No late night parties. Nary a cask of goon to be seen.

crae

Squid
If by extra baggage for free you mean you can take 2 checked-in bags then taking an Evoc bag is not an issue. The bike weighs ~14kg + 7kg + 2kg of spares/tools and you can put extras in 2nd checked bag.
Tools : Set of useful Allen keys , 1 multi-tool, shock pump, mini-pump, torx keys. knife(cutting duct tape etc), chain breaker, lock-tite. Duct-tape. I don't think you need to take a floor pump.
Spares: rear derailleur hanger, 4*CO2 canisters (you are allowed to fly with a small number, e.g 2 in bike bag, 2 in 2nd bag) inflation head. Couple of small bottles of Stan's. Tyre levers. Digital pressure gauge.
I wouldn't bother with spare tyres. I used (tubeless) Schwalbe Racing Ralph (rear) and Hans Dampf (front) and didn't have a problem but it wasn't really wet. Maxxis Highroller would work well.
There are not many rocks on the tracks in RR so you are unlikely to do damage on the wheel/tyres. Hucks to flat not included.
Pick-up some duty free on your way.
Hope your group of 5 have more than 1 station wagon between you.
Beer, food is plentiful.
Redwoods shuttles : check
Southstar Shuttles Rotorua, 0276543038 See Facebook status below for daily updates!
NZD 100=20 shuttles.
Rainbow Mountain DH track(20min drive Sth of Redwoods) is worth 1 ride, hard climb up though.
Natural hot water spring in river at base of Rainbow Mountain is a good soak + byo booze after riding.
Lake Taupo / Craters of the Moon MTB park for a day trip (1hr Sth)
Thanks for the tips Frank. I am flying solo in station wagon as I am on a later flight. Other lads have a ute and wagon also. Interesting about C02 catridges on planes wouldnt have thought they would be allowed. I will take 4 as you said.

Yes I am allowed 2 checked in bags ( 1 clothes 1 bike box) plus carry on. Only issue will be return trip on virgin but I paid extra for additional baggage already.

Planning on just riding redwoods i think. How many shuttles a day if we are planning to ride 2-3 hrs a day?

I just stripped my bike down to give it a clean and re-grease bearings etc. I have heard that customs can be pretty picky about bikes and cleanliness?

Hit up LBS today and they can pack up my bike and supply box for $40. Might just run with that i reckon.

crae

Squid
Arrived here last night. Got out on Redwoods today. already don't want to leave!

Pink P, I took the windy road and spent most the journey stuck behind a convoy of b-doubles. Bollocks to that on the return journey. Also so many roadworks!

Not much advise I can give right now but the Irish bar Hennesey's is closed down however there is an awesome deli next door that's become a pop-up bar for Hennesey's whilst their renovations are on the go.

It's got good food, a decent selection of beers and a chilled atmosphere.

All the backpackers where I am staying are boring fuckers. No late night parties. Nary a cask of goon to be seen.
Nice work mate. Shame about the lame parties. At least you wont have a hangover i guess..