The Self Sufficient Bike Camping Thread.

FatGuts

Likes Dirt
My favorite part.

#nickstevensisachunt
Hehe, its the Nick Stevens bit I was confused about but now I have realized its probably your tapatalk thingy....

That was a good part of the trip, loaded touring bikes on a BMX track.....I was half expecting to fold the back wheel over.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
So it has been a while since I was on here. I sent the link to a mate of mine as he is planning to do some overnight stuff and a bigger trip.

I started to read the whole thing again, jeez its a good thread.

Anyway, a couple of mates and I jumped on our bikes last year and headed off into the wild blue yonder, not technically "bikebacking" but you get that.

Have a read, ask any questions you like:

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=tS&doc_id=15839&v=Cs
Awesome read Fatguts! Great to see you and some mates getting out for a solid ride. As soon as I saw that video of the wind in Gippsland, I knew what you were in for. I've got family all around that area (Sale/Stratty/Briag and Warragul further west). It can get very windy around there, and very hot and dry in summer. Amazing effort all round, especially the guy running forced SS on the Salsa.

I'd love to do the Barry Way after reading your report and seeing your pics. I'd probably turn around at Stratford and head back over to Albury via the Dargo High Plains Road, another road I've done in the car many times, but always wanted to attempt by bike.

FatGuts

Likes Dirt
Thanks Elbo. Yeah the Barry way was a special bit. Beutiful part of the countryside and well worth a visit. Make sure you have a triple though............

Elbo

Thanks Elbo. Yeah the Barry way was a special bit. Beutiful part of the countryside and well worth a visit. Make sure you have a triple though............
I rode a single ring through Kosciusko (Adaminaby to Tumbarumba) with 38x36 my lowest gear… never again. It was the wrong choice for touring.

FatGuts

Likes Dirt
I rode a single ring through Kosciusko (Adaminaby to Tumbarumba) with 38x36 my lowest gear… never again. It was the wrong choice for touring.
Yep, what is trendy isnt necessarily practical or good for the application.

microRobbie

Likes Bikes
I purchased a super light weight bivy sack today that didn't break the bank after reading some good reviews from people using them during winter in the northern hemisphere. Hoping to get out next weekend and test it out in some rain.

http://www.mountaindesigns.com/store/products/160537/sol-escape-bivvy
Ive got one of those bags and have never used it in the rain but wouldn't recommend deliberatly using it in rain on its own. It doesn't matter how waterproof it is as you need to open it to the elements to get in and out. It doesnt have a head awning so you will get wet. A lightweight fly or even a polycryo tarp will make life more bearable. They are good bivys but for me of it looks like rain i take a fly at least

Elbo

Yep, what is trendy isnt necessarily practical or good for the application.
Wise words. A triple would've been a lot better through some of those hills south of Canberra.

Ive got one of those bags and have never used it in the rain but wouldn't recommend deliberatly using it in rain on its own. It doesn't matter how waterproof it is as you need to open it to the elements to get in and out. It doesnt have a head awning so you will get wet. A lightweight fly or even a polycryo tarp will make life more bearable. They are good bivys but for me of it looks like rain i take a fly at least
A mate of mine has the same bivvy and used it on a recent overnighter we did up the Central Coast. It worked well and he didn't end up with leeches all over him like we thought would happen. In combo with a tarp it would work pretty well. The only thing is that animals tend to try and find warm spots, so be prepared to attract wildlife seeking shelter :biggrin1:

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
microRobbie and Elbo..... thanks for the heads up. I was going to take a painters plastic drop sheet as a ultra-lightweight tarp. A friend uses these to help waterproof his hammock sleeping system and whilst not exactly durable...they do the job.

FatGuts

Likes Dirt
I purchased a super light weight bivy sack today that didn't break the bank after reading some good reviews from people using them during winter in the northern hemisphere. Hoping to get out next weekend and test it out in some rain.

http://www.mountaindesigns.com/store/products/160537/sol-escape-bivvy
How tall are you Hamsta? I am 6'3" and cant fit inside one completley. I also found it a bit cold when camping outside on a cool autumn night.

I am pretty particular with keeping warm while sleeping though amd I am willing to carry a little more weight to do so.

FatGuts

Likes Dirt
Wise words. A triple would've been a lot better through some of those hills south of Canberra
I said to you on your post on Bikebackign Australia on FB that I live in the far south of Canberra and that is my playground. The only flat bit is from the last suburb of Banks to Tharwa.........the rest os OMFG until Adaminaby!

Awesome country though and I love living here. Its a pity old mate steered you away from Old Boboyan road though, far better ride with far less pain.

Elbo

I said to you on your post on Bikebackign Australia on FB that I live in the far south of Canberra and that is my playground. The only flat bit is from the last suburb of Banks to Tharwa.........the rest os OMFG until Adaminaby!

Awesome country though and I love living here. Its a pity old mate steered you away from Old Boboyan road though, far better ride with far less pain.
Ah, that was you! Will definitely stop next time or let you know when I'm in Canberra to catch up for a ride or coffee/beer.

Yeah, that sucked. I think he was genuinely trying to help, but was thinking about impassability from the perspective of the car he was driving. I'm keen to go back and ride the other way to check out some other huts and creek crossings. Not keen to do that first big hill after Tharwa again though.

By the way, how was riding on the Monaro Highway on your trip? We were told to avoid it because of a lack of shoulder and crazy drivers.

Elbo

microRobbie and Elbo..... thanks for the heads up. I was going to take a painters plastic drop sheet as a ultra-lightweight tarp. A friend uses these to help waterproof his hammock sleeping system and whilst not exactly durable...they do the job.
That's a good idea. Depending on the lengths you want to go to I'd hazard a guess you could increase the durability of a sheet like that by adding eyelets to the corners if you want to set it up as an overhead shelter.

FatGuts

Likes Dirt
Ah, that was you! Will definitely stop next time or let you know when I'm in Canberra to catch up for a ride or coffee/beer.

Yeah, that sucked. I think he was genuinely trying to help, but was thinking about impassability from the perspective of the car he was driving. I'm keen to go back and ride the other way to check out some other huts and creek crossings. Not keen to do that first big hill after Tharwa again though.

By the way, how was riding on the Monaro Highway on your trip? We were told to avoid it because of a lack of shoulder and crazy drivers.

Twas me! :)

You cant get around Fitzs Hill (the first biggie on the tar after Apollo road and before the Ororral Valley turn off) unless you do the Naas Valley FT from Caloola farm up to Mt Clear. Awesome ride but probably not much easier as it has other things that make it hard being a FT. And like I said the Old Boboyan Road lets you miss that last big climb on the tar up to the lookout.

Monaro Highway is fine if you pick your time. I would not do it in certain directions in the ski season (depending on traffic flow) and on the major traffic days on public and school holidays.

I have ridden to Michelago a couple of times and all the way to Cooma as you know. I also know a bloke who has done it a number of times. It has a pretty good shoulder for the most and most drivers are courteous and have never had any real problems in the trips I have done. I get more issues with the bogans in the 2km from my local shops to home.

Naas Valley FT is well worth the ride if you ever get the chance. I am thinking of doing a Horse Gully Hut overnighter from my place one day, 47km each way will be a fun little overnighter. Some trips are not about doing 200km per day.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
That's not a bad ride. We've done that in the opposite direction with a night spent on Yaouk Peak. But, if you want to get to Yaouk it is much nicer to ride via Orroral --> Cotter Hut --> Yaouk.

Old Boboyan Rd is also great, but take care if there's been a lot of rain (like now). It will be water logged and boggy at the intersection with Sams Creek Firetrail and generally along the Naas River valley.