The Single Speed Thread

disappearin

Likes Dirt
Questions.

1) I'm running 32 / 20. If I change to 35/17 (for flat stuff), will I need to adjust my EBB at all? Plus 3t on the front, minus 3 on the back. The reason I ask is because...
2) My Niner EBB needs to have the cranks loosened in order to rotate the EBB. Is this normal? Any Niner owners out there? My XT cranks aren't overtightened.
3) Any good steel chainrings recommended besides Surly? The extra wide profile of the Surly teeth crunches on a 3/32 chain apparently.

BTW, my E13 chainrings are wearing out fast! I'll try Blackspire next time. (or a steel one recommended by someone else)

Thanks guys!
Nice bike.
I've never owned a niner with ebb but I've had 3 frames, all with different setup ebb and I've never needed to loosen cranks to adjust them. Unless its a niner thing might be something else causing it?
As for chainrings I'm keen to try one of these: http://www.homebrewedcomponents.com/store.php/products/titanium-104bcd-4-bolt-chainrings
Not cheap but can't beat ti for strength/weight.

chrischris

Likes Dirt
As for chainrings I'm keen to try one of these: http://www.homebrewedcomponents.com/store.php/products/titanium-104bcd-4-bolt-chainrings
Not cheap but can't beat ti for strength/weight.
Through some extra research, I've found that I'm not alone with my Shimano XT cranks / EBB issue. Even though the XT cranks aren't really very tight at all, they are an extra clasping force. This may be why I've never had an issue with my EBB slipping or creaking. (Biocentric I, not II)

As for HBC, I tried to order a Ti one, but their checkout system crapped out. Website not working. I've sent him a message.

struggles

Likes Dirt
Hi SSers,

I rode Nowra singletrack Mind on the weekend (SS) can anyone else let me know what gearing they were riding? - just curious.

Cheers

Scott
I ride 33-18 on my 29er for all SCUM tracks.

I didn't ride the race but I did do the sweep lap on a Fat Bike :)

Last edited:

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Isn't home brewed components the mob with the whole MTBR thread dedicated to pissed off customers who never got a chainring after paying a year earlier ? Nice kit from the look of it but who wants hassles with the order like waiting over a year !

cooken

Likes Dirt
Through some extra research, I've found that I'm not alone with my Shimano XT cranks / EBB issue. Even though the XT cranks aren't really very tight at all, they are an extra clasping force. This may be why I've never had an issue with my EBB slipping or creaking. (Biocentric I, not II)

As for HBC, I tried to order a Ti one, but their checkout system crapped out. Website not working. I've sent him a message.
Interesting. I use XT cranks (M770) on my sir 9 and I don't need to loosen them to adjust the EBB. I do need to use a bit of leverage to move it though.

I've been running a niner chainring and cog for years and must have done a few thousand kms and they're still going strong.

chrischris

Likes Dirt
Niner EBB

Well, I pulled apart the entire cranks / EBB today & cleaned it all out. Then, I re-greased the inside lip of EBB with Oatey's Pipe Joint Compound. (as Niner recommend)

The same compound was used previously, but it just needed a good clean & re-coat. Now - I can rotate the EBB without loosening the crank. It's requires a little muscle, but it moves. It was impossible yesterday.

In another online forum, Niner themselves mentioned that a Niner EBB may require cleaning up to 3-4 times per year with heavy use & if run in dirty conditions.

davidxw

Likes Bikes
Hi Chris,

If I knew you could afford Ti chainrings I would have tried to get more out of you for the frame!

For what it's worth I don't remember having to loosen the cranks when I adjusted the BB, but maybe as you've suggested they've gotten stiffer over time and the clean out has fixed them.

David

chrischris

Likes Dirt
Hi Chris,

If I knew you could afford Ti chainrings I would have tried to get more out of you for the frame!

For what it's worth I don't remember having to loosen the cranks when I adjusted the BB, but maybe as you've suggested they've gotten stiffer over time and the clean out has fixed them.

David
Ha! It's taken me a long time to build the bike that I wanted David. I'm just looking to finish it off with a few things that won't die in 300kms. (like my current E13 chainring) I'm loving the bike! My only regret now is not saving up a few more $$$ and getting the new frame. No biggie.

Yep - I've adjusted the EBB twice since cleaning it out, and it rotates fine. Also, the Niner Encyclopaedia suggests using an allen key on the drive side in the hole, and gently rotating the cranks to help with leverage. This makes it much easier to tighten the chainline than trying to twist the EBB by hand. (for those reading, the allen key on the drive side doesn't actually undo any bolt, it's only for leverage with the rotating crank.)

Haylex

Likes Dirt
Subscribing. Lots of good info here guys thanks.

Will be turning an old giant frame I have with a worn drivetrain into a SS as something to cruise to work on, looking forward to it.

Just going to start with 32/16 and go from there. Surprisingly not too heavy for an entry level older frame @ 1.6kg (Iguana).

Edit - finished putting the bike together:

Last edited:

chrischris

Likes Dirt
One9 RDO. Someone help me out... what are the major differences between an Air9 Carbon, and One9 RDO.

Both carbon.
Both hardtails.
Both have similar (same?) geometry.
Both have EBB.

One9 can run a 1x system.

Have I missed something major? It's a beautiful looking bike, and the 12mm rear axel is nice, but I can't see a lot of difference.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
One9 RDO. Someone help me out... what are the major differences between an Air9 Carbon, and One9 RDO.

Both carbon.
Both hardtails.
Both have similar (same?) geometry.
Both have EBB.

One9 can run a 1x system.

Have I missed something major? It's a beautiful looking bike, and the 12mm rear axel is nice, but I can't see a lot of difference.
I have a feeling that the Air9 Carbon will be absent..... Leaving Air9RDO as the geared Race HT and the One9RDO as the SS or 1x11 race hardtail....

Really.... all they needed to do was make the Air9RDO EBB compatible.....

Mad Hatter

Likes Dirt
I have a feeling that the Air9 Carbon will be absent..... Leaving Air9RDO as the geared Race HT and the One9RDO as the SS or 1x11 race hardtail....

Really.... all they needed to do was make the Air9RDO EBB compatible.....
Dito on the adding an EBB, but to the Air9 carbon and having the dedicated One9RDO for those that take their SSing way too seriously (which I would if i could just pick the right numbers on Saturday)

Have you seen the US$ frame pricing?
Air9 Carbon $1399
Air9 RDO $2099
One9RDO $2149

With a new distributor here in Australia it will be interesting to see what pricing they end being, and how many actually head this way.
Maybe Dirtworks will be having a clearance sale on all their Niner stock.
Could do with some cogalicious goodness.

Cheers.
MH

chrischris

Likes Dirt
With a new distributor here in Australia it will be interesting to see what pricing they end being, and how many actually head this way.
Maybe Dirtworks will be having a clearance sale on all their Niner stock.
Could do with some cogalicious goodness.

Cheers.
MH
I rang Dirtworks to see if I could get some Niner parts. (EBB II, etc...) and I got a definite no. As soon as I said 'Niner', they said no. Any news on who the new distributer will be?