The Single Speed Thread

hairyone

Likes Bikes
Just finished building this up:

2011 Yeti Big Top frame
2011 Fox RLC forks
DT Swiss 340 hubs / wheels (15mm front / QR rear)
Chris King headset
XX1 (34T) crankset
16T Surly cog
Shimano XT brakes
Thomson 4X stem
ODI Lock-On grips
Easton Haven carbon bars
Specialized seatpost
Specialized Henge saddle
Thomson seatpost clamp
Shimano XT pedals
Shimano 160mm discs
SRAM bottom bracket
SRAM 10 speed chain
Specialized Ground Control 2.3" tyres front & rear (tubeless)

weighs in at 11.2kgs. one ride on it so far, and love it! replaced a 2011 Specialized Rockhopper single speed I built as a work commuter.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Lovely bike mate. I have the same but 1 X 10. I would struggle to push your 34 X 16. The best I could do was 33 X 20....

uglybob

Likes Bikes
Lovely bike mate. I have the same but 1 X 10. I would struggle to push your 34 X 16. The best I could do was 33 X 20....
actually that was a typo - its a 32T chainring not a 34T!

a little tough on some of the uphills at times, but i think i'd be spinning too much on the flats with anything else. haven't tried any other combo, but to be honest its pretty well spot on for me!

badtreefrog

Likes Bikes
Dingle Speed?

Hey guys, I am in the process of planning a dingle speed for use as both a commuter and an off road SS whip. I have ridden SS before for commuting but never off road. Main trails would be yarra bend, lysterfield, you yangs and buller.

I thought about using 2 chains (or 2 master links and an extra bit) and swapping over when I went offroad but to make things simple (and more in line with the SS ethos) I am going to have a crack with matching teeth.

Sooo. The ratio I am looking at is (using my either of my existing 36/40t big rings).

Commuting: 36/16
MTB: 32/20

The problem with using the 40t/32t combo is that to get a decent commuting ratio ends up with a super-spinney off-road (nice for hills though) and to get an decent MTB setup means some serious mashing to get up the hills on the road.

Any thoughts and has anyone here done one?

Also, I would be interested in what the SS purists thought about the dingle?

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have a dingle speed cross bike using 35:14/16. I find that combination of gears is great.. Though my overall wheel diameter will be smaller than yours (assuming your 29"). I use a 15t cog when I'm racing cross. And have a 36t ring to mix it up a bit too.

I think 32:20 is too small. Perhaps 35:16, 32:19? No matter what it's always a bit of a compromise.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

badtreefrog

Likes Bikes
Run a double chainring crank with two different cogs spaced out on a normal rear axle to ensure the correct chainline?
Yep, that is what I plan on doing, just loosen the back wheel slightly when you get to the trails, flip the chain across to the lower gearing and tension back up. Downside is that you have to use the same chain you have to go up on the back cog the same amount of teeth as you go down at the front (4t for 36/32 combo, 8t for 40/32 combo) limiting your options for ratios. Using a chain with a removable section gives more freedom in cog sizes, but a little more stuffing around IMO.

As g-fish said, it is always going to be a bit of a compromise, but worth it for the flexibility methinks.

badtreefrog

Likes Bikes
Yeah, I like the concept in theory : ). Will see how it goes in practice and report back.

g-fish - how do you manage chainline with the single ring up front?

mr626

Likes Bikes
As much as I like my Sanderson frame, I'm starting to wish for horizontal dropouts. Very tempted to order an On-One Inbred (looks like I can get one for about $250 delivered direct from On-One). All of my current running gear would fit on The Inbred, and I could probably sell the Sanderson on here!

Any other local options for a steel 26er frame with horizontal dropouts worth considering?

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Yep, that is what I plan on doing, just loosen the back wheel slightly when you get to the trails, flip the chain across to the lower gearing and tension back up. Downside is that you have to use the same chain you have to go up on the back cog the same amount of teeth as you go down at the front (4t for 36/32 combo, 8t for 40/32 combo) limiting your options for ratios. Using a chain with a removable section gives more freedom in cog sizes, but a little more stuffing around IMO.

As g-fish said, it is always going to be a bit of a compromise, but worth it for the flexibility methinks.
I have done this with great results for years. Three teeth apart is great, four and one set up will start to be a bit loose and 6 teeth apart and you need to run the rear 5 teeth apart - real hit an miss. 32/19 is great off road so potentially 32/36 and 19/16. You will still spin out on the road but no where near as much as running an off road gearing.

I highly recommend this set up

Edit: After input from others the gear ratio you will need is subject to the size of your member and perhaps a 33/18 and 35/15 is more applicable but you get the idea

Last edited:

softek

Likes Dirt
32/19, are you for real, the guy be out of breath just spinning almost idle, 34/19 is more the way to go champ, time to harden up JD and push 2 more teeth

5.jpg4.jpg

Last edited:

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah, I like the concept in theory : ). Will see how it goes in practice and report back.

g-fish - how do you manage chainline with the single ring up front?
It's not perfect in either gear, but it's so close I'm not really fussed. I'm using a Yess ETR-B as a chain tensioner so I can't have to front chainrings without stuffing around and with this set up I can change the gearing in under 5 seconds (spring loaded tensioner).

disappearin

Likes Dirt
must be very hilly where he lives, I never been to mt stormolo, I dream one day I will be riding my SS there, with the GODS
I've ridden two 24hr solos on my SS at stromlo now. Used a 32/19 at the first and purchased a 20t sprocket specifically for the second. It's definatly hilly. Bellchambers was running a 33/19 last time I talked gear ratios with him. The speed he was moving you wouldn't of thought it... 6th overall at wembo and 2 laps ahead of the next SS.

softek

Likes Dirt
I've ridden two 24hr solos on my SS at stromlo now. Used a 32/19 at the first and purchased a 20t sprocket specifically for the second. It's definatly hilly. Bellchambers was running a 33/19 last time I talked gear ratios with him. The speed he was moving you wouldn't of thought it... 6th overall at wembo and 2 laps ahead of the next SS.
that would make sense, I ride 34/19, but if had to ride for more then 12 hours, 33/19 certainly be better, so then, do we all agree 34/19 is the way to go, since we dont all ride 24hours at stormolo

Big JD

Wheel size expert
that would make sense, I ride 34/19, but if had to ride for more then 12 hours, 33/19 certainly be better, so then, do we all agree 34/19 is the way to go, since we dont all ride 24hours at stormolo
STUFF YOU sOFTY - IM GOIN 33/18

I am comfortable with my gear ratio and you can bite me