The Single Speed Thread

discofrank

Likes Dirt
And after some issues it is done!

taken 1 2014 giant talon 2, removed the shifters, derailleurs, front 2 big rings
added 1 tensioner, 1 x 16t rear cog and a 24t front and BAM!

things i learnt ( new to doing any mech work on a bike )
dont tighten up the cranks on the new BB... they dont turn!
you really need to tighten up the hub to stop it wobbling around! ( i added some more grease to the bearings, lost a ball bearing a few times! )
a rear derailleur is a shit tensioner if you cant add a barrel adjuster to it , as i could never get the chainline right with it

impressions so far SILENT!!!!! so so silent, i really need a new front fork ( how the hell i rode this thing on the kala trails at any speed i have no idea!
need to get a setback seat post as i feel to far forward on the bike ( i doubt a shorter stem will help )
and i like it! going to be a challenge for me, but looking forward to it

Benny Storer

Likes Bikes
Is that white brother forks you are running? What do you think of them over suspension?
White Brother Rock Solids, ah think they're the 425s.. Love the forks. Rigid? I like it BUT I went to Derby for a weekend and bombed Atlas on the second day with 120km already in my wrists.. ....and next thing you know I bought a set of old 80mm Fox Terralogics for the rockiest of long days.

sunmonkee

Likes Bikes
Ss bike options

Hi all,

Im looking to purchase a single speed, i dont want to spend more than 1,000. So far i am lookingat akona unit, charge cooker or redline monocoq. Are there any other bikes arround that price?

poita

Likes Dirt
Hi all,

Im looking to purchase a single speed, i dont want to spend more than 1,000. So far i am lookingat akona unit, charge cooker or redline monocoq. Are there any other bikes arround that price?
The new units are pretty nice, all are going to be rigid at that price. Definitely a good platform to start out. Nothing else that I know of complete in that price bracket, or that easy to get a hold of. I think the giant xtc this year is SS compatible, but above your price.

Peter650

Likes Dirt
Hi all,

26 inch bmx bikes are in your price range. All you have to do to them. Is change the gearing, & throw the brakes in the bin ( they don't work anyway) & you are good to go.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
???? Confused. You can get a GT for $650 nothing really to brake on it & it's going to ride rings around a single speed MTB.
OP has posted in the XC forum looking for a single speed MTB.

I can't imagine that a BMX is going to ride rings around any single speed mtb for XC purposes.....

Just because you can get one for $650 doesn't mean it's anything near what the OP wants....

goobags

Likes Dirt
Hi all,

Second hand would be the best bet or find a hardtail and put an external tensioner on it. Where are you located and what size?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peter650

Likes Dirt
Due to the fact that im doing a lot more xc riding these days (about 200ks a week). I have decided to regear my bike. I'm thinking around 48 inches should be ok. Any opinions on the above gearing would be greatly appreciated.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
So i quit SS a couple of years ago after knee surgery, and was doing great with gears and not missing having to stomp on the pedals to get up a hill at all. i broke my DS frame though and bought a cheap hardtail frame to replace it with and then just got wondering about SS again since i was back on a hardtail. dug out the old 20t cog, found a cheap tensioner and wallah, back on SS again!

DSC_1059.JPG

what the hell was i thinking, this is HARD :der:
got a great time up the comm games climb at lysterfield, but pretty sure i was this close -><- to breathing my lungs out of my chest.
committing to it now, just going to have to pray for another knee injury to get me back off it again