The Single Speed Thread

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
BFe appears to have way too much BB drop: 60mm with 120mm fork.

No sliding dropout either. I don't want a tensioner - if I did there's a few frames like the Fluid HT to choose from, inc the Ragley Marley and Piglet.
It definitely has to be a 27.5?

RichJS

Likes Dirt
It definitely has to be a 27.5?
Yeah, problem is that I got some quite nice 27.5" boost wheels, 120mm forks and other bits to put on a suitable frame.

That Soma Riff looks pretty good but isn't boost axle.

Honzos ST is cool, but again too much BB drop for me - it's a 29 with the vendor saying you can put 27.5+ in it, but the BB is already quite low (62mm drop) for a 29" wheel. At least the SC Chameleon has separate 27.5" dropouts available that lower the back wheel / lessen the BB drop.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
Yeah, problem is that I got some quite nice 27.5" boost wheels, 120mm forks and other bits to put on a suitable frame.

That Soma Riff looks pretty good but isn't boost axle.
try & find a giant xtc old version with adjustable dropouts, pity about the soma - wonder if someone would machine dropouts for you..the soma has removable dropouts - ive been looking for a soma for a while

HamboCairns

Stanton Slackline Gen 3?

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Expensive, but how about the Spot Rocker? Comes in 27.5+ or 29" SS builds, or frame only:

List a 50mm BB drop, but doesn't specify what fork it is with as far as I can see - I'm assuming a 120mm though given that's what they spec the full builds with...

HamboCairns

Expensive, but how about the Spot Rocker? Comes in 27.5+ or 29" SS builds, or frame only:

List a 50mm BB drop, but doesn't specify what fork it is with as far as I can see - I'm assuming a 120mm though given that's what they spec the full builds with...
I was going to mention that one but I thought it was optimised for 29/27.5+?

RichJS

Likes Dirt
try & find a giant xtc old version with adjustable dropouts
That's what I've got, a 2019 XTC. It's probably OK with 29" wheels (60mm bb drop) but it's too low with my 27.5 ..

At first look the Rocker looks pretty cool. Maybe even AUD2700 worth of cool.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1430/1526/files/Rocker_C_Geometry_Graphic.PNG shows 530mm A2C, which is sounds like a 120mm 29er fork. Both 29 and 27.5+ builds show a Fox 34SC 29" fork.

My 27.5" fork has 513mm A2C. Might be starting to take it a bit low..

I also saw this Jamis: https://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/dragonflypro.html - but only 400mm reach on a large sounds a bit 2003.

Last edited:

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Or Marino. I ended up on a similar hunt, couldn’t find the geometry I wanted in a frame with an inbuilt chain tensioner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's why I went Waltly in the end. I think OP will struggle a bit to get modern geo (reach etc) but with no BB drop.

Daniel Hale

Soma b side 27.5 frame w 142 SS dropouts, also have qr & 142 std dropouts
sram dub cranks 32t
niner 29t sprocket
deore brakes
high roller II F 2.35, aggressor 2.3 rear
x-fusion 10=10mm slant
carbon bars w carbon 90mm stem - slammed for pro aero-ness...might do an 80mm
e13 trs+ F, novatec on wtb R
fsa post w fizik saddle
feels pretty light for a steel frame

Just picked this up from courier depot, grabbed off a former/current burner Al pinkard

quick assembly after lowering xfusion by 30mm, now @110mm trav

Last edited:

RichJS

Likes Dirt
feels pretty light for a steel frame
Complete build High 10s?

Out of curiosity, what's the BB height measure to? IE with bike straight upright, measuring from ground to centre of crankbolt.

Continuing my quest; it seems a Salsa Rustler frame might fit the bill, fork is supposed to be 130-150mm but numbers seem almost-OK for 120mm. Biggest problem is the price at USD$3k for frame + shock. The Surly Lowside is almost there but seattube is very slack, and would have to go an XL (to get modern reach) which means a 120mm headtube - which is too long for my fork.

I like my Step Cast Fox 34 27.5 but it's proving a liability to find frames to suit.

Daniel Hale

Complete build High 10s?

Out of curiosity, what's the BB height measure to? IE with bike straight upright, measuring from ground to centre of crankbolt.

Continuing my quest; it seems a Salsa Rustler frame might fit the bill, fork is supposed to be 130-150mm but numbers seem almost-OK for 120mm. Biggest problem is the price at USD$3k for frame + shock. The Surly Lowside is almost there but seattube is very slack, and would have to go an XL (to get modern reach) which means a 120mm headtube - which is too long for my fork.

I like my Step Cast Fox 34 27.5 but it's proving a liability to find frames to suit.
Salsa is overpriced imo, i should know i have a duallie of theirs-sure it’s a good bike but their frame only prices can be high, surly is the same -i don’t see the value, and the import prices seem quite high to what you can get one for in the US, i’ll measure bb height later for you, ive had no problems w my 165mm cranks so far