The Single Speed Thread

RichJS

Likes Dirt
The only bike I regret getting rid of was my on-one inbred. SS, steel 26 xc frame. So much fun.
I've been happy enough on a slot dropout Inbred since my NRS-SS cracked (again) like 3 years ago. Marzocchi AM3 120mm forks, 33:16 .. occaisonally put an 11-42 on it.

height from ground up approx 325mm
That sounds like a good height. Inbred is like (edit: measured) 330mm BB height and never hits a thing. My XTC was meant to be an upgrade on the Inbred but is like 295mm BB height which means I keep smashing pedals into rocks. 32:17 gearing with 27.5x2.6 (close to 32:16 @ 26")

Thinking about the SC Chameleon, looks like it comes specced with 29" 130mm fork for 27.5+ wheels so by the time it's got a 120mm 27.5" fork it's back to 300mm BB height.

Waltly custom still looking good ... edit: Found this on the Waltly Alibaba page. From the names etched on the top/downtube it appears to be owned by a (sometime) Canberran and they have a great bike that, while not quite what I'm aiming for, is giving me heaps of ideas for a sliding dropout build:

Last edited:

boyracer

Likes Dirt
Theres a bunch of sram brifters online at the moment for ~200 bills F & R with flat mount callipers. I'm fitting some to my SS commuter rig.

boyracer

Likes Dirt
My bad. Seller was Kanosports_world in US of A. Can't see 'em today though. Takeoffs/OEM, seem to have fluctuating stock.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Happy with the hubs mate? Build looks great, nice one.
It's a completely different ride now. I came off a DT 350 with 36 tooth and thought that was pretty good but this is a significant change. Found today that some of the rocky tech climbs were much better because there was no input lag so I didn't get hung up or loose momentum which kills when climbing on SS. Have to true the wheel a bit better though.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
It's a completely different ride now. I came off a DT 350 with 36 tooth and thought that was pretty good but this is a significant change. Found today that some of the rocky tech climbs were much better because there was no input lag so I didn't get hung up or loose momentum which kills when climbing on SS. Have to true the wheel a bit better though.
Any thoughts on the difference (if any) on engagement feel, rather than speed?

ausdb

Being who he is
For you singlespeeders who still are singlespeeders... what a cracking bike and spec. Comes with niner rigid forks and a shit load of other stuff...

Purple/lilac is not my colour but this is awesome.

Would make a beautiful drop bar gravel bike too.

View attachment 378238
For the discerning dentists out there...
All jokes aside a few mates have Baum roadies and they really are functional pieces of art. And to make it worse they're all way taller than I am so I don't even get a chance to take them for a spin :(

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
For the discerning dentists out there...
All joked aside a few mates have Baum roadies and they really are functional pieces of art.
A great buy for anyone thinking about an expensive Curve Chi bike, great spec and what I rate as absolutely boutique and very special.
Not sure how Baum treat a 2nd buyer but I'm sure you would be looked after.
Nearly makes me want to revive my SS self.
It's awesome.
No doubt a hanger could be added and make a fckn awesome drop bar gravel bike.