The Single Speed Thread

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Cheers for that. Something like the rigid is what I'm looking at, can easily hit the bikepath pretty easily and convert to HT later on.
I reckon budget would be 2k-ish but likely more when I get 'researching'
2k is probably a good number if you want to build something too. One of the older XTC frames with the sliding dropouts and a cheap SID (mine cost $300) would be a good basis and shouldn’t be too hard to find on FB etc

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Looked at the Unit, comes in Pink this year and I'd want to replace the forks anyway for er, aesthetic purposes
I was in the same position, waiting for the new Unit to be released. What a horrible colour.
Guy trying to sell me one made the comment, "If you're going to ride a rigid, 29er, singlespeed, a colour like this goes with the look."
I said, "Some people just want a simple, reliable bike, they're not trying to make a statement"
I did think about getting it and spraying it black, but ended up just finding a rigid fork for my old hardtail and setting that up with 1x9 box groupset.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
I sold my Niner One9, Niner rigid fork, lightbicycle carbon rims, Hope hubs ect for $1700 about 4-5 yrs ago.
It's a big regret moving that bike on.
Yeah I paid $1300 from memory for my Niner without wheels but with the otherwise XTR/Enve build kit (dude had Enve wheels also which doubled the asking price haha). Chuck on a set of alloy wheels and hey presto.

cammas

Seamstress
That would be great, in WA though!
Bugger I will keep my out as I always find bargains but they are in WA all the time, are bikes cheaper there or what!
From personal experience Salsa El Mariachi are a great bike, on my second one now and wont make the stupid mistake of selling this one, the other was my Superfly which I stupidly sold to a friend who did not give me first option when he went to sell it :(, Another is the Specialized Crave my friend has 20,000k's on his without issue.

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
Bugger I will keep my out as I always find bargains but they are in WA all the time, are bikes cheaper there or what!
From personal experience Salsa El Mariachi are a great bike, on my second one now and wont make the stupid mistake of selling this one, the other was my Superfly which I stupidly sold to a friend who did not give me first option when he went to sell it :(, Another is the Specialized Crave my friend has 20,000k's on his without issue.

View attachment 381262
View attachment 381264
Too many cashed-up bogans getting into a hobbies then flogging stuff off once they get bored of it more like!

They both look awesome, I really like that Superfly!

cammas

Seamstress
Too many cashed-up bogans getting into a hobbies then flogging stuff off once they get bored of it more like!

They both look awesome, I really like that Superfly!
So did I and was a heat of the moment sale then I was pretty pissed when I seen on it Facebook for sale without even a heads up
They are a well sorted out frame and great geometry, I think had it down to around the 9-9.5kg mark, so was nice and light for the ups and handled well for the downs. If you are able to find one they are well worth the money with a carbon bar and syntace hi-flex post they are surprisingly comfortable even through the rocks, chunk etc.

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
I've just spent a couple of hours down the google well and now have a boner for the Surly Lowside.
This could even satisfy my want for a pump track bike.
Fuck. Now to convince the wife that I need a bike path bike for the kids and to tell her it doesn't cost much...

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
This could even satisfy my want for a pump track bike.
Fuck. Now to convince the wife that I need a bike path bike for the kids and to tell her it doesn't cost much...
Get a proper dj bike.
Don’t do the 26” big bmx thing, they’re gross and ride bad.

Mica

Likes Dirt
I've just spent a couple of hours down the google well and now have a boner for the Surly Lowside.
Do it! I've never regretted buying a surly, only selling them.

Sold an old 1x1 years ago but managed to pick up a lowside minus brakes and drivetrain for $400!! (regional location and pickup only eBay auction, was well worth the drive).

Bike is way too much fun and very capable! Just have to wrestle it off my daughter who has sadly discovered she can ride it with the seat down.