The Single Speed Thread

dougmcdoug

Likes Dirt
My On-One :D

So I guess I should post the newest steed.

Frame: On-One with Horz dropouts
Fork: 03 Rock Shox SID (rebuit 07 rebound)
Headset: Cane Creek S3
Stem: Race Face Evolve XC
Bar: FSA Carbon riser
Seat post: Pyrotech Carbon
Seat: BBB - white.
Levers: Avid FR5
Front Brake: Avid BB7
Rear Brake: Shimano XT V-Brake
Front Hub: PAUL Fhub Disc
Rear Hub: PAUL WORD
Rims: DT Swiss XR 4.1
Cranks: Truvativ Blaze (reduced to on ring 32t)
Chain: SRAM
Rear Cog: between 16t - 18t
Pedals: Crank Brothers Egg Beaters SL

I'm loving this bike right now it rides so smooth, the best bit of advice I would give to anyone single speeding was also given to me, get riser bars with a slightly shorter stem, I now have a 90mm stem with the riser bars and it totally changed how the bike rides. PAUL hubs rock, they run sooooo smooth so I can over take geared bikes going down hills (sometimes)

Now I just need to get stronger to warrent such a sweet bike. :rolleyes:

pics

the new bars

dunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
.... the best bit of advice I would give to anyone single speeding was also given to me, get riser bars with a slightly shorter stem, I now have a 90mm stem with the riser bars and it totally changed how the bike rides.
The On-One was designed with a long top tube for using a 80-90mm stem for proper handling. By going back to a 90mm you've made it "normal" again. That said great bike:D I loved my old On-One, I wonder what she's doing now.....

n plus one

Likes Bikes and Dirt
None really :p

Infact the pic where the ring has gone into the spokes is off a trials bike, which was asking for it really. I guess it would be okay on a commuter etc, but I'm too chicken to try it :D

-Garth

Actually I thought your point was pretty clear, I just forgot to put :D at the end of my sentence:D

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
In the beginning there was Surly and it was very, very good, then came Ventana and it was betterer.
Surly has gone through 2 more owners so far since I had it.
I also have one of the Zion 29ers (geared). It is a great ride for the $.
Handles almost as well as my waaaaaaaay more $ Ventana.

Of course there is also my Fixie but that is for a different thread.

Attachments

Just finished building up my first single speed since my BMX I had as a young 'un...

It's a pretty cheap project built mostly from parts I had lying aroung here as well as some parts from Triples, the OP (thanks :D)

I've built it up with slicks to see how I go commuting on it, Dunno if I'm fit enough for SS commute yet though :eek:

Last edited:

RCOH

Eats Squid
Single speed combined mtn/road ride, tomorrow:

deatails:

1pm, Paddington Gates, Centennial Park (sydney)
Ride from there to Watsons Bay & back to the city utilising small pockets of off road along the way. Lunch & a couple of beers along the way.
Expected duration about 2-3 hours.

Christo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just got my third SS to add to my stable today. A GT peace 9er.. Very keen to see if the 29 hype lives up to it's name... It'll get a good you-yangs night thrash next week..

Great value, the GF still thinks I'm mad but seeing as it cost a quarter of my last bike she'll get over it...

triples

Likes Dirt
So I guess I should post the newest steed.

Frame: On-One with Horz dropouts
Fork: 03 Rock Shox SID (rebuit 07 rebound)
Headset: Cane Creek S3
Stem: Race Face Evolve XC
Bar: FSA Carbon riser
Seat post: Pyrotech Carbon
Seat: BBB - white.
Levers: Avid FR5
Front Brake: Avid BB7
Rear Brake: Shimano XT V-Brake
Front Hub: PAUL Fhub Disc
Rear Hub: PAUL WORD
Rims: DT Swiss XR 4.1
Cranks: Truvativ Blaze (reduced to on ring 32t)
Chain: SRAM
Rear Cog: between 16t - 18t
Pedals: Crank Brothers Egg Beaters SL

I'm loving this bike right now it rides so smooth, the best bit of advice I would give to anyone single speeding was also given to me, get riser bars with a slightly shorter stem, I now have a 90mm stem with the riser bars and it totally changed how the bike rides. PAUL hubs rock, they run sooooo smooth so I can over take geared bikes going down hills (sometimes)

Now I just need to get stronger to warrent such a sweet bike. :rolleyes:

pics

the new bars
Nice ride mate, threw up a little when I saw the carbon bars:rolleyes:

triples

Likes Dirt
Just finished building up my first single speed since my BMX I had as a young 'un...

It's a pretty cheap project built mostly from parts I had lying aroung here as well as some parts from Triples, the OP (thanks :D)

I've built it up with slicks to see how I go commuting on it, Dunno if I'm fit enough for SS commute yet though :eek:

Hey Steve, how did it turn out. Post up a pic if you have one

cheers

dr.evil

Likes Dirt
I like my Unit.

It used to be a 05 model until the frame broke - it is now a 07 frame with no special additions.unit.jpg

The Unit and I do lots and lots of riding - so much fun

I have a 96 Iguana converted to SS for commuting running 44/16 with DMR tensioner on the heavy duty BMX chain. I used this for the dirt crit races when the Unit was broke - ran 32/16 for that though.

triples

Likes Dirt
How come? Interesting comment. If its because your worried they may break those bars are actually very thin alloy bars wraped with carbon so hopefully a little stronger.
I'm just not a fan of carbon, (carbon splinters are not nice) but each to there own.
:p

Hey Steve, how did it turn out. Post up a pic if you have one

cheers
woops :eek: attempted to put a pic on the other post but i apprently suck at using the internet...

haven't had a chance to take it for a ride yet but im standing by my previous statement that i'm too unfit :D

and I suck at photos but i'll blame the crappy light thanks...

Attachments

dr.evil

Likes Dirt
This is the c.94-96 Iguana. Used for the commute. Nice and light, Running 44:16. It rolls fast and I like the narrow handlebars. I have learnt alot about bike bits fiddling with the iguana.

Attachments