The Single Speed Thread

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Fat SS

Here is my Pugsley that is currently set up as an SS. It is one of the most fun bikes I have owned and the bike I ride the most at the moment.
PUG SS.jpg

UncleFeet

Likes Dirt
On the subject of chains, does any SS specific chain come with a quick link? Sram PC-1 for instance..?

This thread needs it's own full section...

UncleFeet

Likes Dirt
Cheers Dis...

The chain I have on my SS at the moment has a connector link by the look of it, but the pins extend beyond the plate on the outer side and have made pretty patterns on the inside of the bashring......it shall be replaced soon...

mr626

Likes Bikes
Have just ordered a bunch of stuff for my Sanderson:

Blackspire Mono Veloce Single Speed 7075 Series 2013 - 4-Bolt 104mm 32t Black
Ritchey Truegrip Grips 2013 - Pair - Black
Answer Pro Taper 685 XC Trail Flat Bar 2012 - Black - 685mm - 31.8mm - 3 Deg
E Thirteen Single Ring Bolt Set - Black
Cyclo Universal Rivoli Chain Rivet Extractor - Each
Truvativ Hussefelt Stem 1"1/8 - 60mm 0deg 31.8mm Blast Black
KMC Z610 Single Speed HX Chain - Each - 112 Links - Silver

Plus I've got a Crank Brothers seatpost and some DMR flats from on here.

Looking forward to getting the wider bars in particular (current bars are only 600).

The front chainring is something I should have done originally but I cheaped out and have been using a standard ramped middle ring up front. Hasn't dropped any chains but I suspect the bashguard is helping it stay on. The Blackspire is meant to be really good (anyone here using it?) and I prefer to run without a bashguard (only really using one at present because I ordered the wrong chainring bolts originally).

I was going to order another KMC Z82 chain as I've used these before and they seem to work well, but the Z610 gets rave reviews everywhere and was the same price so I thought I'd give it a shot. Hopefully it comes with the same style snap link thingo as the Z82 (does anyone know?).

Oh and + 1 for a separate single speed section. This thread is great, but can be hard to wade through looking for stuff.

HIFI2009

Likes Bikes
Frame w/ Short ETT

Hi. Yes, another what bike should I buy. I am currently in love with my Ramones hardtail which I converted to single speed and never looked back. It is a medium but has quite a short top tube (ETT - 570mm) due to its "All Mountain" design. I have been using it for both commuting and trail but would now like one for each activity. Of course, I could just get another Ramones but I would perhaps like something different. I suspect that there simply won't be a 29er with such a short top tube on a medium but would love to know if there was one. Must have single speed drop outs.

Thanks in advance.

disappearin

Likes Dirt
Looking forward to getting the wider bars in particular (current bars are only 600).

The Blackspire is meant to be really good (anyone here using it?) and I prefer to run without a bashguard (only really using one at present because I ordered the wrong chainring bolts originally).
I started with 600mm bars coming of a geared bike, swapped them to 660mm once i got my SS, recently changed them to 720mm and find them to be perfect.

I've been running a blackspire SS chainring for a while now without a bashring. Quite happy with it. I had the E13 SS chainring previously. It worked well but didn't last long.

mr626

Likes Bikes
I started with 600mm bars coming of a geared bike, swapped them to 660mm once i got my SS, recently changed them to 720mm and find them to be perfect.

I've been running a blackspire SS chainring for a while now without a bashring. Quite happy with it. I had the E13 SS chainring previously. It worked well but didn't last long.
Yeah I considered going some 710mm bars but thought that might have been a bit too much. I'm not the biggest/tallest person around, so hopefully 685mm bars will be a good fit.

Good to hear about the Blackspire too :)

Mad Hatter

Likes Dirt
Have just ordered a bunch of stuff for my Sanderson:

The Blackspire is meant to be really good (anyone here using it?) and I prefer to run without a bashguard (only really using one at present because I ordered the wrong chainring bolts originally).
I`ve been messing around with wider bars lately. Currently fitted an 800mm wide BooBar to my Karate Monkey (it was lying around the LBS workshop waiting for a home).
Huge difference (dhuh) but fantastic on the climbs. Also makes the decents a bit easier.

I`m running a Blackspire Mono Veloce 32t ring up front and never had an issue. I`ll go back for more when this one wears out.

Cheers.
MH

mr626

Likes Bikes
I`ve been messing around with wider bars lately. Currently fitted an 800mm wide BooBar to my Karate Monkey (it was lying around the LBS workshop waiting for a home).
Huge difference (dhuh) but fantastic on the climbs. Also makes the decents a bit easier.

I`m running a Blackspire Mono Veloce 32t ring up front and never had an issue. I`ll go back for more when this one wears out.

Cheers.
MH
800 :shocked: Damn, your single tracks must have a fair bit of clearance! What size stem are you running with that?

Glad to hear the positive feedback about the Blackspire too. Just need to wait for my CRC order to get here so I can install it!

Mad Hatter

Likes Dirt
800 :shocked: Damn, your single tracks must have a fair bit of clearance! What size stem are you running with that?

Glad to hear the positive feedback about the Blackspire too. Just need to wait for my CRC order to get here so I can install it!
I got used to the wide bars fairly quickly. You can certainly see where I`ve been and there are one or two spots where I have to almost stop to fit through, but generally I find them a heap of fun.
Stem is a Thompson 80mm x-lite (again, just lying around needing a home)

Cheers.
MH

mr626

Likes Bikes
Always love when packages come in the mail :) Now just need to find the time to install everything!

Oh, and to answer my own question- the KMC Z610hx does come with a 'magic link' for easy joining (couldn't seem to see this listed anywhere).

Last edited:

charltons

Likes Bikes
Nowra STM -gearing

Hi SSers,

I rode Nowra singletrack Mind on the weekend (SS) can anyone else let me know what gearing they were riding? - just curious.

Cheers

Scott

chrischris

Likes Dirt
Questions.

Questions.

1) I'm running 32 / 20. If I change to 35/17 (for flat stuff), will I need to adjust my EBB at all? Plus 3t on the front, minus 3 on the back. The reason I ask is because...
2) My Niner EBB needs to have the cranks loosened in order to rotate the EBB. Is this normal? Any Niner owners out there? My XT cranks aren't overtightened.
3) Any good steel chainrings recommended besides Surly? The extra wide profile of the Surly teeth crunches on a 3/32 chain apparently.

BTW, my E13 chainrings are wearing out fast! I'll try Blackspire next time. (or a steel one recommended by someone else)

Thanks guys!

Attachments

Last edited: