The Single Speed Thread

notime

Likes Dirt
I have horizontals with QR, but I have the DTSwiss one's which tighten up like a bolt. I have not had an issue yet.

Carlin

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The tug nut is poorly designed. A QR skewer is not meant to take the horizontal force of a hub trying to move in a set of vertical dropouts under the torque of a single-speeder (Yest I have bent skewers).

What you need is a chain tensioner that slots into the dropouts and cups the 10mm axle not the QR. It's not as neat as bolt-up hub, but it should work.

'Ross

Eats Squid
Anyone had any experience with these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/GearClamp-Singl...Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item45f7e93ae2

Not really interested in purchasing, but I'm getting closer to the completion of my SS time trial bike, gotta convert the rear wheel to SS (Its a Campagnolo Vento so I'm keeping the normal cassette on it and yes the thing in the link wouldn't work anyway) and this just got me thinking about the alternatives to using spacers?
While I'm on that issue, who makes the best SS cogs to chuck on the rear? Its going to be a 1/8th setup.

My next question is; Bar ends on a light carbon bar (Ritchey WCS) good idea or bad idea? Haven't heard of any horror stories but not sure how they will hold up under the extra force.
I might post up my SS this week, hasn't differed much surprisingly the last year or so and I'm actually quite content with it besides maybe chucking some bar ends on.

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
In my brief search this morning, I only found one manufacturer who even makes a single speed cog for a campy freehub. It is a Gusset, but the width is 5/64", not even close to your desired 1/8" (the pic looks like it's a shimano freehub cog, but the description says campy). The world is your oyster when it comes to shimano freehub cogs though. My pick (for shimano) would be a Titanium 1/8" cog from Homebrewed Components in the USA.

Personally I wouldn't put bar ends on carbon bars, but it's your face, after all.

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
Anyone had any experience with these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/GearClamp-Singl...Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item45f7e93ae2

Not really interested in purchasing, but I'm getting closer to the completion of my SS time trial bike, gotta convert the rear wheel to SS (Its a Campagnolo Vento so I'm keeping the normal cassette on it and yes the thing in the link wouldn't work anyway) and this just got me thinking about the alternatives to using spacers?
While I'm on that issue, who makes the best SS cogs to chuck on the rear? Its going to be a 1/8th setup.

My next question is; Bar ends on a light carbon bar (Ritchey WCS) good idea or bad idea? Haven't heard of any horror stories but not sure how they will hold up under the extra force.
I might post up my SS this week, hasn't differed much surprisingly the last year or so and I'm actually quite content with it besides maybe chucking some bar ends on.
Pretty sure the Ritcheys, designed for barend-loving Eurotrash, are reinforced for barends. Look for an aluminium tube inserted in the end of the bar.

- Joel

'Ross

Eats Squid
^^^Definitely no insert, I cut them down from the original length and don't remember anything special on the ends either. I might give it a shot some point in the future and just see how much more flex occurs.

Thanks Stevo, reckon I might have to do some serious investigating on the cog, surely with the fixie craze these types of things would have grown in popularity and there will be something out there. If not might ask Cycle Underground to make one, anyone know if they are still in business? Bought my chainring off them a couple of years ago; well priced, drilled a bunch of holes in it for free for me and tough as nails!

shakes

Likes Dirt
This week I've swapped my nice cranks off my SS as they have been re-homed and fitted some make do's out of the parts bin.

I've gone from 175mm to 170mm and also at the same time from 32-17 to 30-17 and I feel like I've lost alot of the "punch" I've had and getting out of the saddle and sprinting up a hill is now much much harder.

Combination of the two? or does the shorter crank really effect things that much?

Turner_rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This week I've swapped my nice cranks off my SS as they have been re-homed and fitted some make do's out of the parts bin.

I've gone from 175mm to 170mm and also at the same time from 32-17 to 30-17 and I feel like I've lost alot of the "punch" I've had and getting out of the saddle and sprinting up a hill is now much much harder.

Combination of the two? or does the shorter crank really effect things that much?
30-17 must have you spinning like mad!!

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt

I noticed an increase in difficulty when I changed from 175 to 170. Your dropping the chainring size to 30 from 32 would more than compensate for the reduction in leverage. You will get your punch back, but it may take some time. I'm 5'6" with 30" inseam, what's your dimensions? The shorter cranks are better for high rpm spin sessions and the longer cranks would suit more sustained climbing.

FWIW, I'm undecided as to whether I'll go with 175 or stay at 170 for my next crankset. Having one set with reversible pedal threads which you could adjust would be perfect.

Last edited:

shakes

Likes Dirt
ATM I'm spinning like a demon on the road, off road where I'm riding is(read me not the trail) slow enough that I still have grind through a few sections. 32-17 to 30-17 Combined with 175 to 170mm cranks feels very similar just a little slower.

I'm also exact same height/inseam length 5'6" and 30"

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd persist with the 170/30 crank chainring combo if I were you. I'll assume it's on a 26er? Unless you can run a double/double, you'll always be spinning out too much on the road. I ride in a very slow techy area, so I use 33/19 with 170mm cranks on a 29er. No chance of spinning out at all. It's a little tough at times, but I'm always trying to improve, so I push fairly hard.

BTW, what cranks are you using? 30 is an unusual size chainring.

shakes

Likes Dirt
Some random Truvativ somethings out of the graveyard at my LBS. Chain ring cleared, and they were the right price :clap2: I need to learn to spin more so it's not a bad thing.

shakes

Likes Dirt
So I went to 30-15 To ride a couple of more open fast tracks, and some lower profile pedals.. That gave me most of the punch I lost back...(and as a bonus when I track down a half link don't have to run a chain tensioner :D Then I changed to narrower bars/longer stem as the wide bar I was running was giving me shoulder pain on rides over an hour long. And have since realised how much I was cranking on my bars when out of the saddle on climbs.

Forever tuning....

Last edited:

MikeyD

Squid
So I went to 30-15 To ride a couple of more open fast tracks, and some lower profile pedals.. That gave me most of the punch I lost back...(and as a bonus when I track down a half link don't have to run a chain tensioner :D Then I changed to narrower bars/longer stem as the wide bar I was running was giving me shoulder pain on rides over an hour long. And have since realised how much I was cranking on my bars when out of the saddle on climbs.

Forever tuning....
Half links are evil! They look the goods but then they stretch and bend and bind and before you know it it all just gets really ugly. Don't do it.

Mad Hatter

Likes Dirt
SS @ Mt Major? Some feedback please

Has anybody tried riding Mt Major near Shepparton on a single speed?
I tried on my Karate Monkey and failed in biblical fashion, but then I`m only new to the SS thing.
I`m curious to know if regular hard core SSers can do it. There is a round of the Enduro series there next month and a bit of feedback would be good.
Cheers
MH

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Has anybody tried riding Mt Major near Shepparton on a single speed?
I tried on my Karate Monkey and failed in biblical fashion, but then I`m only new to the SS thing.
I`m curious to know if regular hard core SSers can do it. There is a round of the Enduro series there next month and a bit of feedback would be good.
Cheers
MH
I haven't ridden there, but out of curiosity, what gear were you using? I use 33/19 on a 29er everywhere except the flattest tracks, but I've been ss'ing for a number of years though.

Mad Hatter

Likes Dirt
I rolled up there with the stock 33/17 only 2 days after getting the bike. More to show it off than anything else. Had an 18t in the tool box but after the short 1k loop near the bottom I gave up and grabbed the Gary Fisher. I`d probably get a bit further now but would want a 19 or more out back to do it, and even then it would be a once only lap if I did manage to get to the top.
The elevation plot shows 305 meters of climbing over the 10km enduro course with several sections climbing at 10% gradient for between 250 to 500 meters at a time.
Coming down there is a 2.4km run at -6% before a final 500 metre 10% climb.
Rinse and repeat.
Hoping someone with a bit more ability than me could have a go at the next club day and give some feedback. Are you up for the challenge? We`ll have a medic there for you just in case.
Cheers
MH