The Single Speed Thread

RDH

Likes Dirt
Some SS questions

1. Does anyone know where I can find a list of SS-frames equipped with Paragon sliders? Or, failing that, can you tell me what frames you are aware of that have Paragons?

2. Does anyone know of any EBB products for non-BB30 frames, other than the Philcentric

3. If you couldn't find all the features you wanted on a SS-specific - or at least SS-enabled - frame, would you use a tensioner on a geared frame? Or would you keep looking?

Thanks
RDH

Benizmo

Likes Dirt
What size frame is the fisher? Looks like lot of spacers, but still a decent seat bar drop.

It would climb like a goat (a very quick one) at that weight rigid!

splinter1959

Likes Dirt
29 SS with suspension???

I was thinking of putting together (buy, construct or steal) a 29er single speed but I have back problems so I can't go the minimalist path, I would have to have some sort of suspension.
I tried this idea in the 29er thread and ended up looking at a very nice bike called a Milk Money 3.0. Unfortunately there is a 4 to 6 month wait on a frame from America.
Then talking to people at the InterWinter last week someone suggested you can get suspension in the seat stem.
Anyone know anything about this?
Is it any good?

mars mtb

Likes Dirt
I was thinking of putting together (buy, construct or steal) a 29er single speed but I have back problems so I can't go the minimalist path, I would have to have some sort of suspension.
I tried this idea in the 29er thread and ended up looking at a very nice bike called a Milk Money 3.0. Unfortunately there is a 4 to 6 month wait on a frame from America.
Then talking to people at the InterWinter last week someone suggested you can get suspension in the seat stem.
Anyone know anything about this?
Is it any good?
Hey splinter,

Yes there are suspension seatposts around, have been for about 15 years now, but they are just getting better but not as prevalent.

If you really want the milk money 3.0 I would put my money down now and start securing your parts for build. You will have that pushiest for ages and can work twd it.

If you try and skimp and short cut it you will always be disappointed because you settled. Never settle if you cachieve what you want.

Good luck.

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Check out the cane creek thudbuster, its just about the only "cool" suspension post on the market. Couple that with a steel frame and wide tires and you'll get an pretty comfy bike.

I'm hooked on the single speeds again after a long time off them. This time I'm doing it with a 29er, and after a couple of weeks I think I've already worked up the fitness to drop down a gear. This is great!

victor h

Likes Bikes
What size frame is the fisher? Looks like lot of spacers, but still a decent seat bar drop.

It would climb like a goat (a very quick one) at that weight rigid!
17.5 size. I am 6ft and love it that way.

As for the spacers I have already taken out all three spacers....was just too high......only thing now is to cut the bars down a bit. Just too wide.

Lorday

Eats Squid
1. Does anyone know where I can find a list of SS-frames equipped with Paragon sliders? Or, failing that, can you tell me what frames you are aware of that have Paragons?

2. Does anyone know of any EBB products for non-BB30 frames, other than the Philcentric

3. If you couldn't find all the features you wanted on a SS-specific - or at least SS-enabled - frame, would you use a tensioner on a geared frame? Or would you keep looking?

Thanks
RDH
1. You looking specifically for paragon sliders? Or are every other slider/rockers style syste alright?

2. Philcentric and Tr!ckstuff do them. A company called foward components did a really good one, but they are no longer availiable.

3. I ride with tensioner currently, on a geared frame - when the frame eventually fails I'll be looking for something SS specific - cause tensioners are aids. If you go a tensioner then soulcraft does one of te best available.

RDH

Likes Dirt
1. You looking specifically for paragon sliders? Or are every other slider/rockers style syste alright?

2. Philcentric and Tr!ckstuff do them. A company called foward components did a really good one, but they are no longer availiable.

3. I ride with tensioner currently, on a geared frame - when the frame eventually fails I'll be looking for something SS specific - cause tensioners are aids. If you go a tensioner then soulcraft does one of te best available.

G'day

1 - Yeah, Paragons specifically. They make a 142x12 insert for the sliders and I want 142x12 on my next SS. Not sure if they have 142x12 for the rockers though. I have seen several other non-Paragon sliders and as far as I know 142x12 is not an option for them.

2 - Trickstuff eh? Anyone used the Exzentriker? Are they any good? Available in Australia?

3 - Soulcraft eh? I will look into it. And I am not so sure that tensioners are AIDS. HEP C maybe.

notime

Likes Dirt
2 - Trickstuff eh? Anyone used the Exzentriker? Are they any good? Available in Australia?
I have been using the Trickstuff for almost a year now and I'm about to install my overdue 3rd chain since. I did locktight the drive side cup into the BB after it span on my first ride, I have removed since and put back no problem. Adjustment is easy enough, a straight allen key and a very light tap on the end with a hammer to release the cam then you adjust by hand. Have had no noise, bearings still nice and Enduro (DIYMTB) do a replacement if required. Removal of granny tabs required for xt cranks and you will need the Trickstuff BB cup tool or make your own. I stick to the 3nm recommended for tightening and it's been fine. Bought mine here new from someone that didn't end up using it, but imported the tool from a UK site.

It gets a flogging too, big hill climbs up here and plenty of racing done on it under my 100kg's.

Last edited:

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt

Thanks
RDH
I have built/converted a number of geared bikes to single speed without using Tensioners.

Basically you need three things.
1: A 1/2 link chain
2: Std rear hub with flats filed on one face.
3: Good (Non Titanium) quick release skewer.

In essence I file the 5mm of the rear axle the interfaces with the frame flat. This removes approx 6 mm of material. This allows +- 12mm of adjustment of the rear sheel depending if the flat is forward of back facing.
Combined with 1/2 link chain you can tune the chain length enough so the 12mm adjustment is enough.
Also this limited (Just enough) travel does not seem to cause issues with the rear discs either.

Will upload pics.

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
At the risk of upsetting the Blacksheep haters, here is the latest incarnation of it, SS.

Also a Chinese FM056 that I had done up just as a marketing idea for the team.
These are not for sale via Koiled.

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
Thank you, pics would be appreciated as I can't quite picture what you're saying.

Thanks
RDH
See below. The wheel is as forward as it can go. Sitting just out of the dropout which is not ideal but one small ride and the chain stretch was enough for it to settle nicely.

By rotating the axle 180 degree's I can move it a total of 12 mm back. Same as a chain link (1/2 link).

SSFlats.jpg

look for my bike, SS-Merlin

http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/sho...Thread&p=2484238&highlight=merlin#post2484238

RDH

Likes Dirt
See below. The wheel is as forward as it can go. Sitting just out of the dropout which is not ideal but one small ride and the chain stretch was enough for it to settle nicely.

By rotating the axle 180 degree's I can move it a total of 12 mm back. Same as a chain link (1/2 link).
Ah, I see. That is some serious modification right there. Are you not concerned that tampering with the axles like that would lead to malfunction of the wheel?

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
Ah, I see. That is some serious modification right there. Are you not concerned that tampering with the axles like that would lead to malfunction of the wheel?
Not really, The axle is only filed flat till the face of the lock nut. 6 mm deep and 5mm in.. Also the retention force is through the vertical faces of the quick release and lock nut and not via the axle. Thats why the Horizontal dropouts work fine on older bikes.

I have been riding mine as a road bike primarily and have only taken it offroad a few times with no issues. Chain is easy to retension and no messy tensioners. Also, Worst case I can just buy a new axle for $15 and undo the change.

Have done 5 bikes, Only issue I have had is with one which had a titanium skewer, Turns out it had popped out a few times before the SS conversion. Replaced with a std Shimano skewer and all okay.

Last edited: