The Single Speed Thread

eyes

Likes Bikes and Dirt
where do you source the belt drive sprockets?...im very interested to go down that path!
Local bike shop. The distributor is Black Mountain Sports. You will only be going down that path if you have a frame designed for belt drive - you need a split to fit the belt through. Even then, only newer frames are built to the correct stiffness specifications from Gates.

Reece_STP2

Likes Bikes
Hey guys,

Picked this up a few weeks ago and thought I would share it.

It's a Sanderson Soloist and is the first full on XC bike I've owned. After riding this thing around some of Canberra's local trails I have pretty much decided to sell my Speccy Pitch (which I was using for XC duties).

It climbs like an animal, is super fast on the single trail stuff and I have had an absolute ball chasing the dually's down some of the basic downhill stuff at Stromlo (Pork Barrel, Double Dissolution, Western Wedgetail etc).

Specs:
Thompson elite post clamp and stem
Raceface Next SL carbon bars
Raceface Evolve SS cranks
Raceface Deus Xc headset
Easton XC one wheelset
Reba SL 100m fork w pop lock
B-19 pedals (also have some XTR pedals but I need new shoes)
XT disc brakeset
Maxxis UST XMark tyres
Fizik saddle
Izumi 3/32 chain

I've currently got it geared up at 34/18 which feels like a dream compared to my Cannondale roady which is at 46/17.

Love to hear everyones thoughts and would love to catch some other SS'ers out on the trails.

Attachments

Big JD

Wheel size expert
it is a question of length

all you crazy SS rigid riders - you suck.............................. you have encouraged me to do the same - it is like a midlife crisis (too old for this sh*t)

are you running wide bars and short stems or inverted stems and shorter bars to be in more XC position. Are alternative bars still the rage. I am looking for a light SS 29er wheelset if you are upgrading let me know

cheers

JD

eyes

Likes Bikes and Dirt
all you crazy SS rigid riders - you suck.............................. you have encouraged me to do the same - it is like a midlife crisis (too old for this sh*t)

are you running wide bars and short stems or inverted stems and shorter bars to be in more XC position. Are alternative bars still the rage. I am looking for a light SS 29er wheelset if you are upgrading let me know

cheers

JD
Screw the XC position - go wide. I'm running 700's with bullhorns for leverage, 90mm zero rise stem. Wide will give you some extra vibration dampning if you go rigid also...

mid-life crisis' are all the rage... anyway...

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Screw the XC position - go wide. I'm running 700's with bullhorns for leverage, 90mm zero rise stem. Wide will give you some extra vibration dampning if you go rigid also...

mid-life crisis' are all the rage... anyway...
yeah but this is my fourth one...................... it gets exhausting

mars mtb

Likes Dirt
I run 610mm wide FSA K-Force Riser Bars with 100mm Thomson zero rise stem on a size 18 (medium), I am 174cm with monkey arms and legs with shorter torso and personally find that ample on the nastiest of climbs too. But that's just me.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
I was running 685mm bars on 100mm stem now going for 730 on 80mm. Going for a thomson Ti 12 degree sweep and keeping it rigid and steel - that'll learn em.

ads_11

Likes Bikes
John, I am running 710mm with 100mm Thomson stem on my swift... Just about right I reckon..

Have you still got those Ti bars (jones/BS)???

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Hi Ads

John, I am running 710mm with 100mm Thomson stem on my swift... Just about right I reckon..

Have you still got those Ti bars (jones/BS)???
yes mate I have the Jones but not the Black sheep - "you would have to pry them from my cold dead hands". They are for sale but I am reluctant. There were a set of BS bars on ebay this week from Adelaide. They were narrow compared to my old ones. A mad SSer from the Yarra ranges brought my BS and loves them - he weighes less than a carton of VB and climbs mountains with one gear and no pants. all the Yarra SS crew are freaks (in a good way).

I have really changed my set up on the swift in the past few weeks. Running 180mm cranks and eccentric BB requires the saddle (rail) position to be more forward. Also the front end is quite high (lower head tube than most) so a 90mm and 730 should be great. I am looking forward to trying the Thomson Ti mated with big bag front tyre for complience. I figure I will be out of the saddle so much - I dont need the reach I would normally have on a 29er HT.

Hope you are great mate.

a wombat

Likes Bikes
For what it's worth I run 580/80mm stem and 600/90mm stem on my two SS 29ers. 600/90mm is rigid and we did 77km together on Australia day.

Both pushing 32:18 over varied terrain.

I have a Ritchey Classic 560mm flat bar if anyone wants one...... It comes new from the factory at 560mm ?!?!?!