The Single Speed Thread

Ideate

What's a typical SS ratio setup? I'm going to assume it's variable and to do with the rider and track but do people usually go 36/16 like my old BMX days?

I've just built this which I'm considering keeping (for sale at the moment). Feels good but haven't taken it to the trails yet.

DSC_0900.jpg

Ideate

Good starting point for 26" is 32/16 and 32/18 or 32/19 for a 29er
I think I'd spin out a lot with something like 32/18. Is that so you can get up the hill? What happens to you blokes when you're going down the hill? Just don't pedal and pump anything you can?

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
im runnin 35/17. That low gearing is so I can still climb most things.

But my inbred is a lot more xc than yours, all about sitting and spinning!

pumping and corner speed is key on ss. All about maintaining that momentum though stuff.

edit: Or just ride it your way :bananalama: :bananalama: :bananalama:

edit edit: Just realised I forgot to add Ím on 26.

Last edited:

creaky

XMAS Plumper
I think I'd spin out a lot with something like 32/18. Is that so you can get up the hill? What happens to you blokes when you're going down the hill? Just don't pedal and pump anything you can?
What is that bike ? A 29er ?

SS downhill requires you to maintain momentum as you can only spin to about 30kmh. You can hear higher obviously but if you have any decent hills you may end up walking.

Ideate

What is that bike ? A 29er ?

SS downhill requires you to maintain momentum as you can only spin to about 30kmh. You can hear higher obviously but if you have any decent hills you may end up walking.
It's a 650b Dartmoor Hornet with 26" wheels (specs here if you want to look).

I'm obviously out of my depth here but the bike feels so fun and light and simple since the SS setup. I think that would soon fade when faced with any sustained climb.

edit: Or just ride it your way :bananalama: :bananalama: :bananalama:
lol.. It's so tacky Russian isn't it?

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
I think that would soon fade when faced with any sustained climb.

lol.. It's so tacky Russian isn't it?
That's the beauty of ss. They all fade! And the real beauty is, you know that its gonna happen, so forget about worrying and just try to clear sections. Ride my ss more than any other bike I've owned.

Run that gearing and go slay some trails mate. Stop overthinking it. If you feel its to heavy after a couple of rides, buy a surly ss rear cog a tooth or 2 larger and swap it out!

It's brilliant. I get this stupid grin everytime I see one.

moorey

call me Mia
I'm out. My new commute over the mount can't abide by an SS, and I haven't taken this out on the trail once in months. N-1 time, no need for 2 unridden hardtails, and the Marley is more versatile. Wanted a ventana for yonks, wish I could justify keeping it, but to the trading section you will go. :pout:
View attachment 311557

creaky

XMAS Plumper
I'm out. My new commute over the mount can't abide by an SS, and I haven't taken this out on the trail once in months. N-1 time, no need for 2 unridden hardtails, and the Marley is more versatile. Wanted a ventana for yonks, wish I could justify keeping it, but to the trading section you will go. :pout:
View attachment 311557
At least you could part it out and use the brakes on an XL dually ...
Too nice a bike to sell. Can it be run with gears, or ss only ?

moorey

call me Mia
At least you could part it out and use the brakes on an XL dually ...
Too nice a bike to sell. Can it be run with gears, or ss only ?
You've got me thinking. Might look into the hanger thing, and gear it if I can. Marley is nice and slack, but if I'm keeping a hardtail, I'd prefer this. Thanks Creaky, owe you a Kale juice.

moorey

call me Mia
You've got me thinking. Might look into the hanger thing, and gear it if I can. Marley is nice and slack, but if I'm keeping a hardtail, I'd prefer this. Thanks Creaky, owe you a Kale juice.
Contacted Ventana, yes, they are, and cheap to post from the states. Looks like Its a keeper :woot:

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Contacted Ventana, yes, they are, and cheap to post from the states. Looks like Its a keeper :woot:
Nice one. Worst case outcome was you could have run an IGH in the singlespeed dropouts, then you would have been full hipster vegan

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
there are 3 separate loops - fairly short -covers most of the good sngl trk of wombat, the 2 sign posted loops plus some other stuff [not sure if we can release the full course yet, ill check]

Hi All. What format is the SS nats?

Had a look around on the interwebs, looks like a lot of fun.