The Single Speed Thread

Calvin27

Eats Squid
What's your budget?
Nordest Bardino is a really good price and comes in 4130 double butted Cromo, but it doesn't have the horizontal dropouts, so single speed with EBB or tensioner. I think you should do it!
Budget is pretty low, but happy to let it creep. I think the upper limit would be about this:

https://www.shandcycles.com/bikes/bahookie-single/

But yeah the other option is to pick up a cheap unit or something on the market and find someone to split the frame for me (not sure how hard that's going to be). This is probably one of the projects that ends up being a normal SS kona unit though to be honest. Split frames are hard to find or expensive.

The alternative is to find a hybrid/commuter style bike which is more common in split frame and pick the one that can hack the biggest tyres. I don't even know why I want one, but 2 of my mates have SS so I need to keep up (keep down?).

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
anyone t heading to tathra next weekend for ss nationals, havn’t ridden there but am only hearing good things about the trails

Ackland

chats d'élevage
I've chuckled up a wtb in the trading section but searching for a SS kit for a pivot les if anyone has one in a parts box

Refreshinglygood

Likes Bikes and Dirt
On the lookout for a large sser. Steel or Aluminum. anyone looking to offload? Anyone know someone?? frame, partial or full bike.

Last edited:

RichJS

Likes Dirt
So I turned a sliding dropout XTC Advanced 29er into SS with 27.5 x 2.6" / 120mm fork, and I can't handle the 60mm Bottom Bracket drop.

Pedal strikes everywhere cause I'm used to my Inbred 26" with ~0mm BB drop. I know 3.0" tyres would take the XTC up theoretical 10mm but I want at least 10mm more on that, and I like the idea of 2.4-2.6" tyres.

So, I think it's time to put the 29" wheels and gears back on the XTC and replace it with something else. But what else is a good XC/trail-ish 27.5" short travel SS? The numbers on Norco Fluid HT 27.5" frame look great - just missing sliding dropouts (and maybe a bit more reach on the Medium.)

Geo: 120mm fork, 66-67deg HA, 74-75deg HTA, 40mm BB drop, Boost axle, Reach ~450mm, room for 27.5x2.6" with mud, 420-460mm seatpost,
BSA BB ideal. Likewise 100mm headtube - if it's longer than 120mm then my fork might not fit..

Aside from having Marino / Waltly / someone else custom build me one, who makes this unicorn?

Santa Cruz Chameleon looks close .. a little more BB drop than I want, especially with 120mm 27.5" fork instead of 130mm. I am assuming that the "Geared" boost / 27.5 dropouts still slide. I don't mind having the option to put a derailleur straight on.

Hell, now I'm even thinking about chinese carbon duallies + chain tensioner. I don't mind some dual-sus SS action.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
So I turned a sliding dropout XTC Advanced 29er into SS with 27.5 x 2.6" / 120mm fork, and I can't handle the 60mm Bottom Bracket drop.

Pedal strikes everywhere cause I'm used to my Inbred 26" with ~0mm BB drop. I know 3.0" tyres would take the XTC up theoretical 10mm but I want at least 10mm more on that, and I like the idea of 2.4-2.6" tyres.

So, I think it's time to put the 29" wheels and gears back on the XTC and replace it with something else. But what else is a good XC/trail-ish 27.5" short travel SS? The numbers on Norco Fluid HT 27.5" frame look great - just missing sliding dropouts (and maybe a bit more reach on the Medium.)

Geo: 120mm fork, 66-67deg HA, 74-75deg HTA, 40mm BB drop, Boost axle, Reach ~450mm, room for 27.5x2.6" with mud, 420-460mm seatpost,
BSA BB ideal. Likewise 100mm headtube - if it's longer than 120mm then my fork might not fit..

Aside from having Marino / Waltly / someone else custom build me one, who makes this unicorn?

Santa Cruz Chameleon looks close .. a little more BB drop than I want, especially with 120mm 27.5" fork instead of 130mm. I am assuming that the "Geared" boost / 27.5 dropouts still slide. I don't mind having the option to put a derailleur straight on.

Hell, now I'm even thinking about chinese carbon duallies + chain tensioner. I don't mind some dual-sus SS action.
https://www.cotic.co.uk/product/BFe and get this - https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FSOOSSD/on-one-doofer-singlespeed-chain-tensioner