The Single Speed Thread

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Scotty's world champs bike!
It's twin (he also had a yellow one) is being used as a gravel rig/bike packing race rig by Sully who was planning on doing the 2020 tour divide on it until COVID

Last edited:

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
For you singlespeeders who still are singlespeeders... what a cracking bike and spec. Comes with niner rigid forks and a shit load of other stuff...

Purple/lilac is not my colour but this is awesome.

Would make a beautiful drop bar gravel bike too.

View attachment 378238
That's just lovely. Thank f*** it's too small for me.

All the more special as I don't think Baum make mountain bikes anymore?

RichJS

Likes Dirt
A few updates on the Waltly.
Nice. So I emailed my price quote form to waltly for my own Ti SS, they took a day or two to reply and say they're (already) busy and will be back to me in a few days. What diameter dropper post did you go with / which inner diameter did you get on the seat tube? Did you choose particular tube thicknesses or let them choose them for you?

Are their sliding dropouts all good? Did you ask for a spare set of sliders or anything like that?

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Nice. So I emailed my price quote form to waltly for my own Ti SS, they took a day or two to reply and say they're (already) busy and will be back to me in a few days. What diameter dropper post did you go with / which inner diameter did you get on the seat tube? Did you choose particular tube thicknesses or let them choose them for you?

Are their sliding dropouts all good? Did you ask for a spare set of sliders or anything like that?
I went with 31.6mm for the seat tube and I'm currently running a shim for my dropper which is 30.9 and this works fine. I let them choose the tube thickness and have been happy with how the bike rides, there is flex and I'm 85kg so might want to take that into consideration. The sliding dropouts are a bit love hate. I love it single speed but sliding dropouts are a compromise, with the flex of the frame there is a sound I have never been able to completely get rid of when standing up and mashing. I didn't bother getting extra dropouts but maybe should have. I have seen Waltlys with other types of movable dropouts so might be worth asking what options they have.

RichJS

Likes Dirt
I let them choose the tube thickness and have been happy with how the bike rides, there is flex
I think I might like a bit of flex. I had the Giant XTC Adv set up SS for a while, with carbon wheels. It felt brutally stiff compared to my Inbred, so I think I'd be happy with some flex.

I have more waltly questions .. might have to pop them in the waltly thread.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Does anyone know whether the current model Kona Unit comes with a rear hub capable of taking a cassette. I'm tossing up between getting a Unit or a Kahuna. I don't really want 12spd, and wouldn't mind getting back into SS, but having the option of running a 7 or 8 speed cassette on the stock rear hub would help get me over the line. SS would be great, but towing kids in trailers on SS might destroy my knees.

iconic

Likes Dirt
Does anyone know whether the current model Kona Unit comes with a rear hub capable of taking a cassette. I'm tossing up between getting a Unit or a Kahuna. I don't really want 12spd, and wouldn't mind getting back into SS, but having the option of running a 7 or 8 speed cassette on the stock rear hub would help get me over the line. SS would be great, but towing kids in trailers on SS might destroy my knees.
I believe it does, I bought the stock wheelset of a Kona unit 2020 model which was setup SS cog but the hub was a regular HG freehub.

Perhaps to be on safe side, email the Kona distributors?

Sent from my RMX2001 using Tapatalk

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
I believe it does, I bought the stock wheelset of a Kona unit 2020 model which was setup SS cog but the hub was a regular HG freehub.

Perhaps to be on safe side, email the Kona distributors?

Sent from my RMX2001 using Tapatalk
Thanks mate, I've got my eye on one, so might just ask the shop to confirm it's a HG freehub, then I can put the Box 1x9 groupset I've got on easily.

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
Greetings Singlespeeders
I just bought the young fella a bike, so I can envisage I'll be out riding round the local lake with him at some point, and while I'd love to go around the lake or having him in a seat on the back of my exxy trail bike, I'm thinking about getting a bike I can cruise around on with him and not have to worry too much about. After procrastinating the other week and looking at pump track bikes, I thought about putting together a 29er rigid singlespeed similar to the Soma that @Ackland posted a page or so back, but with the ability to put some suspension forks on at a later stage. Would be looking at some 'slicker' tyres too rather than off-road knobblies

I haven't seen much in the way of rigid single speeds, and have no idea where to start other than I don't really want anything off-the-shelf (and can't find much that is that interesting anyway! If anyone knows of anything, holler)
Am I right in assuming something like a Honzo frame (or similar) with adjustable dropouts, a rigid fork (Whisky or similar) and a cog (and spacers) with a compatible freehub is about all I'll need in addition to cockpit and brakes?
This is a dream at the minute and am hoping it'll end-up as N+1 by stealth...

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
I haven't seen much in the way of rigid single speeds, and have no idea where to start other than I don't really want anything off-the-shelf (and can't find much that is that interesting anyway! If anyone knows of anything, holler)
Am I right in assuming something like a Honzo frame (or similar) with adjustable dropouts, a rigid fork (Whisky or similar) and a cog (and spacers) with a compatible freehub is about all I'll need in addition to cockpit and brakes?
This is a dream at the minute and am hoping it'll end-up as N+1 by stealth...
What's your likely budget? There are some off-the-shelf things these days thanks to the proliferation of "adventure" and bikepacking bikes from Surly et al - not rigid 29er MTBs so you may not have come across them as options. Things like Surly Ogre and Bridgeclub (29 and 27.5 respectively) for example. Commuter Cycles is a good place to gander. Kona Unit is probably the one off the peg 29er rigid SS MTB that really comes to mind.

Key points for building something are as you say - a frame with either horizontal, sliding or otherwise adjustable dropouts, or with an eccentric BB. Fork you need to make sure you get something that is suspension corrected to give an axle-to-crown that is comparable to the suspension fork your frame is designed for. Any HG (Shimano 9/10/11sp) freehub is going to be the most readily available on the cheap/easiest to get SS spacer kit for - you can get SS hubs and you can get SS kits for XD freehubs but in both cases they're harder to find, fewer options, and more $$. The rest is like building any other bike but you don't have to buy derailleur, cassette, shifter or cables.

My Niner in ridgy-didge and sprung modes:

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
What's your likely budget? There are some off-the-shelf things these days thanks to the proliferation of "adventure" and bikepacking bikes from Surly et al - not rigid 29er MTBs so you may not have come across them as options. Things like Surly Ogre and Bridgeclub (29 and 27.5 respectively) for example. Commuter Cycles is a good place to gander. Kona Unit is probably the one off the peg 29er rigid SS MTB that really comes to mind.

Key points for building something are as you say - a frame with either horizontal, sliding or otherwise adjustable dropouts, or with an eccentric BB. Fork you need to make sure you get something that is suspension corrected to give an axle-to-crown that is comparable to the suspension fork your frame is designed for. Any HG (Shimano 9/10/11sp) freehub is going to be the most readily available on the cheap/easiest to get SS spacer kit for - you can get SS hubs and you can get SS kits for XD freehubs but in both cases they're harder to find, fewer options, and more $$. The rest is like building any other bike but you don't have to buy derailleur, cassette, shifter or cables.

My Niner in ridgy-didge and sprung modes:

View attachment 381228

View attachment 381229
Cheers for that. Something like the rigid is what I'm looking at, can easily hit the bikepath pretty easily and convert to HT later on.
I reckon budget would be 2k-ish but likely more when I get 'researching'

Last edited:

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Cheers for that. Something like the rigid is what I'm looking at, can easily hit the bikepath pretty easily and convert to HT later on.
I reckon budget would be 2k0ish but likely more when I get 'researching'
Check out those NS eccentric frames at chain reaction as they would be a good cheap option to build up and ss. You would need a tensioner but that's not a deal breaker.