The stupid questions thread.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Just discovered that that the hose on my Reverb dropper post is fouling on my quick release seatpost collar so looking for a new bolt up collar with a lower profile.
Now for what may be a stupid question Cheapo ebay collar or overpriced Hope etc. is there really that big of a difference in performance for ten times the price?
Short answer, no, it's all about the wank factor.

Having said that, I've had El chappos that've lost the anno in a couple of months, bolts have rusted, and heads that have rounded out, one that the bolt kept stretching, and one that the bolt snapped the first tighten, about a thousand miles from spec torque.

#knucklesisachunt

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Just discovered that that the hose on my Reverb dropper post is fouling on my quick release seatpost collar so looking for a new bolt up collar with a lower profile.
Now for what may be a stupid question Cheapo ebay collar or overpriced Hope etc. is there really that big of a difference in performance for ten times the price?
You don't need to buy the hope one, but don't go El cheapo either. They stretch, crack, strip, and round out. I have used quite a few hope competitors and been happy.

Shredden

Knows his goats
I got a Thomson for like $25 off eBay after always running shitty OEM ones etc. Considering that anything decent-ish will start at like $15, I reckon its worth the extra $10 for something you know will last forever and ever. It's about as basic as a part comes but there definitely is a difference in quality/tolerances.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
At the moment I have a 9speed on the back 2 on the front - Deore LX.

Next stupid question -
Could I put a 10 speed on with the new wheels and tune my derailleurs accordingly or is there a little more to it than that?
Yep, you can put a 10 speed cassette on an 11 speed free hub body, you may need a spacer behind the cassette though.
You're thinking of road. No spacers required on MTB hubs; 8,9,10 and Shimano 11-sp, all use the same freewheel body (therefore one cannot do the weird thing & fit a road 11-sp. cassette on). SRAM 11 needs a special one due to its 10T top sprocket. New rear derailleur and shifter required for changing to either 10 or 11-sp.

Switch

huskier headed gent
$22 Hope seatpost collar on Merlin solved the problem for me. Of course I ended up spending more on other impulse items to justify the postage :peace:

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
You're thinking of road. No spacers required on MTB hubs; 8,9,10 and Shimano 11-sp, all use the same freewheel body (therefore one cannot do the weird thing & fit a road 11-sp. cassette on). SRAM 11 needs a special one due to its 10T top sprocket. New rear derailleur and shifter required for changing to either 10 or 11-sp.
Ah, good pickup Duck! I was indeed thinking of road. As you were, Tubeless! Apologies for causing the minor freakout at replacing the whole lot.

Tubeless

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You're thinking of road. No spacers required on MTB hubs. New rear derailleur and shifter required for changing to either 10 or 11-sp.
Cheers, Ducky.

Ah, good pickup Duck! I was indeed thinking of road. As you were, Tubeless! Apologies for causing the minor freakout at replacing the whole lot.
No worries, still not bothering as everything is tickety boo at the moment. I was more just curious.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
i could be wrong, but i'm almost certain some newer hubs allow for an 11spd road cassette as they are used for disc CX bikes too.

a quick look says hope offer an 11spd road freehub for their pro 4 hubs (with a spacer), but the standard freehub is 10/11spd mtb.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Is that for toilets as well, just be careful not to drop your cap in your shit.
I don't often take the time to dole out sensible advice, but I'd suggest not taking a shit while upside down.

Although, it'd be a lot cheaper than what you're currently paying for your weekly Cleveland Steamer.

Clothesline is a bar hanging from the roof ..which has given me an idea.
What floor are you on?

#knucklesisachunt