The stupid questions thread.

safreek

8mm spanner for the compression nut.

Stock hose lengths are very generous, so invariably need shortening when fitting to the bike, so easy as to swap the hoses at the same time - it ain't rocket surgery.

Do NOT use side cutters to cut the hose, you'll just munt it. Use a sharp stanley knife to cleanly slice it with the supplied guide.
Cheers mate, have ordered the brakes so hopefully everybody's shimano recommendations are right.
Have never bought new hydro brakes before so hopefully I shall be in for a pleasant experience.
I hope the rotors I have won't let me down, I assume I should hit them with a good solvent clean

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Cheers mate, have ordered the brakes so hopefully everybody's shimano recommendations are right.
Have never bought new hydro brakes before so hopefully I shall be in for a pleasant experience.
I hope the rotors I have won't let me down, I assume I should hit them with a good solvent clean
Yep, abit of brake cleaner and a rub down with a scotch bad and happy days.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
8mm spanner for the compression nut.

Stock hose lengths are very generous, so invariably need shortening when fitting to the bike, so easy as to swap the hoses at the same time - it ain't rocket surgery.

Do NOT use side cutters to cut the hose, you'll just munt it. Use a sharp stanley knife to cleanly slice it with the supplied guide.
Never had a problem using side cutters, just a nice quick clean finish. Though I would not have mad as many hose cuts as Duckmeister. Out of curiosity which of the parts is the cutting guide?

You may want a little mineral oil to top up the lines after you make the corrections as well @safreek. This is one of the great reasons to go shimano. It is so much better than dot fluids.

Now the big question that arrives here is...can he just use baby oil? Or does he need to use shimano mineral oil? Can he use magura mineral oil? Oh whatever will be do here? Not sure if I remember correctly, but Duckmeister may have been running a workshop trial on some old shimano brakes a while ago?

safreek

Never had a problem using side cutters, just a nice quick clean finish. Though I would not have mad as many hose cuts as Duckmeister. Out of curiosity which of the parts is the cutting guide?

You may want a little mineral oil to top up the lines after you make the corrections as well @safreek. This is one of the great reasons to go shimano. It is so much better than dot fluids.

Now the big question that arrives here is...can he just use baby oil? Or does he need to use shimano mineral oil? Can he use magura mineral oil? Oh whatever will be do here? Not sure if I remember correctly, but Duckmeister may have been running a workshop trial on some old shimano brakes a while ago?
I certainly have a fair bit of baby oil in the bedr ahh I mean the shed.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
It's 5 wt hydraulic oil from memory. Used in just about every BYM. That being said I bought a lifetime supply of the Shimano stuff with change from a couple of lobsters.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I purchased the shimano gear from crc years ago, $20 for a litre! I'm not running out in a hurry either. But I used baby oil once briefly in am emergency...it worked fine for ages.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I used to use "parrot beak" type cable cutters for a while, which wrap around the cable/hose as they cut, so give a cleaner edge, but are still a bit messy with kevlar-wrapped hose. I now have a proper razor bade-type hose cutter, which is fast, clean and awesome.

The cutting guide supplied with the Shimano brake sets is two yellow plastic blocks with a channel along one face. Pop them on the hose, clamp in a vice at the appropriate spot & whip through with your Very Sharp Blade where the hose exits the blocks.

I do indeed have a set of old Shimano M485 brakes on long-term bench test with different fluids; one at least still has Magura juice in it, and does not appear to have blown its seals as a result, so I think it's safe to say that Magura stuff is fine. Can't recall what's in the other one, whether it's a control with Shimano oil, or something else. I don't think I've tried baby oil yet (how do they extract it from babies??), so might have to give that a shot.

Last edited:

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
I would have recommended Formula Cura, less than $300 a pair from ze Germans and mineral oil too. Mine are ace!

Reactions: Zaf