The stupid questions thread.

ashes_mtb

Likes Dirt
Is the plastic preload thing on Shimano hollowtech cranks important? Doing last minute build from scratch for a 6am ride and realise the second hand cranks I bought a few years ago didn't come with one.. I've used a wood working clamp to pull together and tightened it all up - doesn't seem to be any play. Am I in danger of having them fall off at an in opportune moment?

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Nope, no danger. Just push it on 'ard & do up the opposing bolts.

That little black thing has a tiny stopper preventing the crank from creeping off anyway.

Tim_the_Clyde

Likes Bikes
Only preloads bearings. The bolts on the crank arm hold it together.

Same deal as a headset top cap loads bearings and stem does the job of holding it all in together.

Imagine some weight weenies take it off with there stem caps!

Just make sure your clamp loads the bearings correctly or you will get play or binding. Probably not an issue for one ride?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That little black thing has a tiny stopper preventing the crank from creeping off anyway.
I haven't come across a second hand set that hasn't had the little pin broken off, seems that most people forget it's there and just loosen the pinch bolts enough to get the crank arm off rather than taking that one bolt out and swinging it out of the way.

pink poodle

Clinically Inane
^ I've actually found that if that tensioner comes loose the crank can develop a little play. This may depend on what/how you are riding. I was just riding to the shops...

You can buy aluminium replacements from token for about $10 if you want peace of mind.

Dales Cannon

Adminerotic
Staff member
^ I've actually found that if that tensioner comes loose the crank can develop a little play. This may depend on what/how you are riding. I was just riding to the shops...

You can buy aluminium replacements from token for about $10 if you want peace of mind.
This is curious because the pinch bolts will prevent movement more than a piece of plastic. Weird. Was it in this universe that happened?

ashes_mtb

Likes Dirt

Good to know. Not an option for the dawn patrol tomorrow but will get one for next time.

pink poodle

Clinically Inane
This is curious because the pinch bolts will prevent movement more than a piece of plastic. Weird. Was it in this universe that happened?
I was well miffed by it, because as everyone says - the pinch bolts are where the holding power is. In this instance the pinch bolts weren't loose either...as it is well known I don't ride in am aggressive manner and am generally considered a light weight by those that have seen me in the flesh and are familiar with my "the body is a temple" approach to life. I put it down to there being too long of a time and too many hucks between tool touchings.

Calvin27

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Fork seal service, the air side won't bucge, I am almost ready to use a sledge hammer on the lower bolt to break it. Damper side came off easily. Any special tricks?