The stupid questions thread.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Why can't I buy single cogs or a section of cogs for my cassette?

I use the low gears on my bike all the time and never hit the high gears on a descent. So when I need to replace a cassette I am always throwing whole sections of an unused or lightly used cassette. I could probably get 25years use out of the high end if I could just replace what I needed each time.

Does anyone else think of this?
Maybe you need a smaller chainring? So you can use some of the little ones at the back?

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Maybe you need a smaller chainring? So you can use some of the little ones at the back?
I am already running a 30t and I guess I could run a 28t. But even then I only use half the cassette at best.
What cassette? Some are mostly separate.
I run XT or Sunrace but can only find a full cassette to buy.
In the interest of trying to consume and waste less it has me thinking home much useful stuff goes in the bin. Makes me sad.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I am already running a 30t and I guess I could run a 28t. But even then I only use half the cassette at best.

I run XT or Sunrace but can only find a full cassette to buy.
In the interest of trying to consume and waste less it has me thinking home much useful stuff goes in the bin. Makes me sad.
You can find them on ebay separate but a lot of times so expensive that they're not worth buying. From time to time you get cheaper ones show up.

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=32-36T+for+10-speed&_sacat=0

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
My rims are drilled for Schrader; can I still convert to tubeless? Do I use the standard presta tubeless stems? Anything else special I need to do to make it work?

moorey

call me Mia
My rims are drilled for Schrader; can I still convert to tubeless? Do I use the standard presta tubeless stems? Anything else special I need to do to make it work?
Yes. Either ghetto with schrader valves threaded all the way down..or moto valves if you’ve got wide rims.
Have used ones similar to this.
These are better.

https://images.app.goo.gl/QV6uhoYoNpdhmAiEA

The ghetto valve cut out of a tube works well (if threaded all the way)

Ones that look like this, rather than rubber stem.

Last edited:

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Yep. Do-able. I ran presta tubeless stems thru shrader holes for a couple of years no worries, as a tubeless set-up.
Put a small o-ring under the presta lock washer. Screw it down just tight enough to locate/centre the presta stem in the hole.
Before you mount the tyres, push the back side of the presta into the hole to seat it against the rim tape & then tighten the lock washer down tight so the o-ring is squashed, but not fucked.

Skydome

What's invisible and smells like hay?
Alright so one of the high beam bulbs on my car blew still with one it's ok.

But instead of just replacing the halogen bulb i'm wondering about just replacing the whole headlight system with an aftermarket HID/LED.

Now I run an 03 camry so is it even possible to get an ADR approved LED/HID kit for it?

I know there's lots of ADR non compliant kits out but I don't know if you'd get into trouble with the police for it.

Plus i've been the victim quite a fair bit of those non ADR compliant HID/LED kits and it isn't nice.