The stupid questions thread.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
yep, caps look fucked..they look to be bulging at the top.
looks to be an inverter cct, as you have a single phase supply running 3ph comp and fan
these types of inverters require a nice clean reliable supply, any sort of spikes or transients will surely fuck them in no time flat..Good luck

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Capacitors are polarity sensitive, make sure you put the replacements in the same way as they are now.

EDIT: Have you checked the 25A fuse as per fault diagnostic guide in the second photo?

EDIT: On second glance the whole thing would be dead if that was blown, check fuse F03 instead.

Last edited:

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
you can get the caps off Ebay, but you are going to have to wait all winter for them to arrive on a slow boat from the far east!
do you have a DMM that does uF?

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Capacitors are polarity sensitive, make sure you put the replacements in the same way as they are now.

EDIT: Have you checked the 25A fuse as per fault diagnostic guide in the second photo?

EDIT: On second glance the whole thing would be dead if that was blown, check fuse F03 instead.
I doubt it's a fuse - indeed, the heat function worked last night but not this morning.

Intermittent fault, likely something slowly dying.

The Toshie a/c dept dude is in Alexandria so it's easy to swing past...

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
the heating and cooling process are essentially the same function, its just the flow of gas that changes its direction via the 4way valve (RV)

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
I doubt it's a fuse - indeed, the heat function worked last night but not this morning.

Intermittent fault, likely something slowly dying.

The Toshie a/c dept dude is in Alexandria so it's easy to swing past...
... except that the fault diagnostic guide says that F03 will blow if there is problem with the capacitors, it might be an easy way to confirm that the capacitors need replacing.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
... except that the fault diagnostic guide says that F03 will blow if there is problem with the capacitors, it might be an easy way to confirm that the capacitors need replacing.
its a glass fuse, you should be able to see if its intact, sorry pics aren't that close to see from here
its the little fucker wedged in between the black caps and the smaller aluminium heat sink

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
I reckon one of the comp transistors (IGBT) is cooked, if anyone out of the six play up, you will get no 3 phase to the compressor
see what old mate at toshiba says, but I think it may be new PCB time

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
How difficult would it to be for someone with a clue to diagnose the board functions?

I seem to recall these boards being very expensive...over $1k.

[edit] Found this.

Last edited:

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
How difficult would it to be for someone with a clue to diagnose the board functions?

I seem to recall these boards being very expensive...over $1k.

[edit] Found this.
Replace the board will be dearer but guaranteed to work, changing capacitors yourself would be significantly cheaper but may or may not fix the fault. Unless you can find someone who specifically diagnoses and repairs boards/has the parts on hand then I imagine most people wouldn't be interested and I would think that any savings would quickly be eaten up in hourly charge rates.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Cqps look ok to me, normally they explode over everything when they go. Have you had the backing off the board? Could be ant tracks which are a prick of a thing that can blow transistors. Give it a good spray with board cleaner but check first on something that wont hurt if it melts. Jaycar will sell caps that size, maybe $25 each.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Our Toshiba A/C stopped doing its reverse cycle heat thing the other night. This unit was here in the old house when we bought it six years ago & it was probably already installed 5 years prior.

Anyway, we were going to replace it but damn, something with this grunt ain't cheap. And the Toshie units get a great wrap. Found online diagnostic info (fault is either external PCB or fan unit) so rang the Toshiba helpline. Never have I spoken to a more upfront dude...he says as the fan spins (on cool) the fan motor is likely ok, and the PCB is also likely ok as the unit mostly works.

He's adamant that the capacitors are gone/fading. He says this is something I can swap at home. So I pulled the unit apart tonight:

I'm a clutzzz with a soldering iron but can make it work.

Am I going to break something doing it myself (he can sell me the caps)?
Buy a new jumper and save the planet.