The stupid questions thread.

Milpool

Have knuckles, will drag
My last derailleur got eaten by my cassette, put a new one on (Zee) and it has been fine for a couple of weeks, started sounding like it wasn't enjoying the granny ring, kinda like it was rubbing somewhere, then yesterday it sucked into the cassette again. No damage this time but not keen to ride it until I've stopped the problem. Any ideas? I need a new chain and cassette, was thinking maybe it just gets closed, then if it skips it jumps into it?

creaky

XMAS Plumper
My last derailleur got eaten by my cassette, put a new one on (Zee) and it has been fine for a couple of weeks, started sounding like it wasn't enjoying the granny ring, kinda like it was rubbing somewhere, then yesterday it sucked into the cassette again. No damage this time but not keen to ride it until I've stopped the problem. Any ideas? I need a new chain and cassette, was thinking maybe it just gets closed, then if it skips it jumps into it?
Is your chain too short? Limit screw not set right?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
What size zee did you get?

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
What size cassette? Those Zee's don't like bigger cassettes, I've had the same thing and the derailleur is going strong again with a smaller cassette

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Chain through the derailleur the right way? If it's on the wrong side of the spreader between the pulleys it'll run like shit.

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
can the gap between gx shifters be adjusted? maybe i have weird thumbs but I feel like i'm respositioning my hand for downshifts whilst still reaching for upshifts

Milpool

Have knuckles, will drag
Chain through the derailleur the right way? If it's on the wrong side of the spreader between the pulleys it'll run like shit.
Yeah I think so. It runs fine for the most part, I think I actually had the b scew too far out and it seemed like it was sort of pulling the chain on a funny angle. From riding around today it seems to want to do it switching from granny ring to the next year, sort of as it transitions it wants to rise up first and sucks it in.

The mechanic I was going to send it to straight away just said Zee is short cage and can't run 36t but everything I've read says 36t, some people even run them with those 40t extender ring things so I don't think it's that.
Or chain too short maybe?
Strangely from what I've read some people suggest shortening it fixes it. I really need a new chain and cassette anyway so I'll make sure I re-measure. Or someone less stupid than me re-measures.

moorey

call me Mia
I’m chasing a set of good flat shoes for the wife. A mate offered me new clipless 5Tens with the insert still in...will they ride like flat shoes or feel crap?