The stupid questions thread.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Is that code for something?
It's coming...you just wait. It will be the bike industries comeback from covid. They'll allow all their stocks to be depleted of old tech and skip a year to make us thirsty. Then bam - unnecessary but significant incompatible design change that means everything old is dead. I'm predicting a reverse taper head tube.

CHEWY

Eats Squid
GX 12sp skipping in the smaller cogs on cassette.
Chain 100km old, derailleur 600km old cassette probably 1k km old.
Only seemed to start doing it after my chain/mech ate a spoke. New chain didn't fix (old one visibly damaged so replaced expecting it to fix the issue).
Cant see any other damage. I think adjustment is ok.
Any ideas? Don't say new bike.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Only seemed to start doing it after my chain/mech ate a spoke. New chain didn't fix (old one visibly damaged so replaced expecting it to fix the issue).
If you are too much of a tight arse to get a new bike, maybe the hanger is bent?

moorey

call me Mia
1000km can leave a cassette near new, or near munted, depending on conditions, and your previous chain. Inspect it for any wear or burring.
Also, maybe you have too much B screw, and it’s not engaging on the chain enough. Also, maybe your limiting screw isn’t set right, and it’s not meshing properly.

Minlak

custom titis
Sooo what does the brain's trust think a fair price for a set of GXP Sram X1 cranks would be?

175mm, 32T (non-spider) chainring, a few rub and scuff marks but otherwise good condition - solid 7/10 conservatively. I think I've got a suitable (and pretty new) threaded BB I could throw in for them too..
I would pay $200 for them - that’s what I Paid for my other 2 sets - I don’t want them at the moment by the way but think that’s a fair price - and what else you gunna buy for $200 these days.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
My guess is the derailleur is bent (parallelogram and/or cage), but as poodle says, check the hanger alignment first. My GX mech ate a stick as thick as my thumb early on it's life and it's never been 100% since. I got it fairly straight by taking off the cage and straightening it, then giving the whole mech a few good twists to straighten out the movement - it involved beer and a "if it breaks it needed fixing anyway" attitude. I think the trick was to get it shifting nice on the smaller cogs then work on the bigger cogs - you might even need to bend the hanger a little out of true to compensate for the bent mech.

On chains, I measured the stretch on my GX 12-speed vs a new GX and an X01 that's probably done as many k's as the GX. In the photo below, the chains are from left to right: new GX, used GX with about 0.3% stretch, and the used X01 with about 0.1% elongation. Suggest that like GX cassette granny rings, GX chains are also made of cheese. Based on my very limited experience, you'll get about 2 to 3 times the life out of an X01 chain with less wear on the cassette.

So... if my GX chain is at 0.3%, is it too late for me to swap in the new one, run it to 0.3% then alternate the new & old?

CHEWY

Eats Squid
1000km can leave a cassette near new, or near munted, depending on conditions, and your previous chain. Inspect it for any wear or burring.
Also, maybe you have too much B screw, and it’s not engaging on the chain enough. Also, maybe your limiting screw isn’t set right, and it’s not meshing properly.
Which one is the limiting screw? This is mainly happening in the 3rd smallest cog as thats what I use for the downhills.

CHEWY

Eats Squid
My guess is the derailleur is bent (parallelogram and/or cage), but as poodle says, check the hanger alignment first. My GX mech ate a stick as thick as my thumb early on it's life and it's never been 100% since. I got it fairly straight by taking off the cage and straightening it, then giving the whole mech a few good twists to straighten out the movement - it involved beer and a "if it breaks it needed fixing anyway" attitude. I think the trick was to get it shifting nice on the smaller cogs then work on the bigger cogs - you might even need to bend the hanger a little out of true to compensate for the bent mech.

On chains, I measured the stretch on my GX 12-speed vs a new GX and an X01 that's probably done as many k's as the GX. In the photo below, the chains are from left to right: new GX, used GX with about 0.3% stretch, and the used X01 with about 0.1% elongation. Suggest that like GX cassette granny rings, GX chains are also made of cheese. Based on my very limited experience, you'll get about 2 to 3 times the life out of an X01 chain with less wear on the cassette.

So... if my GX chain is at 0.3%, is it too late for me to swap in the new one, run it to 0.3% then alternate the new & old?

View attachment 368046
Eyeballing it everything looks straight..I cant see anything physically wrong with it which is what's got me stumped. Chain is new.
Could it be the main mounting B screw having slop in it as per this thread

I probably should just start at the start and fit a new cable.

CHEWY

Eats Squid

Backed off the b screw one turn and it was much better this morning. Cheers

Minlak

custom titis
This is going in here as it’s more of a rant and a rhetorical question.

How the fuck do people keep getting their high end bikes stolen from public places ? How fucking dumb are you?

I get:-
Someone broke into my locked car - not your fault
Someone broke into my house - not your fault
But seriously even before we had battery operated tools it was easy to steal a bike why the fuck do you leave them in plain view and walk away and leave it out of your sight?