The stupid questions thread.

At least rice bran oil's available in big bottles again. Although I have a feeling it's far costlier now.

Is there any substitute for olive oil when it comes to drizzling and pan cooking bread or spinach? Does Bran Oil taste like crap for instance?

Any food oil not in a tin or glass bottle may (due to endocrine disruptor chemicals offing from the plastic into the oil, and/or degrading the plastic container) be bad for your long term health. Take it with a grain of salt if you want, but Food Oils interact with plastic, and not in a good way.

Is there any substitute for olive oil when it comes to drizzling and pan cooking bread or spinach? Does Bran Oil taste like crap for instance?
It's a neutral and high-smokepoint so not an olive oil replacement. I've never used it for that purpose so not entirely sure what it tastes like.

I think it is an equipment and process issue, rather than the result of mixing oil and garlic. I've done it a few different ways plenty of times without issue. My current favourite method is to confit it.

While I haven't been out on my wagon wheels as much as I would like, yesterday's ride on my local network raised a question...

Dear riding gurus,

It seems that a lot of the short gravity oriented trails at my local site were built by someone (or perhaps a group of someones) in an era when bikes were a bit different. 26 inch wheels, shorter wheel bases, steeper head angles, and perhaps in some cases even for a specific type of bike (perhaps something like a slope style bike given the way many tight corners rail into a jump)...none of which this new bike of mine is. I'll never know for sure as whoever built these wonderful trails did so a long time ago and their identity/ies has always been a mystery. Anyway, the question is am I wasting my time trying to learn how to rail this bike around tight corners? Is there a special technique I am yet to learn for slamming a big bike around? Or is it just time for new corners? I also notice when it is time to exit the corner and power slam my pedals into the upcoming jump it takes a little additional effort (I had a huge rear wheel case the other day!).

On the other hand the bike glides over what seems to be a section that wpuld have once felt a bit rough, mostly being roots into a gully.

While I haven't been out on my wagon wheels as much as I would like, yesterday's ride on my local network raised a question...

Dear riding gurus,

It seems that a lot of the short gravity oriented trails at my local site were built by someone (or perhaps a group of someones) in an era when bikes were a bit different. 26 inch wheels, shorter wheel bases, steeper head angles, and perhaps in some cases even for a specific type of bike (perhaps something like a slope style bike given the way many tight corners rail into a jump)...none of which this new bike of mine is. I'll never know for sure as whoever built these wonderful trails did so a long time ago and their identity/ies has always been a mystery. Anyway, the question is am I wasting my time trying to learn how to rail this bike around tight corners? Is there a special technique I am yet to learn for slamming a big bike around? Or is it just time for new corners? I also notice when it is time to exit the corner and power slam my pedals into the upcoming jump it takes a little additional effort (I had a huge rear wheel case the other day!).

On the other hand the bike glides over what seems to be a section that wpuld have once felt a bit rough, mostly being roots into a gully.

Ur just getting old and starting to suck.
Fix this by finding sum 14yo to ride with.

Ur just getting old and starting to suck.
Fix this by finding sum 14yo to ride with.

I have always sucked! So that is nothing new. I rode with a 14 year old (and his dad) the other day and there is no way to type a sentence here that doesn't make me sound like a Catholic priest. The terms "whip" (as in "whip master") "table top", "1 hander", "schooled" and "rhythm" are a minefield.

Is there anywhere in Australia that it isn't going to rain from 1 to 3 July? Because I finally have 3 days in a row off work and fuck fuckity fuck fucking fuck fucking surprise we have again been warned of a lot of rain coming here. I have decided that I am going on a 3 day holiday to anywhere that it isn't raining...probably. and in reality what I mean is which capital city that isn't Hobart, Darwin, or brisvegas is dry?

Is there anywhere in Australia that it isn't going to rain from 1 to 3 July? Because I finally have 3 days in a row off work and fuck fuckity fuck fucking fuck fucking surprise we have again been warned of a lot of rain coming here. I have decided that I am going on a 3 day holiday to anywhere that it isn't raining...probably. and in reality what I mean is which capital city that isn't Hobart, Darwin, or brisvegas is dry?

Smithfield, Cairns -

IMG_FBA735F6FE44-1.jpeg

Oh and Pipeline (Smithfield trails) just re-opened today.

Back