The stupid questions thread.

Hew

Likes Dirt
Where is a workshop I can go and use to build things?

It seems like a relatively simple thing - a public workshop, open (perhaps with a small fee) to anyone who wants to construct something but doesn't have the thousands of dollars worth of machinery at home to do it. Australia is so big on the blokey DIY thing, there must be an option somewhere. My searching hasn't come up with much except for the mens shed franchise (for lack of a better word), which seems to be based more around giving old blokes something to do and providing a slightly less awkward place to go and talk about hemoriods. While this seems like the best option, I'm sure there is somewhere else I can go.

I've tried asking my old tafe but because I'm not a student I wouldn't be covered by insurance and all sorts of stuff, which is a shame.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Where is a workshop I can go and use to build things?

It seems like a relatively simple thing - a public workshop, open (perhaps with a small fee) to anyone who wants to construct something but doesn't have the thousands of dollars worth of machinery at home to do it. Australia is so big on the blokey DIY thing, there must be an option somewhere. My searching hasn't come up with much except for the mens shed franchise (for lack of a better word), which seems to be based more around giving old blokes something to do and providing a slightly less awkward place to go and talk about hemoriods. While this seems like the best option, I'm sure there is somewhere else I can go.

I've tried asking my old tafe but because I'm not a student I wouldn't be covered by insurance and all sorts of stuff, which is a shame.
Just head to Bunnings and make sure you have plenty of questions to keep the sales staff busy whilst you 'test drive' the equipment.

Bermshot

Banned
First time I wore my RB T I slammed straight into a tree, just the usual scuffs and scratches to body and bike, the T is fine.

Is my RB T CURSED!?

Last edited:

Joy

Likes Dirt
How many times should I dunk my tea bag in my average sized mug before the water reaches maximum tea saturation?

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Why is it impossible to move house without losing something??? Just realised a box of my favourite novels and important uni textbooks has gone MIA and no idea where it is. Tore the apartment apart for the last hour and nothing??? AARRGGGHHHH

Fruitbat

Likes Dirt
Why is it impossible to move house without losing something??? Just realised a box of my favourite novels and important uni textbooks has gone MIA and no idea where it is. Tore the apartment apart for the last hour and nothing??? AARRGGGHHHH
I feel your pain... around $1500 worth of tools and bike bits missing in action..... I really really hope they are in the storage unit, not with the ex-wife.....

Last edited:

taitt

Likes Dirt
Why is it that when I road ride at 5am it's hardly ever windy, but if I ride any time after 9 it's almost always ridiculously windy?

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
Why is it that when I road ride at 5am it's hardly ever windy, but if I ride any time after 9 it's almost always ridiculously windy?
Why is it that when I ride to uni in the mornings (9-10am), the wind is directly against me. And on the way home (4-6pm), it is also directly against me. And this isn't the traditional "the wind is always against you" crap. I've stopped to look at the trees and long grass and they are actually flexing with the wind in different directions morning and evening.

moorey

call me Mia
Why is it that when I ride to uni in the mornings (9-10am), the wind is directly against me. And on the way home (4-6pm), it is also directly against me. And this isn't the traditional "the wind is always against you" crap. I've stopped to look at the trees and long grass and they are actually flexing with the wind in different directions morning and evening.
I've lamented this in LTIH. If I lived on the other side of town, it would be all gravy. :(

wilddemon

Likes Dirt
snoring noises

I'm guessing my question goes here, not knowing much about this stuff.
Last night after descending Mt Keira at up to 70kph my bike had three spells of making a loud snoring sound. Not the whistle part of the snore, the sawing logs part of the snore. Thinking my skewers had come loose or something I've pulled over and had a good look at the bike. Nothing is rubbing, the wheels feel solid (enough) and the sound never lasted more than 5 seconds. The last time it happened I tried not to freak out so I could determine where it was coming from, I think its the back. Is this the rear hub about to explode? Does anyone here know about such things?
I'm not sure if this is a stupid question, but hopefully I have posed it in such a stupid way that it qualifies.
Demon

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Postage

I bought one of those CD Mailer boxes from the Post Office. Can I just drop it in the post box, or do I have to return to the post office and pay more to send it, or put stamps on it. If so, how many stamps?

mars mtb

Likes Dirt
I'm guessing my question goes here, not knowing much about this stuff.
Last night after descending Mt Keira at up to 70kph my bike had three spells of making a loud snoring sound. Not the whistle part of the snore, the sawing logs part of the snore. Thinking my skewers had come loose or something I've pulled over and had a good look at the bike. Nothing is rubbing, the wheels feel solid (enough) and the sound never lasted more than 5 seconds. The last time it happened I tried not to freak out so I could determine where it was coming from, I think its the back. Is this the rear hub about to explode? Does anyone here know about such things?
I'm not sure if this is a stupid question, but hopefully I have posed it in such a stupid way that it qualifies.
Demon
Am guessing it is your rear hub in need of a service.

I will also take a wild guess and say they are mavic hubs such as on ksyrium range.

Crimson

Likes Dirt
I bought one of those CD Mailer boxes from the Post Office. Can I just drop it in the post box, or do I have to return to the post office and pay more to send it, or put stamps on it. If so, how many stamps?
Postage is not included in the purchase price.

wilddemon

Likes Dirt
You are a bloody legend

Am guessing it is your rear hub in need of a service.

I will also take a wild guess and say they are mavic hubs such as on ksyrium range.
You are dead on mars mtb. Its a mavic crossride, on my hybrid mtb. So tonight I took the freehub off, the pawls out, the dust shield, cleaned it right out. There wasn't much dirt / muck in there. Put it all back together. So, do I need to put new bearings in, or should I leave it to the professionals? This isn't the first time you've helped me out mars mtb...