The stupid questions thread.

0psi

Eats Squid
Anyone know anything about air conditioners?

My LG inverter aircon turned itself off last night and won't turn on again. The lights on the front are flashing, cooling 6 times and then heating 4 times. I suspect it may just need the filter cleaned but my googling has come to come to nothing.

I thought it might have just needed to cool down but it still wouldn't turn on this morning. Thought it might have an auto off thing if the remote batteries were going flat as there are no buttons on the unit itself but the batteries are fine.

So basically I'm trying to find out if that sequence of flashing lights just means the filter needs cleaning (which I can do myself) or is it a bigger problem which needs a professional person with knowledge and stuff.

Edit: Before you ask, I'm at work now so no I can't check the filter. I'd like to know if I should try to organise a fix it person now.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
I don't think it would pick up blocked filters. I cleaned my filters last night for the first time and it actually made it blow colder.
It could have tripped a pressure switch for over pressure if the outdoor unit is in the sun. Or a possible thermal switch.
I would try the old IT trick and turn it off at the wall/fuse box. Works with most things.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Is anyone here a member of Mona Vale or Newport SLSC? Looking to join a SLSC, mainly for the social side, to learn to surf, volunteer where I can and to train/get into competition. Which one should I join? Mona Vale's closest, but Newport's not much further. Open to other suggestions too, but those two are my favourite beaches, followed by Collaroy and Dee Why.

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
Computers dual screens

I bought a "Y" splitter VGA cable thinking that's all I needed to add a second monitor and split the displays between the 2 screens (e.g have emails open on the 1st screen and internet open on the 2nd screen), however all I get on 2nd monitor is a cloned image of the 1st screen.

When I go into display settings it is only detecting 1 monitor, even after I click "detect".

What am I doing wrong?

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
You need two video outputs from the computer for two monitors to be detected.
You are just splitting one signal. You need two outputs from the computer to separate monitors.
So if I have the 1st monitor connected from the VGA port (on monitor) to the VGA port on the computer, and have the 2nd screen connected from the VGA port (on monitor) and plugged into the DVI port using an adaptor it should work?

Last edited:

wombat

Lives in a hole
What video card? I'd doubt due monitors would work across analogue and digital outputs, usually need two digital: dual dvi, or dvi + HDMI.

Minlak

custom titis
So if I have the 1st monitor connected from the VGA port (on monitor) to the VGA port on the computer, and have the 2nd screen connected from the VGA port (on monitor) and plugged into the DVI port using an adaptor it should work?
If you have a VGA cable connected to monitor 1 and then use a DVI - VGA adapter from the video card into the second monitors VGA and check your settngs in widows are not set to mirror mode you should be able to extend the desktop and use the monitors as one big desktop display. You will get the taskbar etc only on the primary monitor though.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Can someone put into simple terms why rappers seem to dislike Ronald Regan so much?
- he was a bad man.
- he was a bad president.

Need more detail?

There was a crack and cocaine epidemic during his term of office that plagued the poor black communities of major cities in the states. There is reasonable argument that the raegan administration was involved in making it happen. The cash raised was used to fund anti-communist activities (militias, dictators, coups etc). Crack is a fairly nasty drug. Ronnie became the figurehead of corruption in government. It didn't help that the CIA were the tool of his vice president and were the co-ordinators of said activities. Or so the theories go. The Iran-Contras affair is a good example.

Raeganomics would be reason enough.

And censorship/oppression of rap music. Look at 2 live crew releases for the late 80s in particular. Banned albums, arrests and fines etc.
There are probably a bunch of other reasons as well. They are just the ones that come quickly to mind. The first Ice-T album has a great cameo from Ronnie calling up the radio to request and Ice-T track. In those days Ice did most of the extra voices on his albums.

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How do food manufacturers ensure consistency in the Scoville Rating for their products? A lot of foods are available in Mild Medium and Hot varieties. How do they offer consistency to consumers?