The stupid questions thread.

safreek

OK. Being Methuselah and such I have no idea what the whack is with eBay auctions.
It appears that I have purchased a bike, throughout the auction I have been trying to contact him, auction finished 3 days ago, still trying to contact, no go. I was going to pick up the bike and pay him then, seems a reasonable idea.
Now eBay is hassling me to pay a person whom will not respond to my emails,
I guess the question I am asking is, is it normal to pay someone without pick up details and anyway the eBay site won't let me pay
Am I now a dodgy user because I can't pay this person in any way even though I have the cash
It has monsters so it is all a bit disappointing.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
You pay through PayPal. Then if Tue gear doesn't turn up you tell PayPal. They turn get your cash back for you through EBay's buyer protection. Roughly. Unlikely you can collect the item as well.

What kind of history does the vendor have? Strange that they would t reply to your questions.

safreek

You pay through PayPal. Then if Tue gear doesn't turn up you tell PayPal. They turn get your cash back for you through EBay's buyer protection. Roughly. Unlikely you can collect the item as well.

What kind of history does the vendor have? Strange that they would t reply to your questions.
The fella said in the ad pickup only, its a complete bike.
Just seems a bit strange to pay through PayPal when picking it up from the owner.
Would PayPal sort.me if he didn't contact me about pick up, doesn't it need to be posted to a certain address for protection

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I don't know about the finer details. I've only used eBay to buy from American retailers. EBay are pretty strict on paying through PayPal, claiming it protects you. I'm sure it is about grafting on the exchange rate and micro interest from cash holding.

bjhall78

Likes Bikes
Don't pay him Paypal or bank transfer. Wait a few days email again. If no response. Request to cancel the transaction. Sus seller.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

safreek

Don't pay him Paypal or bank transfer. Wait a few days email again. If no response. Request to cancel the transaction. Sus seller.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Yeah, bloke said in the ad thet he wouldn't be back til the 3rd, still would of expected an email in this day and age. The eBay messages keep threatening me with bad reviews ( please love me ) which I don't want

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Yeah, bloke said in the ad thet he wouldn't be back til the 3rd, still would of expected an email in this day and age. The eBay messages keep threatening me with bad reviews ( please love me ) which I don't want
What a shit cunt. He could've timed the auction to end when he was available to fulfil his end of the bargain. I say burn him!

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Have used eBay for at least 15 years here as a buyer and seller, couple thousand transactions under my belt.

Wait it out. Ebay will not do anything to you unless the seller files a "non paying" complaint, and if he is away, just wait till he's back and does communicate with you. Lots of people still only use a computer for eBay and can't work out how to use a smart phone for email/eBay, etc.

Ebay owns Paypal, eBay are greedy mofos who want everything. Pay by cash on pickup is fine.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
FFS. If he said he was going away until the third stop being a dick and wait till he gets back. Sounds like he communicated to me.

safreek

FFS. If he said he was going away until the third stop being a dick and wait till he gets back. Sounds like he communicated to me.
It isn't the fact that he won't answer emails, although in this day and age it wouldn't be too hard to send a one line email to confirm its all good. My main drama is eBay making threats to.make me a shitty buyer.
I fully realised that pick up wouldn't.be until.the third

safreek

Fuck it, so I'm a dick for trying to get info on something I have never used. You must be a legend who knows all, I have never mentioned the.persons name, never mentioned what type of bike, never bagged the seller but I'm a dick.
You sir are a dick of bigger proportions than john Holmes's member. Your input achieved absolutely nothing.other than show what a monumental cock you are.

safreek

Have used eBay for at least 15 years here as a buyer and seller, couple thousand transactions under my belt.

Wait it out. Ebay will not do anything to you unless the seller files a "non paying" complaint, and if he is away, just wait till he's back and does communicate with you. Lots of people still only use a computer for eBay and can't work out how to use a smart phone for email/eBay, etc.

Ebay owns Paypal, eBay are greedy mofos who want everything. Pay by cash on pickup is fine.
All good it seems, bloke had been out of reception range. As it is in brissie I have a non biking friend pick it up tonight (yes I have a friend )
I guess I have to hope for best, lucky dip.
Will this be 500 down the drain and a fuckwit confession or a bargain that I will.pat myself on the back for,
We shall have to wait a week or so to.find out

climberman

Likes Dirt
Ok this is probably a stupid question but this seems the place for them.....

Looking at multi tools, and all the ones I’ve seen with a chain breaker are for 10 speed at the highest. I’m running 12, and my lady 11. What’s the actual difference for a field repair? Are non-11 or 12 specific multitools useless? And if so, who TF actually makes a 12 or 11 speed chain breaker multitoo!? Cheers!

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes

Looking at multi tools, and all the ones I’ve seen with a chain breaker are for 10 speed at the highest. I’m running 12, and my lady 11. What’s the actual difference for a field repair? Are non-11 or 12 specific multitools useless? And if so, who TF actually makes a 12 or 11 speed chain breaker multitoo!? Cheers!
10 speed chainbreaker will work with higher speed chains just fine. The higher speed chains are actually narrower, so the pin on the chainbreaker will be more than long enough.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Minlak

custom titis
Exactly the place for them hence the title name. I have a Multi Tool with a Chain Breaker its the same one for the last 5 years and I use it on every chain 11spd and 12spd never had an issue. I bought it as my first bike didn't have a qik link.

climberman

Likes Dirt
Thanks all!! Will apply use of chain breaker if and when required :)

DalesCannon - yeah running QL but sometimes ifna chain does break some link fandangling is required :)

Calvin27

Eats Squid
How does one remove the sticker decals on rims. I bought those cheap tubeless wheels as a beater set from cycling deal and it looks like it's a commercial agreement where they have to remove stickers or something. Anyway stickers are not there, but the glue residue is. Gonna try WD40, citrus degreaser and normal degreaser? Anyone know what to use?