The stupid questions thread.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I used to use "parrot beak" type cable cutters for a while, which wrap around the cable/hose as they cut, so give a cleaner edge, but are still a bit messy with kevlar-wrapped hose. I now have a proper razor bade-type hose cutter, which is fast, clean and awesome.

The cutting guide supplied with the Shimano brake sets is two yellow plastic blocks with a channel along one face. Pop them on the hose, clamp in a vice at the appropriate spot & whip through with your Very Sharp Blade where the hose exits the blocks.

I do indeed have a set of old Shimano M485 brakes on long-term bench test with different fluids; one at least still has Magura juice in it, and does not appear to have blown its seals as a result, so I think it's safe to say that Magura stuff is fine. Can't recall what's in the other one, whether it's a control with Shimano oil, or something else. I don't think I've tried baby oil yet (how do they extract it from babies??), so might have to give that a shot.
Umm I know Im going to get a hiding for saying this but what's wrong with a cable cutter like a Parktool cn-10?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Umm I know Im going to get a hiding for saying this but what's wrong with a cable cutter like a Parktool cn-10?
AKA a parrot-beak type. See first sentence in the post you quoted.... Acceptable BUT can leave hairy, scruffy ends with kevlar/other braid-reinforced hoses, plus the potential for off-square cutting, both of which can affect the seal when everything is hooked up. That said, I'd take that type of cutter over a standard straight-bladed side cutter every time.

moorey

call me Mia
Yep, abit of brake cleaner and a rub down with a scotch bad and happy days.
No...no scrubbing needed. Just a good clean of if you think there’s a chance they aren’t squeaky clean. (Metho/isopropyl)

All rotors aren’t created equal though. What you using?

safreek

No...no scrubbing needed. Just a good clean of if you think there’s a chance they aren’t squeaky clean. (Metho/isopropyl)

All rotors aren’t created equal though. What you using?
I have no idea what type of rotor, probably some type of crap one, shall check in the morning, don't tell me to get new rotors, budget does not go that far

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
she’ll be fine. Cleanin the rotors is more a precaution to stop any potential pad contamination, chances are there sweet as is

My el cheapo shimano jobies do just fine. No different on local trails to the icetech shimano rotors on the xc bike I have.

If you feel you need more power, which I doubt, pick up some sintered pads for them come new pad time.

moorey

call me Mia
I have no idea what type of rotor, probably some type of crap one, shall check in the morning, don't tell me to get new rotors, budget does not go that far
OK.

In my experience, more just came down to noise. Cheaper Clarks and old Hayes tended to squeal a bit.

Fruitbat

Likes Dirt
I use the cheap version of this cutter that doesn't have a rachet. Ran the oilstone over the edge for razor sharpness and never damaged a hose since.
I was originally planning to do a bit of a hack and re-engineer it by cutting and shutting in yellow clampy thing to support half the circumference of the hose but never needed to in the end.

Attachments

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I've been putting off trimming my brake lines and cutting down the stem since I built my bike.

It looks a bit dorky but so do I
Just tell everyone you rip mad x-ups and you'll justify both the higher stem position and longer cables. Nobody will ever ask for proof either so you'll be safe.

The cutting guide supplied with the Shimano brake sets is two yellow plastic blocks with a channel along one face.
That being the 2 yellow blocks that we also hold the hose with while punching in the spike?

Flow-Rider

Burner
It's not the very end of the brake hose that does the sealing, it's the compression of the olive to the brake handle bore and compression of the hose to the hose barb, When you use side cutters it's a no-brainier that they don't cut exact parallel to the handle so you need to turn them a bit to have a 90 degree cut. Some other brands of brakes have a small o-ring in end of the barb but still require compression from the olive to seal the hose.

Last edited:

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
^the easiest thing to use.

But if you already have good sidecutters.......... good enough for hydraulic lines on machines much more expensive than brakes, good enuf for my bike.

Flow-Rider

Burner
^the easiest thing to use.

But if you already have good sidecutters.......... good enough for hydraulic lines on machines much more expensive than brakes, good enuf for my bike.
My brakes and thousands of hoses that I've cut over the years have never leaked and it's actually worse using a blade because you have more chance of slicing your finger open and second, not having a clean cut and then having a small part of the hose fall in internally. I've seen very small bits of hose cause havoc many times where people haven't been careful to do a clean cut.