The stupid questions thread.

Stoopid question

If I am sposed to give 4weeks notice at work and I only give 2 weeks, I recall that they can take the remaining two weeks from my annual leave.

Is this correct ?

scblack

Leucocholic
Stoopid question

If I am sposed to give 4weeks notice at work and I only give 2 weeks, I recall that they can take the remaining two weeks from my annual leave.

Is this correct ?
If you are supposed to give 4weeks notice, and don’t turn up the last two, they can simply deduct it from you. They may Choose to deduct that from leave, if you have it, but they don’t have to.

In reality, what else are they gunna do?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
One hand washes the other...some places I've worked they remind you that there is a trial period and it is best not to leave your other employment too soon...

One hand washes the other...some places I've worked they remind you that there is a trial period and it is best not to leave your other employment too soon...
Really, I've always been subject to a probationary period of 6 months but you are always expected to resign when you sign an offer for a new gig

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
I've always had a six month probationary, but it normally gets forgotten after 3 weeks when they realise I know more about the job than they do

Thats a horrible way to start a new job
You mean with a probationary period ? Pretty standard practice in my experience. Every job I've had has had a probationary period, even internal transfers.

Doesn't mean much, anyone can get rissoled at any time if that's how they feel. Seen it happen. And then there is virtual rissoling ala Office Space.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
No a probation is normal and makes sense, but getting told “dont bother quitting your other job, you probably wont last here” is a terrible way to start in a new company. What a shit way to go to work. Fuck that, find somewhere that appreciates you being there.

If their aren’t confident enough in your abilities to take you on fully, why give you the probation period in the first place?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Oh that, I've never heard of that happening. I'm not sure how you can have two full time gigs at the same time.
I thought it was wierd too, but...always cruised through the probation and it was easy enough in one case to take long term leave without pay. Other times I've just burnt bridges and rolled on. I think it was a tactic for scaring people at the outset.