The stupid questions thread.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
^ gold!

So...it seems every crank is 11 speed specific...is this bullshit? For example can I buy an 11 speed shimano crank, whack on a generic chain ring, and go for it with a 10 speed set up? Is there something I don't understand here?

jasco

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Pretty much, as long as the chainline suits the rear axle, there shouldn't be anything to it.
I think the Eagle chains might not play nice with non-12speed compatible chainrings, but that's different from 9-10-11 compatability.
My understanding is the width saving in the chain comes from the outer plates thickness and internal dims and rollers are the same.

But whatever the reason, I've run eagle on 11 speed rings, no dramas.

Reactions: Zaf

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
My understanding is the width saving in the chain comes from the outer plates thickness and internal dims and rollers are the same.
Your understanding would be wrong; every part of the chain gets narrower once you go more than 9-sp. However there's enough tolerance in chainring tooth thickness to ensure they're not particularly fussy. N/w rings didn't become A Thing until the advent of 11-sp, so by default they're pretty much all going to be designed for 11-sp. chains, so by extension will suit the sligjhtly wider 10, 9 & 8-sp.chains.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Thanks @Duckmeister. Am I correct then in assuming that there isn't any spacing differences in the crank design to deliver a slightly different chain alignment that will only function with 11speed set ups?

Minlak

custom titis
Thanks @Duckmeister. Am I correct then in assuming that there isn't any spacing differences in the crank design to deliver a slightly different chain alignment that will only function with 11speed set ups?
There is no difference in the cranks it’s is the chainring itself that takes care of any change.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
There is no difference in the cranks it’s is the chainring itself that takes care of any change.
Excellent. This is what I thought, but didn't want to burn up cash to discover I'd been "boosted" by a few mm of betterererererness.

Thanks all.

Minlak

custom titis
Excellent. This is what I thought, but didn't want to burn up cash to discover I'd been "boosted" by a few mm of betterererererness.

Thanks all.
I would strongly suggest waiting for confirmation. I just know that last 2 sets of cranks I bought they swapped out the chainring from the “boost” branded box to a non boost chainring. :)

The direct mount chainrings I have here are either 6mm non boost or 3mm boost on the actual chainring

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I would strongly suggest waiting for confirmation. I just know that last 2 sets of cranks I bought they swapped out the chainring from the “boost” branded box to a non boost chainring. :)

The direct mount chainrings I have here are either 6mm non boost or 3mm boost on the actual chainring
Wait? I've already purchased 3 new ones and had your name and likeness engraved on each of them. You can't do this to me now!!!

Minlak

custom titis
Wait? I've already purchased 3 new ones and had your name and likeness engraved on each of them. You can't do this to me now!!!
I just can handle the responsibility or being right.

Anyway.......
It’s ok it will go along nicely with your tattoo of me on your penis.