The stupid questions thread.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Lots of guys in the UK drop Duratecs in to replace the Corollas and B series engines. NA 2.3s making 350bhp. And weighing 50 plus kg less.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
How fast are decent e-mtb's uphill?

Good friend of mine that I haven't seen in years is in town and organising a group mtb ride. Turns out I'll be the only one not on an e-mtb. Track has some significant climbs and I'm not in great shape - have a feeling it might be near on pointless me joining in.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes

Good friend of mine that I haven't seen in years is in town and organising a group mtb ride. Turns out I'll be the only one not on an e-mtb. Track has some significant climbs and I'm not in great shape - have a feeling it might be near on pointless me joining in.
You will probably get smashed. +250 watts will get you up a hill pretty smartly.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member

Sounds like a job for several pointy sticks.

Flow-Rider

Burner

Depends on how fast the ebikes are and how fit the other riders are.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Is the plastic preload thing on Shimano hollowtech cranks important? Doing last minute build from scratch for a 6am ride and realise the second hand cranks I bought a few years ago didn't come with one.. I've used a wood working clamp to pull together and tightened it all up - doesn't seem to be any play. Am I in danger of having them fall off at an in opportune moment?

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Nope, no danger. Just push it on 'ard & do up the opposing bolts.

That little black thing has a tiny stopper preventing the crank from creeping off anyway.

Tim_the_Clyde

Likes Dirt
Only preloads bearings. The bolts on the crank arm hold it together.

Same deal as a headset top cap loads bearings and stem does the job of holding it all in together.

Imagine some weight weenies take it off with there stem caps!

Just make sure your clamp loads the bearings correctly or you will get play or binding. Probably not an issue for one ride?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
That little black thing has a tiny stopper preventing the crank from creeping off anyway.
I haven't come across a second hand set that hasn't had the little pin broken off, seems that most people forget it's there and just loosen the pinch bolts enough to get the crank arm off rather than taking that one bolt out and swinging it out of the way.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
^ I've actually found that if that tensioner comes loose the crank can develop a little play. This may depend on what/how you are riding. I was just riding to the shops...

You can buy aluminium replacements from token for about $10 if you want peace of mind.