The stupid questions thread.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Alright so one of the high beam bulbs on my car blew still with one it's ok.

But instead of just replacing the halogen bulb i'm wondering about just replacing the whole headlight system with an aftermarket HID/LED.

Now I run an 03 camry so is it even possible to get an ADR approved LED/HID kit for it?

I know there's lots of ADR non compliant kits out but I don't know if you'd get into trouble with the police for it.

Plus i've been the victim quite a fair bit of those non ADR compliant HID/LED kits and it isn't nice.
Is it worth it on an 03 Camry? Put a set of those 80% extra bulbs in and spend the money on your bike? Even a light bar might be easier..

scblack

Leucocholic
Is it worth it on an 03 Camry? Put a set of those 80% extra bulbs in and spend the money on your bike? Even a light bar might be easier..
Agreed, just get an LED globe from Ebay or Aliexpress. Its what I did with my 03 Ford Escape recently.

Skydome

What's invisible and smells like hay?
never really thought of a light bar.

Are they easy to install if you don't have a bullbar or something?

Another would be wiring. Unless it's possible to use the wiring from the blown high beam bulb or something idk?

Last edited:

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I am going to fit Philips whitevision globes in the Ni-san which has the worst lights I have seen for a while. Fitted same to #2's 80 and they made a huge difference.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
never really thought of a light bar.

Are they easy to install if you don't have a bullbar or something?

Another would be wiring. Unless it's possible to use the wiring from the blown high beam bulb or something idk?
Yes, you can get an alloy mount that attaches to your numberplate for a small/light weight light bar. Try Repco/SuperCheap/similar.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
I am going to fit Philips whitevision globes in the Ni-san which has the worst lights I have seen for a while. Fitted same to #2's 80 and they made a huge difference.
How long have they lasted? The Colorado is constantly blowing globes, generally the night before we take it interstate. I think it's something to do with the vibration.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
How long have they lasted? The Colorado is constantly blowing globes, generally the night before we take it interstate. I think it's something to do with the vibration.
Philips allege 400 hours of life. I had a similar product in my old XR6T and could barely get a year out of them. Supposedly that was common. Biggest pain was having to dislocate both elbows and one side of your scrotum to fit the bulbs. I will see how they go. At least in the Mazda you just remove the inner guard and you can reach all the gizzards.

Cannot recall having an issue with the standard globes in the Colorado we had and the 80 was ok though that could be because no light was making it out the front. Will have to see. Aftermarket globes will not last as long as the factory ones because they are running higher outputs. Maybe you have an issue with the connections vibrating loose and causing over current spikes?

Flow-Rider

Burner
Make sure your alternator isn't over charging but some of the globes around these days are total shit, I've got a stash of old Bosch tail light globes because I found the new ones only last about a year on my 4wd. A mate installed LED globes in the tail lights when he borrowed it and they all slowly stopped working with in a few months from the vibrations of the Diesel.

Skydome

would it be possible at all to replace the wiring from the high beam bulb into the bar?

My probably wrong assumption is that it would be connected to the light switch on the steering wheel instead of having a separate switch inside for it right?

Basically what i'm hoping is possible is to be able just pull the wiring from the high beam wiring and just dump it into the light bar so I don't have to go around figuring out how to get the switch (If the LB has it running into the car and I can just use the switch for high beams as normal from the steering wheel).

stirk

Burner
@Skydome not sure why you'd want to replace highbeam bulbs with a light bar. But...I'd trigger the lightbars own separate relay from the highbeam switch. I think legally you need them on the same switch as highbeam, i.e they both need to come on and off together.

Best keep the lightbar on its own loom.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
@Skydome not sure why you'd want to replace highbeam bulbs with a light bar. But...I'd trigger the lightbars own separate relay from the highbeam switch. I think legally you need them on the same switch as highbeam, i.e they both need to come on and off together.

Yeah I'm with Stirk. Separate loom but hooked into your high beam. Would they have the throw of a high beam bulb? I don't know as I don't have any.

Skydome

My main hope was to not have to do heaps of wiring.

I'd like the on/off operation of the bar to be linked with the light switch on the steering wheel rather than having to figure out how to safely get a separate switch into the car.

But is it easy to put it into the high beam? Or is it pretty much plug'n'plany?

https://www.ebay.com.au/p/STEDI-H4-Piggy-Back-Adapter/5026940015?iid=122799354152 would something like this make the process easier?

Last edited:

stirk

Burner
I think a common way to do it would be to activate the lightbar's relay from the positive wire going to the high beam globe which I think that adapted does.

You may even gat that adaptor in your lightbar kit if you buy from stedi

It's gotta be said putting a lightbar on an old Camry is like lipstick on a pig...

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
My main hope was to not have to do heaps of wiring....
It is the 'heaps of wiring' that will make it reliable.
If you Jimmy-rig something without a relay or without proper switching logic it will fail.
Best case is blown fuses, worst case could be under bonnet fire.

Two simple things I did to my old ute that made the lights significantly better :

1. Buy a headlight restore kit and polish the living jesus out of the old faded poly carb lenses.

2. Change out the old globes for 30% better halogens. (cheap upgrade).

Neither of these require a crash course in auto electrics

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk