The stupid questions thread.

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
Depends on your cassette. A lot of older 8 speeds could be dismantled, but not so much with newer stuff.

Also much better if you use a proper single speed cog. Unless you have a steel freehub, the cog will eat into the freehub, and the teeth on a cassette cog are shorter and ramped so won't hold a chain as well.

And I've found the spring loaded tensioners far more reliable than static ones. Could just be me, but I've found the static ones just don't hold the tension right and can loosen off where springy ones adjust themselves.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk
That was everything I needed to know. Cheers mate.

What size do you want? I have a few, and most of those parts.
I'm not sure tbh. That was why I wanted to play with my cassette. Just figured 16 was too big? As usual, I have no idea ....
I think I'll make the hardtail SS. It looks right with no mech and shifter, and I have new 8 & 9 sp chains already. And it seems to be a cheaper option.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
I'm not sure tbh. That was why I wanted to play with my cassette. Just figured 16 was too big? As usual, I have no idea ....
I think I'll make the hardtail SS. It looks right with no mech and shifter, and I have new 8 & 9 sp chains already. And it seems to be a cheaper option.
yep 8/9 spd chains best for ss setup, 16t is too sml fo the rear, most run around 32 front 19 rear, +/- on the rear depending on flat/hilly/big quads

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
yep 8/9 spd chains best for ss setup, 16t is too sml fo the rear, most run around 32 front 19 rear, +/- on the rear depending on flat/hilly/big quads
Flat mostly, puny quads .... cheers. Was thinking more BMX sprintable than comfort uphill for this. I like to stand and pump. A dog will be pulling it most of the time. Maybe 16 will be a good starter.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
That was everything I needed to know. Cheers mate.

If it’s a 26” wheel bike then 32/16 should be perfect.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Hey mate, where did you get the service kit from? Do they also have Fox kits.
Cyclinic on the advice of other Burners. Prices were pretty much the same as anywhere else, with the backup of them actually reading the notes you put with your order and checking if you have the kit for you. Fast too, ordered them Australia Day weekend, so they were packed and sent Tuesday and arrived in Mildura Friday morning. They must know someone in Auspost

Good boy George. Never half do a job.
Yeah, I know, the thought was to preserve small bump by trying to avoid the new tight seals. A week of dirt commuting should sort that though

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Gutter hucks it is!
Easy tiger! You'll be wanting 8 big ones front and rear for that.

With all the standards for bikes being changed back and forward up and down, when will ~8 inches no longer be the standard for dh travel? What will be next?

And when is 20mm making a come back???