The stupid questions thread.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
How do you mean a little? Like the same sort of squirt you'd use in the sink? Or much less?

After a few months with no dishwasher I'm very happy to be home and using it again. I have plenty of correct stuff, but a curious unscientific mind.
Laundry not dish detergent

tobbogonist

a registered member
So what happens if I put normal dishwashing liquid in the dishwashing machine?
Years ago, first office job. There was a washing machine roster, we took turns stacking and turning on at the end of the day.
I'd never used a dish washer before.
Come my turn, in goes the dishes, in goes a healthy spurt of dishwashing liquid. I then see the little compartment thing in the door and fill that with liquid for good measure.
Next morning kitchen is a sinlge room full to the roof with bubbles and i am promptly relocated from the dish washing machine roster to folding of cheques.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Don't think so, I think it just makes a big mess. I think the bubbles pushed their way out past the door seals. Maybe if it's a really well sealed unit bad things could happen?

You're remaining very coy about your intentions...

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Don't think so, I think it just makes a big mess.You're remaining very coy about your intentions...
No intentions and no confessions. I was just curious if it worked or not? Now it seems I know it isn't a functional solution to running out of powder but could make a great prank.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
A couple of workmates rented a house in central Q with a dishwasher. No instructions and during the first week they filled the dispenser with normal dish washing detergent and set the machine off before heading out. They came home to a foam monster emerging from beneath the front door and the front yard and neighbour's yards were covered in foam detritus. The kitchen was about 1m deep in foam and several rooms had up to 500mm of foam on the floor. Took them a long time to clean up the evidence.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Poodle. No damage will result to the machine. Dishwasher products are quite aggressive, rather alkaline.

The soap used in the sink is very mild, less effective in the dishwasher but won’t cause any damage. The pump on every cycle runs dry, so a foamy mess won’t be a problem. Possible the bubbles burning on the heater element might stink??? Regardless, it’s been done here too by accident.

Flow-Rider

Burner
What are people's thoughts on this ?

So today on my way home after my ride I decided to grab an iced Mocha from the local drive through coffee shop, as I pulled up to the window to pay I happen to look across into the shop and I see this scraggly unkept young worker making some type of tea beverage with a tea bag, no gloves on the hands, it poured some type of liquid into a steel mixing cup and shakes it around, then to my horror and dismay, sticks its bare hands into the cup to remove the tea bag with the complete string and paper puller that was submerged into whatever the hell it was making.

I'm not one to usually judge people by looks but this is scraggly, unhygienic and dirty at the best of times and it's worse in these times of covid crap. When I got home I felt so sick in the guts after seeing what I did and just threw my Mocha in the bin, even though another worker in the shop made it.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
It may surprise you to know that nsw food safety guidelines declare properly washed hands to be safer than gloves. A lot of people put gloves on and then become complacent about hygeine because "I'm wearing a glove". In contrast most people are aware and responsible when working commando. There aren't many restaurants with gloves up chefs.

Obviously this isn't a blanket "don't worry about it" and I have worked with some absolute shockers.

Also in the current covid world things are a bit different and gloves are kind of everywhere. But so is sanitiser and soap. My hands are all torn up from constant cleaning.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
The look is probably far worse than the crime. Sounds like said person was potentially not a front of house server, and instead could've been someone out the back doing to dishes or the like where there's no need to be particularly proud about your appearance. Also how do you know this person wasn't just making a drink for themselves? If I was a dish pig, I'd be stripping of my gloves to make myself a cuppa, as doing it with them on is going to result in an interesting tasting cup of tea at the least. Lastly as Poodle has pointed out, gloves don't automatically equal hygiene.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
It may surprise you to know that nsw food safety guidelines declare properly washed hands to be safer than gloves. A lot of people put gloves on and then become complacent about hygeine because "I'm wearing a glove". In contrast most people are aware and responsible when working commando. There aren't many restaurants with gloves up chefs.

Also in the current covid world things are a bit different and gloves are kind of everywhere. But so is sanitiser and soap. My hands are all torn up from constant cleaning.
so true, and soap/detergent is actually more effective than hand sanitiser at killing the virus, cheaper also

Flow-Rider

Burner

Obviously this isn't a blanket "don't worry about it" and I have worked with some absolute shockers.

Surely it isn't too hard to use a spoon rather than washing your fingernails in someone's beverage. I've never worked in the food industry but I would imagine preparing food before it is cooked is a bit different, as heat would kill off most of the germs.

Flow-Rider

Burner
The look is probably far worse than the crime. Sounds like said person was potentially not a front of house server, and instead could've been someone out the back doing to dishes or the like where there's no need to be particularly proud about your appearance. Also how do you know this person wasn't just making a drink for themselves? If I was a dish pig, I'd be stripping of my gloves to make myself a cuppa, as doing it with them on is going to result in an interesting tasting cup of tea at the least. Lastly as Poodle has pointed out, gloves don't automatically equal hygiene.
Handed it to a customer while I watched.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
so true, and soap/detergent is actually more effective than hand sanitiser at killing the virus, cheaper also
It is my casual observation that Australians are pigs when it comes to hand hygeine, so I am taking the sanitiser craze as a minor lift on spirits. I hope that moving forward there is a wider awareness of clean hands, particularly amongst men who think the work wants to touch their penis.