The stupid questions thread.

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sram 12 spd chain with shimano 12spd drive train, yay or nay?

Shimano cassette with GX crankset yay or nay?

Thinking it might to go for commonality across the fleet...

moorey

call me Mia
Sram 12 spd chain with shimano 12spd drive train, yay or nay?

Shimano cassette with GX crankset yay or nay?

Thinking it might to go for commonality across the fleet...
Shimano 12sp ring and chain seem only compatible with each other from my research a few months ago. I wanted 11sp on the new shimano DM cranks, so I fitted Bergtec DM ring, which plays nice with 11sp chain.
The crank/cassette is fine.

I prefer pretty much all shimano drivetrain, other than an XD cassette. I’m only talking 11sp here though. I’m not interested in 12sp.

Last edited:

slowmick

38-39"
Yeah, that wouldn't be a good feeling!

Makes me laugh though how they always list the model of plane, but never the engine manufacturer/model... Boeing cops it for something either the engine manufacturer or maintenance squad are responsible for!
I used to work for Carrier when it was part of United technologies (which included Pratt & Whtney and Sikorski). Did a 5 day quality course which included quality leaders form all of the companies. Was surprised to learn the acceptable percentage of inflight shut downs from Pratt & Whitney...

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Shimano 12sp ring and chain seem only compatible with each other from my research a few months ago. I wanted 11sp on the new shimano DM cranks, so I fitted Bergtec DM ring, which plays nice with 11sp chain.
The crank/cassette is fine.
From some of the setups I've seen through work, you can run other chains on a Shimano ring, although the grip on the teeth may be less than optimal. But you can't run a Shimano chain on a ring that isn't specifically designed for it.

moorey

call me Mia
From some of the setups I've seen through work, you can run other chains on a Shimano ring, although the grip on the teeth may be less than optimal. But you can't run a Shimano chain on a ring that isn't specifically designed for it.
What I’m hearing is, cuss 12sp.

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
Ok... if there is, what is the difference between Rockshox Lyrik Charger 2 vs 2.1 RCT3? (Other than the extra 0.1).

And how can you tell which one you have? I can't use the serial number on the RS website as the CSU is a replacement.

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Ok... if there is, what is the difference between Rockshox Lyrik Charger 2 vs 2.1 RCT3? (Other than the extra 0.1).

And how can you tell which one you have? I can't use the serial number on the RS website as the CSU is a replacement.
It's all way fancier than anything I have, so I can't answer you based on experience.
This link might help:

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
There is loads of this Charger stuff on MTBR to sift through. To summarise what I've seen, the Charger 2 is reported to have not so great LSC nor a wide range of LSC tuning available while the 2.1 fixed it. I have a 2 and it feels fine to me but don't have 2.1 to compare.

That is a good question. I don't know how you can visually pick the 2 and 2.1 apart if you don't have the RS Part ID handy. They sure look the same. I'd guess you would have to pull it apart and know where the differences are.

moorey

call me Mia
What did those extra 4 teeth do to you. Not good shifting or you grew some track thighs and can climb and outrun anything now?
It did compromise my shifting slightly, but just found I generally didn’t need them for my riding. Will bang one back on for TransTas.