The stupid questions thread.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
OK one more -

Is it normal to be able to roll the wheel a few degrees when locking the back brake?

The rotor and cassette don't move but the wheel itself does for a few centimetres.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
The shit that gets me is people dumping XX1 Eagle... which is a fckn awesome drivetrain, same as X01 Eagle. For AXS GX !!!!

Obviously AXS GX is a shit load better than mech GX as thats just shit after 6 months with sloppiness.

I absolutely hate SRAM 12 apart from XX1/X01 where they have really done their best, then for the lower stuff, left out bushes, bearings ect...

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
What is this sitting on the end of the hub axle?

It has threads but simply pops off
Was going to say it was protecting the threads...

Looks like a truncated edge on the inside piece, is the cap chamfered also ?

Never seen this before, ever.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
There is a fare bit of play if they're center-lock brakes.
Not if they're tightened properly.

Most brakes will allow the pads to "float" in the caliper a little bit, so that will allow a small amount of back & forward movement of the wheel through the brake. However if the rotor is not moving in the brake, the ONLY possibility is that the bolts or lockring are not tight enough.

Last edited:

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not if they're tightened properly.

Most brakes will allow the pads to "float" in the caliper a little bit, so that will allow a small amount of back & forward movement of the wheel through the brake. However if the rotor is not moving in the brake, the ONLY possibility is that the bolts or lockring are not tight enough.
Really? I've never got mine tight enough to stop all movement if you rock back and forward. And has been the same across two different wheelsets.
I better hit the kettle bells a bit harder!

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Yep, lean on 'em harder. All of my C'lock wheelsets, and most I see through the workshop are rock solid in their rotor mounting. On the flip side, I get loose 6-bolt through the workshop at least once a week.