The Tool Thread

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Although my business runs its own in-house machine shop, I seldom get any time to do stuff for myself. Anyway, to cut a long story short, I'm going to try to take a bit of time every day to build some stuff that makes my life a little easier. Sometimes, that's going to be bike related tools (when the planets align and it makes sense).

Here's a case in point. I had to machine some parts out of brass rod on our vertical machining center using the 3-jaw chuck. Although these adapters could be easily made on the lathe, I don't have a CNC lathe, so making them on the VMC takes less of my time (particularly if the VMC's already setup for the job). These adapters allow me to use my wheel building stand with through axle hubs. I made some for 15mm (front) and 12mm (rear).

Time for a completely new trueing stand with your machine instead of adapters.

Always the way with expensive machine time. A mate had four 5 axis machines in his care, all were running 24/7 and only when calibration and testing was needed could he get to “projects”

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
You blokes with access to lathes and good stuff ;)

Theres a bike shop, south of Adelaide, the old bloke has owned it forever, just him working there.

He has a set of machined discs, probably 8-10mm thick and approx 150mm round, one had a left hand pedal thread, the other a right hand pedal thread.

He said riding with a slightly bent pedal spindle will destroy ankles and knees, he screws the pedal into the disc and clamps the pedal in a vice... gives the disc a spin, if the spindle is even slightly bent it really gets a wonky wobble on.

Always wanted a set of those.

Though with more modern pedals now that have the 8mm hex screw, the same can be acheived by putting a straight cut down 8mm hex in a battery drill, hold the pedal in hand and spin that drill to speed, you'll know if the spindle is bent real quick.

Last edited:

link1896

Mr Greenfield
A mill is priceless in a workshop

When you don’t have the right O-Ring and don’t want to wait.......you machine the assembly so the oring groove isn’t as deep. Squaring up was tricky. The nitto outlets were at different depths of insertion and not square. Feeler gauges as shims saved the day yet again.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
...Feeler gauges as shims saved the day yet again...
Brilliant. Must remember that. I recently bought some metal foil assortments for this very purpose, but just using feeler gauges would probably have been cheaper and more readily available. The precision metal 'foils' (really shim stock) are the sort of stuff that is not easy to come by in Australia.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Brilliant. Must remember that. I recently bought some metal foil assortments for this very purpose, but just using feeler gauges would probably have been cheaper and more readily available. The precision metal 'foils' (really shim stock) are the sort of stuff that is not easy to come by in Australia.

I use them for tweaking the tool height in the lathe too. I should buy a quick change tool post but have lived this long shimming the tools to different heights depending on the cut needed.

$5.50 buck feeler gauge kits from China via eBay.

Feeler Gauge kits deliver a small area, your shim stock kit is a significantly bigger area.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Having a go at restoring my late Grandfather’s vice. He wasn’t really mechanically inclined but it’s nice to have something of his that I’ll find useful.

Pulled it and degreased it without any dramas. Still need to remove the jaw inserts (no chance with a broken right hand at the moment) and then get the paint off.
What’s the best way to clean up the slidy bits? Wet and dry?

ozzybmx

Does anyone here have any experience with a cheap eBay/Amazon Plasma Cutter ?

I have a few small jobs lately where it though I would like a plasma cutter and I was looking at trail tools a few days ago and thought my boys and I could make some as a project.

The steel is not an issue, I have free access off offcuts of 5mm-6mm steel plate that would do the job nicely.

6mm would be the thickest I need to cut.

ozzybmx

I have a Renegade RCUT 401 which I bought for about $500. It has been very good for the stuf I do.
Was going to go a bit cheaper than that, the ebay and Amazon basic ones are $250'ish.

I do have a small Michigan DC welder that works beautifully, I see Total Tools also do a similar Plasma -

To be honest, its more about the project of making stuff with my boys than the cost of buying.

I figured a $250 plasma would save a shit load of work with a grinder and jigsaw blades.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
It will. #1 wanted me to buy the $3k plasma his mate has. Crazy overkill for cutting plate and angle for brackets. Have a cordless bandsaw and it does a power of work too.

Minlak

custom titis
Was looking today at tool chests - like the idea of every tool having its place - not sure I can do it though - most of the quality sets are in excess of $1000 now - just would not use it enough to justify - guess I will probably just buy seperate ones that I want.
Looked at Kincrome mainly as I have a soft spot for them.
Did find that Kincrome now do a Supatools Premium set for about half the price - any reviews I could find though we’re not very flattering.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I need it to more portable as want to take it when I go camping or Bush - was concentrating on the ones that come with the tools
the credit cards going to look like a salad left out in the sun pretty quickly when you actually want quality. collect the tools you want, get them into tool rolls into a pelican case. much nicer.