The Tool Thread

ianganderton

Likes Dirt
~30 years of collecting tools so far.

A glance at the Allen key collection gives you a hint as to the extent. And these are just the sets I could put back together complete.

Only this morning, couldn't find a god damned 3mm Allen key.

Ha ha ha that’s a shit ton of allenkeys. Funny that there isn’t any of the one you need though. Typical

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Bondhus allen keys, Pedros Vise cassette pliers - banish those chunting chain whips straight to hell.
Park tool bike stand, Ice tools, x-tools, and a mix of other stuff like cable cutters, cable stretchers, torque wrench etc etc

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Best bike specific torque wrench I own for bike usage is this digital Bike Hand one. 200 bucks from cycling deal.

1.25-25Nm, a quick check with a few known weights at a known distance with the 1/4" drive head clamped in a vice shows 1-2% variation off reported values, more then suitable in my mind. Beeps and vibrates when it hits the torque target. Really handy, it works in both directions, so shows peak torque when undoing bolts, really nice to see where things were.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
I got a Bunnings gift voucher for a birthday and the person who gave it to me said “Got you a Bunnings voucher so you couldn’t spend it on your bike”.
Bought a sweet set of Wera Allen keys, which are amazing, and a set of cable cutters.

Massive win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
+1 for the Wera, they are awesome. Look great, feel great, are great.

scblack

Leucocholic
Bondhus for allen keys. Colnago branded torque wrench - seems accurate and is great to use. Kinchrome spanners and ratchet set. Stanley screwdriver set. Lots and lots of other random tools.

John U

MTB Precision
Bondhus for Allen keys. The three ended Park ones are alright too. Can anyone recommend a reasonably price bike too kit?
Id only gathered a few bike tools when I decided to go for the Park PK63 about 10 years ago. Wasn’t cheap. It has more than paid for itself now.
With more tools you’ll find you’ll be doing more of the work yourself.
I think today’s equivalent is the pk3.

Attachments

Miguel75

Likes Dirt
I love good tools and am really thinking of dropping some cash on a few Abbey Bike tools... I'm looking to get the crombie, chain whip and HAG... and a few extra bits. I know they're expensive though I figure a good tool will last. And I like the look of them.

Does anyone find a JIS screwdriver better than a standard PH? I think it works better when adjusting derailleur limit screws though maybe its just me...

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt

It took 2.5 years but this has all now been paid for by other people, and given me a decent pocket money surplus.....

Tools I'm most impressed by:
RWC Fork seal drivers - wow they work well
TS4 truing stand
PRS-3.2-2 repair stand (not shown)
Pretty much anything Park tool make is perfect. Some tools I have a cheapies since they rarely get used, but once I break one, I get the Park version.
Unior Bearing press kit
Topeak 4-80NM digital torque wrench
Not sure of the name but there are some aluminium fork spanners I got for like $50, use them instead of chamferless sockets

Ones I don't like
- The shimano bleed funnel - Keep having to replace due to the flimsy threads stripping
- Rockshox 'official" fork seal drivers - just not helpful at all
- Cheap multi-use circlip pliers (never again)
- My Xtools truing stand - worked ok if you didn't have the tyre on the rim.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
I love good tools and am really thinking of dropping some cash on a few Abbey Bike tools... I'm looking to get the crombie, chain whip and HAG... and a few extra bits. I know they're expensive though I figure a good tool will last. And I like the look of them.

Does anyone find a JIS screwdriver better than a standard PH? I think it works better when adjusting derailleur limit screws though maybe its just me...
Park do a version of the Crombie which is cheaper, the FR-5H, unless you are after the double sided version?
Also I have a set of CP-1 cassette pliers, they are much better than a chain whip.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
bondhus allen keys....... a couple have twisted pretty bad, and some have had to meet the bench grinder to grind away the rounded ends....... but they still work. I used to love the CRC $8 sets from konnect, but they stopped stocking them. I have some JBS t handled ones too but the handles are annoying so they don't get much of a go. I also tend to grind the balls off any hex key that comes my way, except the one for the bottle cage. I've had to retrieve 4 of the fuckers from cap head bolts once they've been snapped off, not worth the hassle imo.

The tools I'm most stoked on is my 1/2 drive repco socket set, complete with meter long breaker bar. It only gets used on the bike to remove fork caps, but damn i love me that socket set.

also the JBS 1/2" and 3/8" sets I have in the workshop are also pretty good, no plastic on the handles and solid. They've lasted 4 years as the workshop set, been covered in shit/paint/grease/submerged in water and keep on truckin.

My favourite tool though is my 1.5kg JBS hammer. God I love that thing. the paints gone, the handle is startin to split, but she still hits as hard as she did when I first got her.
pic's to come when I can finally get to the car

Not much of that is bike specific, but bike specific tools are pretty crap quality most of the time I've found. Park aren't all that, though the price tries to tell otherwise.

clockworked

Like an orange
my two favourite tools are the topeak ratchet rocket for on the bike adjustments, and my knipex pliers wrench.

They both get used much more than anything else