The Tool Thread

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Should not have read this thread. I feel the need to upgrade some of my gear.

My main go to is a Park Tools Allen Key set like:

It doesn't do everything, but beats looking for the right sized allen key in a box of them. Had it for too many years to mention and still the go to.

Edit: actually now I look at it, mine only has allen keys from 6mm down to tiny.

Shredden

Knows his goats
Know they aren't really bike specific tools but needed somewhere to brag ;)

Went a bit crazy on KC Tool the other day, picked up a set of Stahlwille spanners - 8 to 22mm. Dad has a set he got as a prize when he was an apprentice that are still pretty mint, and I'm trying to build a bit of a toolbox I'll have for life. So hopefully they are worth the outlay :)

Also got a set of 6 wood handled Felo screwdrivers, Philips 1, 2, 3 and some flat head ones, as well as a mini plastic one with a bit that flips around. Went wood handle because I hate how the ones with rubber inlays rot out after a few years. And I like the look, kinda unique. Hopefully they last. Don't have a pic but they look like this:

Few more months and I'll get a big socket set covering 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 inch. Prefer 6 point sockets over 12 point, so tossing up between Bahco and Wera. Currently leaning towards Wera despite being a lot more exxy. Could go Stahwille but I'd literally have to kill myself if someone broke in and stole it.

Glad I can retire the Stanley stuff to the back of the car ;)

John U

MTB Precision
Nice.

I’ve you’ve got the scope, drilling holes in your bench top is a great way to store your screwdrivers. Neat and easy.

Shredden

Knows his goats
I’ve you’ve got the scope, drilling holes in your bench top is a great way to store your screwdrivers. Neat and easy.
I have a big solid steel bench that I'll inherit eventually (cant wait for a big proper vice and some good lighting), unfortunately at the moment I move house every year or so and have a small work bench/table that I take with me to fit into the small garages - I try to keep the tool collection all contained in the one big box I have because its easier to move. Last time we moved the big bench it took a few crowbars and some fence post rollers to get it into the garage. Eventually I'll have it set up and a nice wall of tools next to it. Along with the car hoist (okay, that one's a pipedream).

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Love a good wooden handle @Shredden

Hammers, files, screw drivers........ you name it, wood makes it so much nicer to hold. And when it gets that nice worn finish..... damn!

Might I suggest some through tang screw drivers for when you have to tap the back end with a hammer? You won’t smash up the nice handles then. One set to use for as a makeshift chisel and for really shitty corroded screws, another for nice screws.

Wera are good, the Bahco sockets I’ve used flogged out early. Rachets gave out and plastic cases shit me to tears

Repco are expensive but the ratchets are solid.

Tbh though I’ve been very impressed with this set. I’ve had it for 6 years now, aside from turning a few sockets down they’ve held up niceley, and no rubber handles (god I hate rubber handles)
https://www.blackwoodsxpress.com.au...sets/socket-set-106-piece-metric-a-f-jbs.html

My repco set’s ratchet and breaker bars are 2 years old and look terrible in comparison. Not to mention being more expensive.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Pretty comprehensive set. I'm pretty good for spanners and sockets, well, all tools really particularly for automotive stuff. But who doesn't love a full on socket set like that!

One thing that I don't have is a speed brace. Would be handy for a lot of what I do. Even though I have an air ratchet and a BFO compressor, I never use it. Always prefer the hands on of hand tools.

My father is a very good mechanic and he never uses sockets, always spanners. I keep saying to him "that would be so much quicker and easier with a socket" but he never thinks to use them because he didn't have them when he was an apprentice, back in like, 1765 or something.
Had to have a bit of a laugh when the old mechanic asks the apprentice if she has a Loctite certificate. Go to about 7mins in the vid and see how they can't work with normal tools these days. I never finish off bolts with air or electric tools but everything gets rattled up these days because it's quicker.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Goddam I love me some good tools!

Got to use my Cyclus bsa bb cutting and facing tool last night on the Liteville. It is a thing of wonder.

Even the wonderous Liteville had a few little imperfections that needed a shave.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Impressive looking tool. I hope it has a nice place to be displayed.
Unfortunately not. It's too heavy to be hung on the hook board, so it lives in the drawer with the cutting fluid.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Scotty675

Cable thief
Anyone had any experience with these?

75FD991C-B70F-4E7B-B7A9-85158B3E7A8A.jpeg
Time to upgrade to something a bit better quality. Was thinking these or parktool set.

John U

MTB Precision
I’ve got the park set but I find that I use the old Bondhus set most of the time. Park are good for the ball end and using the spinner holding thing when you need to wind in a bit of thread. They look pro also (not to be confused with Pro in this instance). Park ones can be a bit bulky at times.

Ultra Lord

Bondhus T handles are pretty good.

Hafco stuff is made of cheese. Haven’t used these allen keys specifically but there other stuff is low quality, I wouldn’t buy them for myself.

Ye ol’ bondhus allen keys are the go to. Solid, cheap. Red case. Awesome

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Bondhus T handles are pretty good.

Hafco stuff is made of cheese. Haven’t used these allen keys specifically but there other stuff is low quality, I wouldn’t buy them for myself.

Ye ol’ bondhus allen keys are the go to. Solid, cheap. Red case. Awesome
Yep, machinery house’s brands, e.g Hafco, are pretty average, bought cheaper on eBay usually, though not these sliding hex keys from a quick search’s

Personally I love 1/4” and 3/8” drive hex bits. Hex keys hurt my hands pretty quickly. Plus an 8mm hex bit 3/8th drive on a 500mm long breaker bar will never fail to get the job done.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I have got the Repco T handle set of Allen keys similar to those Pro Ts but red so much much faster, obviousy. All I could get at the time.

Were cheap and I cannot kill them. Feel good to use too. I have had the smaller ones bent like a banana undoing stuff and they are still fine.

Ultra Lord

This.

Does that Machinery House set have a ball end?
Nope.

Beware the snapped ball though, much easier to round out cap heads too.
Need both types of allen keys. Sometimes you need longer reach but need to put some force through it, enter allen key ball stuck in bolt.

A dude at work almost cried when I ground all the balls off a brand new set of allen keys haha, couldn’t buy a normal set at the time so I did what had to be done