The Tool Thread

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Nope.

Beware the snapped ball though, much easier to round out cap heads too.
Need both types of allen keys. Sometimes you need longer reach but need to put some force through it, enter allen key ball stuck in bolt.

A dude at work almost cried when I ground all the balls off a brand new set of allen keys haha, couldn’t buy a normal set at the time so I did what had to be done
+1 I've got ball end on my T handles and a set of standard Bondhus. The ball ends sometimes don't play nice with certain brake bolts etc.

Beware I've found the small Bondhus 1.5 and 2mm to be slightly out of spec.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Scotty675

Cable thief
+1 I've got ball end on my T handles and a set of standard Bondhus. The ball ends sometimes don't play nice with certain brake bolts etc.

Beware I've found the small Bondhus 1.5 and 2mm to be slightly out of spec.

I did notice they aren’t ball end. That’s were the set I have let’s me down. They are ball end but don’t play nice with bottom front calliper bolts. I do like the machinery house set though. Who thought choosing Allen keys could be so hard.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Nope.

Beware the snapped ball though, much easier to round out cap heads too.
Need both types of allen keys. Sometimes you need longer reach but need to put some force through it, enter allen key ball stuck in bolt.

A dude at work almost cried when I ground all the balls off a brand new set of allen keys haha, couldn’t buy a normal set at the time so I did what had to be done

juniors using ball ends on tight bolts buy lunch under my watch

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
How the hell are they getting the leverage to round out a bolt using the ball end of an allen key is what I want to know
Hack tip: Hook the ring end of a spanner over the allen key. Obviously not something you ever want to do, but it's got me out of trouble a couple of times in a pinch... ;)

boyracer

Likes Dirt
^^ laser cutter FTW
Know any high school teachers? ( still loads of work to draw/scan the tools in CAD though).
I did one in a violin case a few yonks ago for chef's knives. Also one in a commmodore 64 case I turned into a hinged knifecase...

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
A dremel with a router attachment in some high-density foam works really well for doing those style cut outs. But it takes ages, and you end up with foam dust everywhere. Definitely want to have a mask on if giving it a go. I've done a few drawers with it, and it can come up really neat if you're patient/OCD. Can look really shite if you rush it though!

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hack tip: Hook the ring end of a spanner over the allen key. Obviously not something you ever want to do, but it's got me out of trouble a couple of times in a pinch... ;)
Oh I do it all the time. It's the reason why I buy a new set every couple of years. You find some pretty seized in bolts on machinery that spends it's life in paddocks lol.
^^ laser cutter FTW
Know any high school teachers? ( still loads of work to draw/scan the tools in CAD though).
I did one in a violin case a few yonks ago for chef's knives. Also one in a commmodore 64 case I turned into a hinged knifecase...
Cant remember the exact name of it, vectoring maybe? Just lay all your tools out how you'd like them and take a photo. Pull that photo into a cad program and then do a vector of that drawing and fix any issues that come up. A ton easier than trying to draw them all individually.

John U

MTB Precision
Old mate goes through his process in the article. A good read. Think he just cut them out himself when he’d decided what tools were going where. The process for getting his tools in the right location, and in the correct level based on how frequently he used them was the time consuming process. Done over 4 months of wrenching.