The Tool Thread

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Ummm dont. They cause deformation on soft materials and then you need to file the tube to get it all to fit.
Haven’t deformed any of mine?
Don’t crank it too tight.
AND you need to file post hacksaw cut, I’ve always cleaned up bars and steerers with a one of those whirly jig deburrer thingies.

ausdb

Being who he is
can anyone recommend a decent hacksaw, for cutting items like steerer tubes?
If you want to buy a decent hacksaw, it's hard to go past the Sandvik (now Bahco) ones. Mines still going strong after about 25 years!
Cutting guides of course negate having to have a decent hacksaw.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
If your pipe cutters are deforming the steerer as you cut, best not to ride the forks once fitted....as the steerer is made of some sort of cheese!
Seriously, this is not a thing..I cut shitloads of copper and stainless pipe, and only have issues on larger copper pipes when using cutters with blunt wheels.
You still need to de-burr the inside and use a small piece of wen'n'dry to remove the flaring on the outside, but has never deformed the tubing

SummitFever

Eats Squid
I use our radial arm saw to cut alu all the time. Carbide tipped 40t saw blades last a long time and are so cheap they are not worth the trouble to regrind.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How do you go about getting it square to the blade?

How many wood blades to the steerer are you getting?
I just use a set of V blocks for the tube and shim the crown / lowers until it's level which I measure with a Wixie. The carbide wood blades are the best for aluminium, I use the drop saw for all my intercooler pipes, flat and angle. They last for ages provided that you let the blade do the work, don't force it.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Ahh, you guys are not using the blades for ally and wood simultaneously? Whenever I’ve done this in the past with good Irwin carbide tipped blades, the results going back to wood were very ordinary.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah, they are frame only blades if used on alloy. No good for doing finer work but I generally don't use the big saw for that stuff anyway.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Makes sense

Reminds me I need to spend some time modifying and improving the Ryobi saw, the fence is on the piss, nothing’s square. You get what you pay for.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Makes sense

Reminds me I need to spend some time modifying and improving the Ryobi saw, the fence is on the piss, nothing’s square. You get what you pay for.

My Makita 10" compound slide saw was the same. Years old now but I had to shim and adjust it so the detents were true and square. These days with all the wear I manually lock it in position.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Is there a Loctite stronger than 243 but still able to be undone with hand tools, ie not heat gun?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk