The UP thread.

pineapplehead

Likes Dirt
So anecdotally it would seem that the majority of farkiners are of the gravity inspired leaning (correct me if I'm wrong).

I had a roll out at the youeys today and was inspired to focus on defying gravity - that is, my climbing skills.
Who else here is into climbing technically challenging stuff?

For those that know it, I had a crack at climbing Junction track but was unsuccessful after the second uphill rock garden. I have managed lactic acid uphill only once before. But it makes me wonder who else is into such punishing challenges? I reckon that it's an under rated skill which I would love to better at.

Discuss.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've learned to love it. Say what you will about Strava but being able track your up times gives me enough motivation to try and best myself and others. The downhill is the reward at the end.

And since I live in a pretty flat area I do the same with our local that singletrack. Try and best your best times on the flats with long peddling efforts (30mins plus).

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Like the ups as much as the downs. The satisfaction of clearing uphill techy obstacles is on par with clearing jumps on the way down.

Being able to ride the climbs and not feel smashed gives you a great feeling.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Ignore Poodle, he's the poster boy for the down only club who will walk up a 2% incline.

I'm just as happy going up as down.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
Any idiot can go down, going up is more of a challenge. Well done on getting through the first garden on track 14. I've had a couple of goes at it and not succeeded.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
A few years ago, while on Christmas holidays at Dromana, we were riding Red Hill everyday, climbing up then bombing down. Then it occurred to us, we got two cars with racks, why climb? So for about a week we shuttled, and initially it was cool, all downhills, fun, fun, fun.

But after a while we realized we definitely weren’t as satisfied after our rides. Adrenaline on its own is not as good as adrenaline and endorphins combined. So, we stopped shuttling, hit Pine Climb and got the super post ride buzz back.

stirk

Burner
I love the technical climb on the single tracks and a long uphill slog on fire trail although I get beat by both often. If you've cleared a section in the past but on subsequent attempts failed the trail taunts you back for another try. Tight and steep switchbacks are my nemisis.

moorey

call me Mia
There’s a thing called balance. There’s also a thing called context.
I am all for a good climb. I prefer Enduro races to DH these days, mainly for the opportunity to spend more time on the bike.
But, sometimes you get the chance to do 15 runs in a day instead of 4...and that’s also a good thing.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Like the ups as much as the downs. The satisfaction of clearing uphill techy obstacles is on par with clearing jumps on the way down.

Being able to ride the climbs and not feel smashed gives you a great feeling.
Have to agree here. Most places I've ended up at need you to ride up and down. I used to hate climbing but have learnt to enjoy it more now. I'll never be a mountain goat but but will give anything a go.

Bottomless lungs and low gears are you friends.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
If you've cleared a section in the past but on subsequent attempts failed the trail taunts you back for another try. Tight and steep switchbacks are my nemisis.
I think I know where you mean.

Going up BMX hill at the Oaks is a grinder.

The first three switchbacks out of Bedford Creek sneer at you and laugh when you run out of gas or lose traction.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I am all for a good climb.
Quote of the day.

I knew you would be up for the inaugural RB uphill racing series if we gave you more time. One of us, one of us.....

Poodle's in too despite his earlier thumbs down.

teK--

Eats Squid
There’s a thing called balance. There’s also a thing called context.
I am all for a good climb. I prefer Enduro races to DH these days, mainly for the opportunity to spend more time on the bike.
But, sometimes you get the chance to do 15 runs in a day instead of 4...and that’s also a good thing.
This guy hit the nail on the head.

Also some places are so inefficient to shuttle that you reach that nice middle ground of somewhere between 4 and 15 runs but under your own steam. You get a good number of downs with the satisfaction of maximum saddle time. Day also works out cheaper too ;)

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
I hate climbing, but sometimes you just gotta. I was out at Forrest t'other day, and I pushed myself to do more climbing than I needed to, because I'm shit at it and need to get better.